1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet will be the worst FA acquisition in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 29, 2023.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Fred has been freaking fantastic.

Super pleased with the leadership of both he and DB, and I am constantly astonished by their patience.

A hierarchy has been established, and our young guys are getting better every single game. Couldn't be more thrilled with the season so far, just need to get the defensive dogs healthy.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Fred was around a top 20 player by impact the last few seasons, 38th this season with some combination of regression and others improving. He still has been everything I said he was and one of the main contributors to the Rockets improving this year and why you will be banned when they win 40 games by the end of the season after losing our bet.

cbass, RudyTBag and roslolian like this.
  3. billWorellshow

billWorellshow New Member

don’t forget uncle jeff :)

4. anchel

anchel Member

You dont get this cultural change and leadership with current Harden. Current Harden is motivated... under a contending project, wouldn't be the case here. Fred is a better leader than Harden. Fred is better defensively. ... He's been everything I expected and exactly what this team needed at the moment. Of course he is overpayed, but doesn't really matter, as it was explained at the moment.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I wouldn't hold my breath. The dude has never admitted he was wrong ever, even when he said CWood wasn't worth a FRP and then CWood literally got traded for a FRP.

Plowman likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Dying on the mountain doesn’t make it true. He Never ever was. Lol you still trying to count those chickens before they hatch. Hilarious. You’re seeing the rockets for what they are. A non 40 win team. Who in reality are an under .500 team. Keep it up. Makes it even sweeter. I’ll kick back and watch everything unfold just like I have been all year

Top 20 player. Utterly delusional. Hes the same guy who can’t lead a team to over .500. Never did. Never will. 40 win team. Laughable. He’s always been the guy to help a true alpha. Clock is ticking on you. Enjoy it while you can. Judging by a lot of the posts over the last week there sure a lot of folks that will be cheering at your disposal

#426 YOLO, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    gumbleton3 likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Good old YOLO, always taking the under on the Rockets. :D:D:D Love you man!

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think it is going to be pretty close guys. 40 wins is my goal number for the Rockets. I'd be ecstatic.

I think with Tari+DB+Bari healthy, we are for sure a 40+ win team.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I actually have the over 31.5 wins. a few more losses and they're trending towards barely going over that.

They'll hit the 35 range most likely. sitting at a whopping 4 road wins is pretty sad when the 2nd half of the season is already underway. Even the 7 win washington has that much. and detroit is the only other team with less

10. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We'll see. I could see us chasing .500 If we get the dogs back healthy, and If JG's minutes decrease.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

For me that makes more sense for next year. not so much this year as it's the transition year with a lot of brand new ingredients and fresh kids still

next year is all about continuity, and continuing to build upon the experience and development. challenging for .500 should absolutely be a possibility end of next season

#431 YOLO, Jan 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    RudyTBag likes this.
  12. astros123

astros123 Member

We're paying him alot of money to be average.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

to be fair, wood wasn't actually WORTH a 1st rounder lol

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

At the time he was worth it since he got traded for a 1st rounder.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

FVV has been fine. Im glad to have him BUT I will also be glad to trade him next year and let Amen take over.

jcmoon likes this.
  16. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

2 years and a team option is not a bad signing.

As I learned this offseason a team cannot hold salary cap season to season waiting for a particular player. He was best available.

The man goes from undrafted to key piece on a champion. If nothing else he has tenacity and grit, and my guess is we hope his good habits and traits rub off on the young guys. He's more or less an expensive on court coach, but I don't think he was ever meant to be a long term solution.

Next season he will be an expiring contract and we'll probably look to trade him by the deadline. Similar to Russ last season. My guess anyway.

If we had him on a 3 year deal with a player option for the 4th I'd want Stone fired immediately.

I realize we're all antsy to get back into the playoffs, but I'd rather keep building towards a window of true championship contention than mediocrity. We've got the superstar in Sengun, but he's 21. Most NBA superstars aren't ready to win until at least their mid 20s. Jokic, LeBron, Shaq, Curry, Giannis, Duncan (without Robinson) all 27. MJ and Kobe (by himself) 28. Tatum would be 26 if Boston wins this year.

Point being NBA history says don't rush.

#436 nolimitnp, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    jcmoon likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he will be good in history as a mentor rather than somebody who brings us back to contention or near a championship.

A little helper along the way.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I hope after next year we can re-negotiate him to a long-term team friendly deal where he can be our bench PG for the next 4 years. Having that sort of stability would do wonders while the team transitions from young and developing to contending.

But he will probably chase a bag somewhere else as he will only be 31 and we will struggle to find consistency at the 1 spot off the bench.

Little Bit and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Freddy If Only he would be 5 years younger Van Vleetstone.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

FVV = 42Ms
    James Harden = 35Ms

LOL