1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. plegus

plegus Member

AlperenSengun likes this.
  2. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You can’t imagine how many times I faced non-basketball attacks when trying to talk basketball :), you get caught in it.

plegus likes this.
  3. plegus

plegus Member

Yes ofc, but you got caught in, if and only if you let it be. I know for a fact that being indifferent to cyber bullying-harassing-trolling can be hard but it helps knowing the fact that if you meet face to face to those people you would either be in a nice civilized convo with drinks on the side or they are sad, lonely, psychotic human beings who will skitter back to their lairs :)

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So rather than comparing him to somebody who you say, he is more advanced than, you rather compare him to somebody who is more advanced than him? Hmmm

Let me ask you this, did you know the same things they are saying about Sengun now, they said about Sabonis back then? A player you can run your offense through, great passer, offensive servant, etc.

#1184 hlmbasketball, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    anthony59237 likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think I have insulted @Clutch or "accused" @Clutch of anything. I'm also not "after changing @Clutch's behaviour".

I have just been convinced for a pretty long time (at the latest ever since that Sengun game vs. Lebron and the Lakers) that Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player, that he has the potential to be as much of a cornerstone as Jokic is for Denver, and that it will be best for the Rockets to build around him like Denver did with Jokic.

And since @Clutch is the most important Rockets fan in the world in my book, I'm just interested in whether his opinion - where he didn't want to draft Sengun even at no. 20 in the draft, wasn't initially happy with him being drafted, clearly seemed to not view Sengun as part of the core, gave the Rockets props for "doing this so early" (benching Sengun for Bruno Fernando), would have been willing to trade Sengun for AJ Griffin, Jaden Ivey, to trade up to get Scoot Henderson, etc. - has changed at all, in light of Sengun's strong play under Udoka.

It doesn't necessarily seem that way, and that's absolutely his prerogative. He never mentioned Sengun's all-star "candidacy", no matter whether Tari and Jabari and other players tried to prop up their teammate, or whether he showed up with more votes than Wembanyama and Holmgren combined. This is after he seems to have supported many other Rockets players when it came to the fan vote in the past. That's also his prerogative, and his right. It's just noticeable, that's all.

I can't think of any other Rockets "influencer" or media person who, at this point, hasn't said that Sengun is our best player and/or should be an all-star.

Noticing that @Clutch isn't one of those is not an "accusation" or insult.

Not sure why any of that would be ban-worthy?

Have I been teasing him a bit? Yes.

Is @Clutch one who keeps receipts and can dish it out? You saw that in his last post on this thread. And that's fine. I always think that people who can dish it out can also take a little bit of ribbing. But we will see.

It's @Clutch's site - best basketball fan community in the world - @Clutch can do whatever he wants. I don't think I have been rude or disrespectful to him.

duluth111222, clos4life and Zen Tabak like this.
  6. the11mingdynasty

the11mingdynasty Contributing Member

Lion worrying about lambs. Hehe, it’s working.

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

don’t know if anyone else can reach atw level in being an alpi fan, lol.

The stuff I say about are one time thing, just calling out what I see. It is not going after someone and I don’t expect any reaction. The stuff like 'sengun has a bad work ethic' definitely needs a mention. I think it is normal and fair and doesn't disrupt the forum. The rest of the talk is there because some posters make illogical explanations to why what I wrote must be wrong or claim that clutch thinks something, which is completely opposite to what he does . Naturally the talk goes on about clutch but it is just supporting the initial claim. And I think the hypocrisy of those posters is well worth pointing out.

Clutch can put the hammer on anybody he wants. but if he is only putting the hammer on some only fans but not their counter part haters who disrupt the forum as much, then again that is an unfair act.

CXbby and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I thought you wanted him to support sengun's all star campaign. I had used the 'change his behaviour' in a positive way actually in that context.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pretty historic company to be in.

Is it really that unreasonable to ask, if he is not the best player ("nope") on the Rockets, then who is?

I could see FVV being "the leader", but I would argue Alpi is the best player. And he is doing it at 21.

Why not build around him?

plegus likes this.
  10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Sengun
    Cam
    Eason
    Jabari
    Amen

Are the core in that order

Jalen needs to come off the bench, who cares about this kid's confidence. If he doesn't believe in himself then I don't either.

cmoak1982 and PeterKingX like this.
  11. TheJet

TheJet Member

Bingo. If you were around then and had to endure wading through some of the BS on both sides of those arguments, ugh. It was horrible. It made actual basketball discussions damn near impossible without liberal use of the ignore function. And it's a lose/lose scenario regardless of which side is "right".

I love the debates about player projections, "what If' line ups and trade possibilities. It's all part of the fun. But when it comes down to brass tacks I don't care about who the best player is or how we're winning games. If we're winning games and competing for a title that's all that matters. That's my end game. I want the team to succeed. I want the city and the fans to celebrate those titles like I did on Richmond. I want that Astros sweet nectar. And I want it for the Texans as well. (Mote to self: Check for only fan debates and arguments in the NFL forums) ;)

Easy likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Well, it would have been nice, but if he doesn't want to, then that's totally his right.

It's just different compared to how other Rockets players who were "within reach" were supported in the past.

No big deal either way. Looks like Alpi did quite ok in the fan vote even without an official Clutchfans endorsement.

clos4life, plegus and AlperenSengun like this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

From CBS Sports, NBA "Mid-Season Grades" for the Rockets:

Houston Rockets: B+

[​IMG]

• Record: 20-22
    • The basics: 22nd in offense, 8th in defense, 17th in net rating (+0.3)
    • One notable stat: Ime Udoka and the new additions on the team (Fred VanVleet, Dillon Brooks) have come in and taken a 29th-ranked defense from a season ago, to a top-10 defense.
    • One reason for optimism: For all the comparisons to Jokic, Sengun is scoring the ball more efficiently and at a higher clip than Jokic did in his third season in the league.
    • One reason for pessimism: Jalen Green's development seems to have taken a step backward this season, as he's averaging fewer points while shooting a career-low 39.7% from the field and from deep (32.0%).
    The Rockets have been one of the most disciplined teams on defense this season, a major shock given where this team was a year ago. Credit Udoka for stepping in and fixing some bad habits some of the younger players formed over the past couple seasons along with the additions of VanVleet and Brooks. The offense hasn't caught up yet, but there's reason to believe that could turn around. Sengun's rapid development into becoming the go-to guy has been a treat to watch, and Jabari Smith Jr. 's improved efficiency from his rookie season is also notable. The Rockets could use some more shooting on the team as the trade deadline nears, as they rank 24th in 3-point percentage, but even if that help doesn't come right now, they figure to be fighting for a Play-In Tournament spot toward the end of the season. -- Wimbish

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Ah, so now we're added wilful ignorance/intellectual dishonesty to the playbook? I'll leave you to argue your straw man with people who have time.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

When one don't have anything to say, they tend to bow out.

16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Francis avg 25/5/5
    Russell Westbrook avg a triple double

Those are just players off the top of my head who were statical nightmares but it didnt lead to a championship. Stats are for fans

We need to look at building a championship roster and it starts with length. If you can tell me Sengun is going to grow to 7ft and be a force in the paint on the defensive end....IM ALL IN

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun is the same height as Hakeem and Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett, taller than Larry Bird and Magic Johnson, much taller than Charles Barkley.

He is pretty much exactly the average height of an NBA center. Is he a Wembanyama or Yao Ming? No. Is he tall enough? Yes.

Really not sure why you are so obsessed with height.

Skill is more important.

plegus, clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said.

[​IMG]

DD

#1198 DaDakota, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Did you really just post something and tell yourself "well said"?

lol

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Well said was for you silly......the round about sucking up, well said, but I will fix it for your pedantic self.

[​IMG]

DD

Plowman and AroundTheWorld like this.