1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Identifying the Rockets core

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 9, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

That's really not how people use the term "untouchable." I get that it's not really definitional, but when people say "untouchable," they generally mean that they value a player so much on our team that it's not reasonable to expect that a team would offer commensurate value. Obviously the Bucks aren't trading Giannis for Amen. That's not the point.

#1101 Houston77, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, but clearly they're trading Giannis for Alpi . . . I mean, who wouldn't?? if the opportunity presented itself

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Correct! If the Pacers can trade Sabonis, who I compare to Sengun, a very good, short offensive center, the Rockets can trade Sengun.

The thing fans have to get past is what is it going to take to win in the PLAYOFFS, not just in the regular season. If our play against Philly, Boston and other top tier teams didnt show us anything, it showed us that you have to have;

LENGTH IN THE PAINT, 3PT SHOOTING AND PLAYERS WHO CAN PLAY EFFECTIVELY ON BOTH ENDS OF THE COURTS.

I continue to say, I don't dislike Sengun as a Rocket or as a person, he just does not offer, I THINK, what it will take to win in the Playoffs

#1103 hlmbasketball, Jan 22, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024
    anthony59237 likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You would not.

5. Houston77

Supporting Member

Well, yeah. Obviously.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Here's one, would you trade Sengun for Chet Holmgren? Evan Mobley? Markkanen?

The Pacers traded Sabonis for Hallerburton. Who won that trade?

7. Strawberry Gum

Nah.

NewAge likes this.
  8. Gergin

Gergin Member

Well he helped them to get to the playoffs after 16 years.

9. Houston77

Supporting Member

No. No. No.

Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In retrospect the Pacers because Haliburton would have more years as a perennial All Star and potential franchise player to come.....

Also I think they will make more merchandise money with Hali Potter than Sabonis......

Haliburton is already leading the All Star Voting by a landslide in the East (Guards).... while Sabonis' popularity is dwindling.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this, what player do you compare favorably to Sengun? And where do you see Sengun in the next 2yrs? First, second, or third team All-NBA?

12. cumutk

cumutk Member

Are you a joke ? Clown? Comedian?
    This is not a stage or movie my friend.
    You are in the wrong place, this is a basketball thread.
    Putting Alpi and Jalen the same category, putting this teams rooks-who have not still proved themselves as NBA players as core.
    This is Sengun's team, some of idiots like you find it Hard to accept it , but this is reality.
    Everyone including Stone goes from this franchise, but Sengun not.
    He is one of NBA's best 25 players list right now.

13. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think he’ll probably be an All NBA player within the next 3 years and gunning for first team within the next five.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. BullRider

BullRider Member

god I miss the days of clutch pulling receipts LMAO.

Easy and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

that’s really the essence of it. You have kpj, wood on your team and you are talking about work ethic of Sengun. And just by looking at on court behavior anyone could tell the guy is a hard worker or at least be embarrassed to talk about Sengun like that without having spent the same energy for kpj. If you cannot see that, you can easily ask yourself how can a slow, unathletic kid became mvp at 18 or how did he become lottery talent, when at age 16 he wasn’t even projected to play in the nba? This and a lot of other negative propaganda with no basis, jumping on every opportunity to criticize Sengun, or the Bruno piece just piles up and normally puts people off. Even this year, I turned on the rockets watch twice, maybe with an extremely unlikely coincidence, I found myself in a discussion about Sengun’s defensive weaknesses. Yeah, you can try to sell that sof do not want any criticism, right? lol.

The twitter thing is where it becomes very visible and why it is the subject of conversation but it is not the important thing.

CXbby likes this.
  16. Strawberry Gum

I'd definitely trade him for players that proved they can carry a team to a championship. Giannis, Jokic, I think Luka also partially proved that, so him too. He can also be traded for other All-NBA level players depending on the shape of our squad and the trade package.

I'm not trading him anything under a top 15 guy. At least right now. You regularly forget or pretend to forget that Sengun is still 21. He still has years to his prime and he's already showing that he can dominate a game, make his presence felt. It is apparent that other teams are wary of Sengun when they are facing us. The kid has limitless potential and it would be a waste trading him this young. If we find out that it's impossible to win a title with him as one of our best players, then yeah, we can adjust our way of thinking. We still have at least a few years to measure that properly. No need to rush. Just enjoy your 21 year old All-Star.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

This is how I feel about Sengun.

At the time, the reigning NBA MVP was Stephen Curry. Kevin Durant was the previous MVP. There was also a guy called Lebron James. And James Harden.

Malone would not have traded Jokic for them.

And he was right.

This is the kind of commitment "the organization" and its fans should be making to Alperen Sengun.

He is that kind of talent.

cumutk, Holybats and Strawberry Gum like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jesus, why do you guys care so much about what Clutch thinks, or doesn't think?

I have NEVER heard him say the things you two folks accuse him of saying, and I am on RocketsWatch with him all the time, I have only heard him say, the org thinks this or that....and he is relaying the information?

Why are you blasting him for him sharing his insight?

Clutch has the patience of jobe, you guys clearly both need a timeout.

DD

anthony59237 and Os Trigonum like this.
  19. cumutk

cumutk Member

Sengun will be future MVP candidate...
    Just needs real, good shooters around him...
    Some fans still can not understand or maybe do not want to understand the fact that in Sengun, Rockets has 4-5 years best center, all star player and the center face of not only Rockets, but NBA...

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Could you explain the bolded part? What exactly is the "accusation" you are referring to?