1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

That's Jalen man

HardenReturns and cdastros like this.
  2. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

You’re gonna need a gold membership to get out of the doghouse now.

3. cml750

cml750 Member

He does not like Sengun, never has. He has an agenda against him. He did absolutely zero to help push people to vote for him for the all-star game even though he has done it for others in the past.

4. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is a group of rockets fans that think Sengun is not worth building around. Despite his improvement, and emergence as the best player on the current roster, his lack of size and athleticism will prevent him from ever reaching that upper echelon of true franchise players. His defensive shortcomings are too much to overcome. He will get targeted on defense in the playoffs, abused in the pick and roll, and he will never be able to defend the lob. These are just physical limitations, not something he can really fix.

If we assume all that is true then it’s important for the good of the franchise that the front office understands this a moves forward accordingly. We cannot go all in on Sengun, we will never be a legitimate contender if we do so.

As I said there are a group of fans that think this way and I think Clutch is in this group. He can correct me if I’m wrong but I think he would agree with everything I wrote above. So I think he likes to point out any performance that supports the above thesis.

tagedieb, plegus, karakedi and 3 others like this.
  5. AmenTheSuperstar

I think that they are going to accuse you of being "Sengunanic" just because you have mentioned what is going on. If that's true, then the agenda against Sengun is very interesting to observe and I'm not sure how it benefits our community and team overall. Considering his overall contribution so far, I don't think Sengun is that much of a divisive player. Is there a better alternative to Sengun that can make the Rockets a better team without having to trade him? Is this an agenda to make sure that he is traded?

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Yea, Sengun is my favorite player so I do not really care if anyone calls me a "Sengunanic". I became a Rockets fan when Moses Malone was patrolling the paint for this team. I have been a member of Clutchfans since the early 2000's and a lurker going back to 1999 so I was here before Sengun was born, but I will wear the "Sengunanic" badge with honor. He is my favorite player since Dream.

As for Clutch, I think he wants a guard heavy team with a rim running center. I think he wants us to return to the Harden style heavy iso style. He thinks, or at least thought, Jalen Green is the main guy on the team. Unfortunately for him, Sengun will be here for at least the next decade while Jalen will not likely make it past this years trade deadline.

7. AmenTheSuperstar

I get it, and the point of exposing his weaknesses after a bad game is to prove that he's not a serviceable player during the playoffs. If we're planning for the playoffs early, I'm not sure how many other players have shown promise of being serviceable in the playoffs. If we take Sengun out of this team and replace him with a rim protector, I'm not sure how things will get better and fix the problems with our current players. You might be slightly better on defense, but what about offense? Our team definitely lacks an offensive creator and Sengun is the best at it on the team. Trading him for another creator and a rim protector would be optional, but not sure what the return would be.

HardenReturns likes this.
  8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Why because he acknowledges Sengun's atrocious defense? Sengun is bad on defense, the worst on the team..No agenda needed

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

because it triggers Sengun only fans.

34to11 likes this.
  10. AmenTheSuperstar

I wish he would also share something to trigger someone like me as a "Amen Only Fan" :(

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

maybe if enough people b**** and moan about Clutch being biased 24/7 towards Amen, he might do it tooo:)

12. invocux

invocux Member

I don't mind him getting benched in the 4th quarter. The whole game they doubled, trippled Sengun. I don't know if people saw that but Cam Thomas in the half time interview implied that locking down Sengun was their game plan. Their coach had praised Sengun earlier this month so basically the league knows him now. Anyone can have a bad game but the problem is generally speaking when Sengun is off rhythm our offense goes to ****. We can't afford him to not score at least 20+ points and make 5+ assists a game. Because FVV only knows spamming Sengun pnr and when Sengun is having a rough game he starts chucking up threes. Green, Tate brick threes. Cam's tunnel vision start hurting us. Ball doesn't move it turns into hero ball like it did in the 1st quarter. In a 3pt era we are way too dependent on Sengun because we don't have shooters and our point guard isn't very clever.

I think Ime wasn't gonna bench him if had that lineup sucked but it worked so you can't blame Ime for trusting the guys on the floor. They were delivering. Ime doesn't hate Sengun he hates bad performances. If he hated him he wouldn't encourage others to give him the ball and get out the way in OT's or let him go at Lebron in Lakers game like he knows that Sengun's clutch.

tagedieb and plegus like this.
  13. maypk

maypk Member

Haha. Nope. Not even close.

He is on the hunt for Sengun because he's a much better player than he gave him credit for. He doubted him since, before Sengun was even drafted, he thought starting Bruno Fernando over Sengun was a good idea and trading him for Dyson Daniels would be great.

Just like many other posters here, he just can't step back from his bad takes but doubles down on them instead. That's why he's bashing on him when opportunity presents itself.

14. Umut

Umut Member

I wrote before, he has no credit, he has to play well in every match, every match, every match in which he scores under 20 points is criticized.

15. omgTHEpotential

It's a little painful to read tweets like that posting 1 game samples and choosing to ignore the season as a whole.

Just for the record, in the 2023-24 season:

Sengun: 119 ORtg 110 DRtg
    Tate: 118 ORtg 113 DRtg
    Green: 104 ORtg 114 DRtg
    VanVleet: 122 ORtg 114 DRtg
    Brooks: 109 ORtg 115 DRtg

16. AmenTheSuperstar

How can we make sure that this data is valid and that it is not the work of a sengunatic? I just want to make sure that we are all unbiased with the data here.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

This team started losing more when it shifted to try to get Jalen "going" more. Maybe it's a Stone directive that Ime is going along with because Stone promised him he'd trade him at the deadline no matter what. Doesn't seem like something Ime would want to do.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2024.html

Go to per 100 possessions. Very easy to look up, if you’re not a troll

If you look at Advanced stats, Alp leads in almost every category

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We are trying to showcase him for a trade.

cml750 likes this.
  20. AmenTheSuperstar

Thank you for the data. I will check it for the future use.