1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. the shark

the shark Member

Deferred $$ is Deferred $$ (through a trade or signing someone in FA) and Crane was willing to take it on (62.5 mil so we're not talking about chump change) in order to get Greinke (to make this trade happen). Greinke's been gone the past two seasons and Crane paid out 12.5 mil each season and he's on the hook for 12.5 mil for three more yrs. Does he regret doing it? Who knows.

Maybe Bregman (and Crane) aren't interested in structuring a contract with Deferred money but maybe Tucker is or Framber is.

2. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Pipe dream, but man they must hate their fans lol

3. the shark

the shark Member

I understand how it works. I know it's a pipe dream of trying to find a way to keep Bregman around but I've come to the conclusion (as most have) that him and Tuck and Framber will walk and it is what it is. Hopefully we can win another WS this yr or next while they're here as I'm not interested in trading any of them.

4. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I've never understood the hate toward Fiers. The team was clearly in the wrong and he basically didn't feel right about it and blew the whistle. He's being outed as a snitch but what exactly is so wrong about that when what we were doing was wrong?

5. awc713

awc713 Member

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I think we can actually land Snell. It’s the most logical all-in move we can make…and if his only offer (reportedly) is 150m from NYY, it’s a number we can palate (we’re clearly not ponying up for any of these 200-300m deals). Plus we are clearly in “f it”/all in mode with the Hader signing.

Dallas is going to have DeGrom and Max…I could see Crane tripling down with a front line of JV, Snell, Framber…and of course we have solid pitching depth and could move the same for help in the lineup if necessary.

Maybe 2024 and 2025 are the crescendo for this glorious, glorious run. Thank you Crane.

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think he had a axe to grind with the team and that's why he did it after he wasn't on the team. He could have very eaily have been a secret whistle-blower while on the team of he was so bothered by it

Stephen66, cbass, panamamyers and 4 others like this.
  7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I can see them taking him on and then hoping mcculers comes back strong like he did 2 years ago and trading him for prospects to shed his 17 million. That would make snells salary more manageable and you could get some prospects.

8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Maybe cause he's a pedo

Stephen66, Viol8r, marks0223 and 3 others like this.
  9. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

All it took was a MiLB contract and an invite to spring training for the Rangers to sign Walsh. That is a move the Astros should have made months ago.

10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Except he sucks and it would be a waste of time and a spot for us…

11. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

If you have never understood it, no one’s explanation here is going to change that.

Nuance, context, intentions.

Mike Fiers is a b****.

12. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

You thinking he did it because he “didn’t feel right about it” is where you missed your exit.

Stephen66, Nook, marks0223 and 9 others like this.
  13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

He's a pedo and a guy who only snitched because he didn't get his way. He's absolute garbage. How anyone could defend him is beyond me.

Stephen66, right1, marks0223 and 8 others like this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

And since they already signed one QO FA, Snell will cost Houston less relative to other teams (from a certain point of view). I was kind of surprised they didn’t structure Hader’s deal to be front loaded with an opt out, but they could do that with Snell to make him tradeable or to limit the CBT implications after 2025.

awc713 and Amadeus Rooster like this.
  15. Amadeus Rooster

Sounds like we would approve a Snell addition of the lefty! That would be amazing for my purposes of being a fanatic for the Stros. Is Snell a free agent or do we need to trade to snag him? I guess I could use the googles to find out myself..
    Breathing Orange Fire! Lesssgooooo!!!!

16. Amadeus Rooster

Ok. Snell is a Free Agent. Thanks

Bday is Dec 4th and he is 31 years of age. How long does Crane n co sign players 31 years of age? Snell would be expected to perform at a hi level for 3 years or beyond?

Analytics says what?

I will hang up n listen.

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Where are all these snell rumors coming from?
    Did I miss something?

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

No you did not miss anything. People are just bantering over possibilities. Keeps the thread interesting.

desihooper likes this.
  19. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Certainly Neris was hoping to get more than that. I wanted him to cash in. He was very solid for the Stros. I think (and most teams around the league) are expecting him to decline in performance soon.

#3819 Htown Legend, Jan 27, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
  20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What was his option worth had he exercised it to stay in Houston?