1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I would love to see separation numbers, but I guess they're behind pay walls.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Legette is available on our first pick, would you take him over all these guys?

Some of the latest mock draft picks.

23. Houston Texans (from Cleveland Browns) - Kris Jenkins, DL, Michigan

With Sheldon Rankins set to hit free agency, the Texans land an ascending interior defensive lineman in Kris Jenkins.

23. Houston Texans (from Browns)
    Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois (6-2, 295 pounds)

Newton will be a candidate to come off the board a little earlier but the Texans should make him a target if available with his natural run-stopping ability and pass-rushing upside for DeMeco Ryans.

Round 1 - Pick 23
    Quinyon Mitchell CB
    TOLEDO • JR • 6'0" / 196 LBS

Quinyon Mitchell is a DeMeco Ryans-type player: tough, smart and accountable. Houston is loaded with promising young talent on both sides of the ball. Mitchell is another log on the fire.

23. HOUSTON TEXANS
    TROY FRANKLIN, WR, OREGON

Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 187 pounds
    Class: Junior

Fit: C.J. Stroud is taking the playoffs by storm. After dominating one of the league's best defenses in the wild-card round, the sky's the limit for Stroud and the Houston Texans offense.

Nico Collins has had a breakout season, but if the Texans can upgrade their WR2 spot with Tank Dell recovering from injury and Noah Brown hitting free agency, they could be scarier in 2024.

23. Houston Texans (via CLE)
    Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama

A year after taking Will Anderson Jr. in the top three, why not add his former teammate in Dallas Turner to continue to build DeMeco Ryans' defense? Houston is going to be around a LONG time in the AFC, and adding a twitched-up sack artist like Turner will make the Texans that much better. Anderson Jr. on one side and Turner on the other? Ab-so-lutely

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Of these, I would be ok with Newton, Franklin, Turner. But would still probably rather have Legette. No thanks to Jenkins and Mitchell. Hoping for someone better in DB in the first and Legette or Franklin in the second but we would probably have to move up.

deb4rockets likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

More Mock Drafts

23) Chop Robinson
    Penn State · Edge · Junior

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0

23) Houston Texans (from CLE)
    Team Needs: DL, CB, WR
    DL Jer’Zhan Newton, Illinois

This would be the perfect scenario for the Texans, who desperately need a disruptive interior defender to take DeMeco Ryans’s defense to the next level. Newton is undersized—but still the best in this year’s class—and would be a huge bargain at this spot.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/18/p...for-all-32-teams#gid=ci02d3afb000002792&pid=1

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Who is going to make our offensive line better? Are the guys on injured reserve going to replace guys we had yesterday? Do we need to draft better players? All I know is that we could only get 38 yards rushing yesterday, and Stroud was throwing the ball away left and right under pressure as defenders blasted past our offensive line. We haven't got a line good enough to push forward to get a yard or two in the redzone, or open up holes for our rushing game. They rushed for over 200 yards with their offensive line making holes.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

DT, OL and S are holding this team back. You can have an all pro assortment of wideouts, but it won’t matter if CJ is running for his life on every down of do or die games. Can’t contain mobile QBs if you are soft up the middle defensively.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And can’t cover the middle of the field with our safeties

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Always remember: Go for top talent in the draft. Fill holes in the roster through free agency (or trades). Free agency becomes easier this offseason, given the excitement around the team and our cap space. We'll be a preferred destination.

We need explosive playmakers -- wherever they may play on the field. Except for QB, I don't see any position as being off limits for our 1st round pick.

houstonstime, CKent, whag00 and 3 others like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Premium post right here, folks.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Texans gave up 1 sack in the last 3 weeks.

Those teams in rank
    1 Ravens) 0
    5 Colts) 1
    6 Browns) 0

They don't need an offensive line upgrade.

People need to live with the fact that the Texans star LT is not a run grader.
    There top 5 when healthy RT is not a run grader. They aren't built to run you in to the ground.

They are built to pass protect.

There issue last night was lack of weapons.

The Ravens had no fear of guys outside of Nico. They doubled and bracketed Nico. Brought pressure and dared John Metchie, Robert Woods, and Co to beat them.

Tank Dell opens up the defense.

Personally, I think the Texans need to move Tank in to the slot. Let him cook LB's, safeties, and Nickel corners.

Franklin or the WR BPA is the best pick. Houston would have put a much better effort last night if Dell was healthy. Need players who will soften coverages. Ravens were blitzing by picking off the Texans guards to create manufactured interior pressure or overloading one side to cause free runs.

How do you stop that? By having multiple players who can destroy man coverage or zone mirror(basically man) concepts QUICKLY.

Are the Ravens going to run single high if Tank is matched up with a safety near the LOS? nope....

Are the Ravens going to run single high with Collins on one side and Leggete or Franklin on the other? nope.

Ravens didn't fear the Texans ability to beat man coverage and that was your ball game. It was truly a beautiful scheme by the Ravens.

#1072 tmacfor35, Jan 21, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024
  13. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

1st rounder has to take best of DE/DT or CB - that means highest rated (and available) from: DT Murphy, DT Newton, DE Turner, DE Robinson, CB Dejean or CB Mckinstry.

Ideally take CB if you think you can get DT T’Vondre Sweat in 2nd. Sweat is a monster than can plug interior. Would need to resign greenard for other edge pressure though. Taking dejean, sweat and resigning greenard would really solidify this defense. I would try and target Bucky Irving in 3rd for running back to help stroud and give him another weapon.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think you hope Howard would be an improvement over Fant and that a healthy Kenyon Green or Jarrett Patterson is better than Michael Deiter.

I'm not opposed to adding some guys and having a real competition to see who the best LG/C combo is. But I don't think there's tremendous bang for your buck at OL this off-season.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. sydmill

sydmill Member

Pretty much my line of thinking as well. Except I like Brian Thomas with the FRP. Or, even better, trading back to get 2 seconds and walking away with Tez Walker, Byron Murphy and Tvondre Sweat.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. tmacfor35

Defense isn't the issue nor was last night. They got tired, but you saw with the group currently constructed they can limit great offenses.

Sooty likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

I trust Nick to pick out the best of the bunch in that area. Its the biggest need on the team if you don't go out and get someone in FA.

Texans aren't going to have that much money.

They have to resign Nelson.
    They have to resign Schultz
    They have to resign Rankins.
    They have to extend Collins

There won't be much money for additions.

18. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

DT above all else.
    The depth chart at DT was the one place I. The roster that didn't look entirely too much better than it did the last several years. Mostly filler, depth in there.
    Jimmie Ward gets hurt too much so you have to draft or sign someone there. OL has a lot to work with once three starters come back from injury.
    I think drafting JT Sanders at TE would be a nice upgrade over butterfingers Schultz.
    Draft Sweat, get Tank Dell back and draft Corley from Western Kentucky. Get a running back in round 4.

19. Jayded

Jayded Member

Not your list, but as a Notre Dame fan as well, Liufau needs to be someone else’s mistake. He was a waaaaay overrated college player that most of us are surprised he’ll get an NFL shot. A 3rd round pick is hilarious.

He was good in coverage in the flat this year. That’s about it. He wasn’t good in the middle. If you want a LB that seeks the blocker like it is his intent when he blitzes, he’s an expert. He was a real liability out there this year on an otherwise top 10 defense. We want no part of him at all as he’ll create more problems than he’ll solve.

Sooty likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Greenard & Cashman at the top of the list for me. I'm drafting a DT or 2 so we're good once Rankins is no longer in the budget.

Especially if they got an additional WR weapon in the draft, I'd be good saving money by signing Colby Parkinson and letting Schultz walk.

cmoak1982 likes this.