1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Patrick Queens market value right now is 5 years, 93 million.

I think Texans could land him, because the Ravens have 5-10 million in effective space. I thought I saw somewhere that he likes Houston.

Houston has Harris so idk how that changes things.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I sure hope you are right. It really stinks having to miss nearly all of their 12 noon games. I will probably attend multiple 3pm or prime time home games should they have any. Going to the Browns playoff game was so much fun I'm craving more!

Rockets FTW and raining threes like this.
  3. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pair him with Harris and Cashman…Harris improved in coverage but it’s a league of LBs now with how teams use RBs and TEs

Rockets FTW likes this.
  4. raining threes

Draft DeJohn at 1-23 and that's an elite defense.

Fulgore, Rudyc281, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Six is actually the max amount the NFL allows for primetime/"stand alone" games. So yeah probably 5 for the Texans realistically considering that, with more late starts like you said

raining threes likes this.
  6. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Chris Jones incoming.

Fulgore likes this.
  7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Sorry, not the same, Tunsil is a proven commodity and Stingley was ok last year and great this year and Green has been horrible since day 1. IMO the Texans shut him down because they knew they had a ton of work to do with the kid between the ears. I hope I am wrong as I prefer not to have a bust drafted so high, but it happens and you move on

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yep. Nico Collins is a terrific WR - but, as we saw, he can be neutralized. The key to unlocking him is 1-2 more playmakers that demand the defense's attention. The Ravens were not remotely concerned with Singletary, Schultz, Woods, Brown, Hutchinson, Metchie...

Even a healthy Tank Dell isn't enough. They need more weapons.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  9. Hey Now!

I really think they'll do Dallas/Houston Thanksgiving. I predicted in another thread that I thought they'd get 3 prime time games - two on Monday; one Sunday. The bigger news is that - especially with that schedule, which also has Baltimore, Miami and Detroit - they're going to be in more national games if they're good, including 1-2 3pm games. The days of getting CBS' Z-team every week may be coming to an end. More Nantz, more Harland, etc.

10. Hey Now!

Last year, the Jags essentially had the same season as the Texans did this year: young QB; won a (weak) division; made some noise in the playoffs; looked like the "hot" team in '23... And they got three prime time games. The Lions were another Texans-like team in '22 - they got four prime time games (and none on Sunday night). (Of note, the Texans do play in Kansas City - so if the Chiefs win it, Houston could get the same treatment as the Lions and be the opening prime time game v the Chiefs.)

Anyway, I think that's the template - 3 games is my prediction. Keep in mind two things: 1) the NFL doesn't move *that* fast; it usually takes a year for the league to catch up to itself; 2) the NFL isn't going to ignore how utterly outclassed the Texans looked Saturday against the Ravens - that was varsity/junior varsity-like, so they'll likely note that for all of Houston's promise, they might still be a year away (see the previous point)

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

March 5th is the deadline to apply the franchise tag. I still believe Texans will use it on JG.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Please don’t compare us to the Jags last year.. I can’t handle next year ending the way the Jags did this year haha.

red5rocket likes this.
  13. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

I say go after maduibuike from Baltimore, trade back from 1st and get future picks

14. Hey Now!

When teams overachieve, it is not terribly uncommon to have a "step back" year. Think Astros in '16. The schedule is harder, the expectations are heavier; some of the lucky bounces don't go your way; the injuries stack up...

You can try and circumvent it by not being complacent - but it's sometimes impossible to avoid.

Sooty and houstonstime like this.
  15. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

16. conquistador#11

chronicle has Dalton wanting 10 -12 million a season.
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ans-free-agents-offseason-roster-18620699.php
    Loved the Schultz signing , really wanted it to be 2 years instead of a one year deal. But there are three other talented tight ends that you can acquire for 40% less. If we're going to spend on some legit "front" free agents, $10-12 milly for a TE is a yuge no no. Every million counts.

You pay Greenard. 15-17m

You pay Cashman $8 mill per
    cut Woods
    And let everyone else walk. We will always have 2023. Here is looking at you, Nelson.

Once those moves are done, that will leave around 40 million. The $11 million for the 2024 draft class leaves $29 milly to spend on splashy or semi splashy free agents.

DT of choice, 62 mil/4 years

Fant or Henry at TE, 22 million/3 years. Slowik called the TE the Qb's 'binky'. So it's crucial to get one that will be here more than one season.

Now there is less than $5 million. We bout' to be broke boys and we still need another LB, RB and CBs!
    Restructure 2 contracts and we back up! $13 million in Hannah's Gucci bag after some loopholes.
    Sign Azeez Al- Shaair. Can't let him get away again.
    Bring back Shaq Griffin. Bygones be bygones.
    Sign King again in June.

Which means a rookie or two will have the opportunity to start at the position we didn't sign in Free agency. I like it when rookies start more excitement for the season.
    Rookie LB
    Rookie RB
    Rookie WR.
    Rookie CB
    Rookie Safety that can also play nickel.

Updated FA rankings from 2 days ago:
    https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2024-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

I would like Queen, coveted him and Tart for a while but it looks like DT is the bigger priority for Meco. As for Tart, he was in the healthy inactives for the two playoff games. I doubt he'd want to stay after that.

TLDR. It's impossible to make 2 splashy moves like Queen followed by a star DT.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've thought about that...specifically in relation to those 2016 Astros which was among my least favorite seasons by any Houston team ever.

Having said that, my glass half full angle is that I have a difficult time imagining that, aside from a serious "out for the year" injury to CJ, that we will have MORE injuries to significant players next season than we had this season. Of course that's all conjecture...but holy smokes, we had a crap load of really significant injuries to this team all season long.

Hey Now! and conquistador#11 like this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Hey Now!

My biggest takeaway from Saturday was the glaringly obvious talent disparity between us and Baltimore (thanks, Nick Caserio, for doing VIRTUALLY NOTHING for two full years, other than hire comically bad head coaches! I digress....). I think the same would be said for any of the league's elite teams. Great season - but the Texans are not on that elite level yet.

And so, while I'm loathe to play the strength of schedule game this far out - I mean, barring a significant injury, Baltimore, Buffalo, Dallas, Detroit & Kansas City are going to be elite next season. That's a third of their schedule. They have the offseason to close some of the gap - and hopefully they will! But, man... it's going to be a much different season, that's for sure.

MadMax and Deep Steel Truth like this.
  20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member