1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets vs other young developing teams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kubli9, Jan 18, 2024.

1. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

Teams can only have two max rookie extension so they gotta either give up Chet or William

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Under the new collective bargaining agreement rules, teams can sign as many players to five-year rookie-scale extensions (technically six, since the final year on the original contract is considered part of the extension, but five for brevity) as the team desires, at whatever salaries are negotiated. The previous agreement limited the team to just two on the books, and those contracts had to be for maximum salaries.

Corrosion, jim1961 and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, and you never know for sure. It is possible the Rockets win a title over the next 5 years… they have Sengun and Smith and Amen and Cam both have high upside. Tari is a good player too… but I think right now, we can say the Thunder are in a better spot going forward.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It won’t happen - but if someone like Docic decided he wanted to be traded, the Thunder could offer up to like 11-12 first round picks. Thats insane.

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OKC still has a plethora of picks , and really good young players already comprising a damn good team. With the exception of our pick this year, they're all late first rounders though. They have the firepower, and are way ahead of schedule. That said, WE do have the QUALITY picks and swaps. BKN is GOLD. We also have Sengun, Jabari, Amen, Cam, and Tari. Plus, FVV likely gets dealt for a star at next year's deadline.

6. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Thunder are ahead of us. Our team is lacking that top 5 player in the comp and they have SGA and potentially Chet. Those two players put them ahead of our team by default.

7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

You can’t for real look at the treasure trove Presti has and reach the conclusion that the Rockets have an edge on the picks, let’s be real come on.

Corrosion and DrNuegebauer like this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be fair, we don't know how good Denver or the Clippers will be in 2027 or even 2029 (Den only).
    Those particular 1sts aren't all that heavily protected.

And there are a stack of other 1sts they have (and what feels like an entire 2nd round worth of 2nds!!).

How they manage their roster and picks going forward will be interesting. 3 firsts in this year's draft = 3 guaranteed salaries.
    I think they have 14 guys under contract for next year plus 4RFAs.
    There are probably some obvious cuts, or using a bunch 2nds to make 2 for 1 deals to upgrade role players - but it is still an interesting conundrum for them to be in.

Plowman likes this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What I'm saying, is that we're going to have enough to get there, if we play our cards right. Perennial contender.

My bad. I omitted JG or whoever we get for him.

#69 Plowman, Jan 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Josh Giddey 12pts 4assist
    Jalen Green 17pts 3sssist

You guys delusional and will say anything without a shred of evidence

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I agree with the OKC overhype.

If they crash out of the playoffs and SGA looks regular they go from potential super team to just another playoff team entirely.

Right now they are a tier 2 team. Denver-LAC are tier 1 teams in the WC. These are teams ready to compete and win right now and teams where not making the WCF would be a failure.

Tier 2 is Minny-OKC-Kings. All of these teams are really good teams but have to actually prove they can have deep playoff runs. Minny especially, they underperform the later a season gets.

Tier 3 are teams that have stars but probably have to make a few moves. So Dallas, GSW, Memphis, etc. Teams that have a Luka or Ja but right now are probably missing a major piece or two.

Rockets are Tier 4. They are a young and rebuilding team with a lot of promise. People writing off anyone under 23 are simply foolish to do so, this includes even Jalen Green. Sometimes a player hits a switch and realizes his potential, not even all that rare. If that happens with Green or Bari then suddenly things change.

Year to year things change. Don't look TOO far ahead. OKC is having a really good year but I'm not jealous of a dynasty that hasn't happened quite yet. Remember, one time OKC was said to be a sure Dynasty...then they traded Westbrook...then Durant wanted to go to GSW...**** happens.

In the end, some people are way too pessimistic about our core. We've improved a crap ton in just one year. I'm sorry some of yall expected playoffs. I said start of the season competing for the play-in is the absolute ceiling for this season so to see them doing that when Vegas had them instead competing for another top 5 pick means they are a step ahead.

Right now the team misses depth and consistency. Which makes sense when the core of your team is 20-21 years old.

At the end of the day, it's kind of pointless to do this because Spurs could jump ahead of us making some big move to pair someone with Wemby or OKC could fall behind if SGA proves to be a playoff choker or one of those guys instead decides they want to play in a bigger market...Which...nearly every star player for OKC has left that market for a bigger one very willingly. They've had a real issue historically since moving there retaining their star players.

TimDuncanDonaut and Plowman like this.
  12. TAB

TAB Member

Just gotta say, I love the OP's optimism.

13. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

SA>OKC>HOU=ORL>DET>CHA

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How is San Antonio better than the Thunder? Just because of Wemby?

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

OKC traded All-Star Paul George and got SGA and Jalen Williams plus more in the trade

Rockets traded MVP/top 5 player James Harden and got…

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

How can you be a franchise player and not be able to score in crunch time? That should be on Sengun if he's truly our franchise, correct?

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sengun has and will continue to score in crunch time, but he won’t be able to until we get some clutch 3 pt shooters as well.

18. dmoneybangbang

I mean.... yea....... We aren't the most promising young team in the league..... And our rebuild will look much inferior to a team like OKC who is further ahead on the timeline and has a lot of rookie scale contract talent + SGA.

Otherwise I think we are doing fine and slightly over exceeding. However, it is fluid and we are just now emerging from tanking.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wow, points and assists. Now that's depth of analysis worth being condescending about. Well done.

harold bingo likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It is year 3 for them. Our last playoff appearance was in the same year against each other. Chet and Jabari were in the same draft.