1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeems a Raptor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dc rock, Aug 1, 2001.

1. AB

AB Contributing Member

Can't say it better dc rock.. that's exactly how I feel right now [​IMG]

------------------

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel sad and a little bitter.It would have been nice to see Hakeem retire as a Rocket.
    He was the greatest Rocket, and mainly responsible for our championships,and my favorite player,but we have to move to a new era hopefully filled with promise and future championships.
    Thanks for everything Hakeem,good luck in Canada.I will never boo him but I will be happy to see the New Rockets beat the Raptors,not because Hakeem decided to leave us but because we must go on.

------------------

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Well, if Dream still wants to live in a warm climate, whether it be here in Houston or somewhere else in the south, this trade means that he'll have to do something that he's never had to do throughout his career, leave home for about 6 months to go to work. I wonder if he's thought about that? I realize he could buy a home in Toronto, but he's going to be up there in the dead of Winter. Brrrrrrr.... I wonder how long it'll be before he starts to regret his decision? Remember, old people don't like cold weather. [​IMG]

I wish him the best & truely believe that, if he can stay healthy, he'll be the final piece that takes Toronto over the top.

I'm also glad that the speculation is finally over & we can continue our rebuilding program for the future. As sad as this may sound, Dream's leaving could be the best thing that could've happened for the Rockets, Francis, & maybe, just maybe, Cato.... Oh, who am I trying to fool? Cato is a slug & will always be a slug. [​IMG]

------------------
    A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

There are drug issues pertaining to Keon Clark. I would bet the Rockets know better than to try to trade for him as they knew better than re-signing Sam Mack.

------------------

5. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

How ironic that team we don't trade Hakeem to a few years ago because of loyalty, he walks to. I still believe in loyalty, but the cost was pretty high.

------------------

6. Matador

Matador Member

Thank you Hakeem for all the memories. You have inspired me to be humble and hungry. Watching your grace and dignity on the court is a thing of beauty. While I wished more than anything that you could retire a Rocket, it just wasn't to be. I hold no ill feelings toward you at all. You will be sorely missed. [​IMG]

The Raptors are now my SECOND favorite team.

*I know Dream will never read this, but I had to get it off my chest*

------------------

7. JT

JT Member

It's been a long while since I posted even though I read most of the posts on this BBS. Tonight though, I have to get this off my chest. I will miss Dream as a Rockets fan but his leaving the way he is makes it even more bitter.

During the off-season, Dream actively lobbied to keep the current roster together. I was all in favor of this especially seeing how he closed last season. He also spoke often about his supposed desire to stay in Houston. I honestly thought he was sincere but the negotiations have made it painfully obvious that he wasn't. I suppose Dream thought he was going to be able to leverage his way into more money from the Rockets. He basically took the highest bidder in this race. I really don't believe this was as much about respect as it was about money.

Let's face it. If he had stayed in Houston and stayed healthy and productive, Dream would have been the starting center and would have had as much time on the floor as he would in Toronto. The players on the Rockets wanted him just as much as the players in Toronto. The real difference in my opinion is money and even that is not a huge difference. It is enough of a difference for someone wanting to make a few extra million over a career but not enough to be termed "disrespect," especially in light of the dollars required to keep the roster together as Dream supposedly wanted.

So tonight, as we bid you goodbye Dream, I say both good luck and good riddance. I respect your right to make your own decisions and do what is best for you but I don't respect the way you have done business in this case. Thank you for the memories Mr. Olajuwon but I wish you had been more forthright about your true intentions. It might have allowed the Rockets more time to work to keep you or it might of allowed them more time to deal in free agency or trades that would have helped the team this year.

You said you wanted respect so I hope you find some of it in Toronto that you have lost here. My respect for your game has never been higher. My respect for your character has taken a hit. [​IMG]

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

hey i'm hurt to see the big guy go, but it was for the better. I don't wish this upon him, but come on he's old! He will get hurt a few times and might even have a bad injury trying to push himself too hard while trying to show toronto,(and houston), that he can still do it. He will disappoint toronto just like he was disappointed us these past couple of years. Then we will be like"Thats why we didn't pay him $10 mil a year for 2 years"...trust me it will happen. Actually, I'm kind of excited to see how Dream will play with another team: how well will he fit in? how well will the players adjust to him? I think its good that a team gives hakeem this much money...he does deserve it, just not at the expense of our future.

------------------

9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Wow. This F*#$ING sucks!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW - Moses Malone and Avery Johnson are dumbasses. Moses is a greedy SOB. [​IMG]

This is all related to their interviews on Fox 26 news... dont know if anyone else saw it.

------------------
    I am gonna bust 200!

Early Bird Rights my A$$!

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited August 01, 2001).]

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Didn't really think about that. I guess hindsight can suck sometimes. Farewell Dream.......

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

by Dream...see you on t.v.

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

12. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Don't post often but I had to say bye. Sometome doing the right thing hurts and the Rocks did the right thing. Rudy was loyal to his player and Rudy is a players coach. He did the right thing and the Dream stayed in Houston and haad two injury filled years. Hakeem wanted to play for someone else and we let him go. It is the right thing to do because every player in the league knows how this team treats it's players. Hell, they even let Pip go where he wanted to.

Take care Dream, good luck and enjoy a last run in the payloffs. Man, that is going to be something to watch. :-(

------------------

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Well, I hope he tears it up in Toronto, and plays like he has something to prove.

Frankly it is the best thing for him and the Rockets.

Time to move on !!

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

14. JDuBb

JDuBb Member

Sup?
    We should have kept Dream.We could ahve gave him some more money,anything he wanted we should have provided him with because he made houston what they are.He put the rockets on the map and he deserves to be treated with anything he wants.We could have asked Mo to take less money and give more to Dream.I just pissed off that we lost Dream.He belongs in Houston and I REALLY believe that this deal will come back and haunt us someway.Watch Dream will have a great season next year with the Raptors andwe will be pissed,I know I will be.This is a sad day for the rockets organization.I still don't believe we let him get away from the rockets.Thanks for everything Dream and Goodluck in the future.Peace

------------------
    -JDuBb...One

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow, Dream's a Raptor. He'll be wearing purple next year, no more pinstriped PJ's. I don't care how much he plays all season, as long as he's healthy in the playoffs so I can watch him and the Rockets win some playoff games.

[​IMG]

------------------
    Who needs teachers? I can learn my own self.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have been a Rocket fan ever since Olajuwon joined the team straight out of UH. Although it sucks to see him end his career with another team, I'm glad that he's gone. The reason why I'm glad is because he pretty much held Rudy T & CD hostage in taking his sweet time in making up his mind. We can only hope and pray that we can sign Mo, Moochie, and someone whether it's Marc Jackson or someone else to play center. Cato & Collier are light-years from being contributors. It just p***es me off that he took as long as he did. His ego is so big that he never could accept not being "the man" now that Francis is the team's best player. Instead of wanting to take a secondary role to some exciting young players like Francis, Mobley, and now, Eddie Griffin, this old fart seriously thinks that he can still be a dominant center. Don't make me laugh. Hakeem, you and Patrick Ewing should have retired 2 years ago. You're both washed up and pathetic. My bet is that he doesn't even play in 60 games for the Raptors. He wants to go to a team that can make the finals--well anybody practically in the East can fit that bill. Didn't the Rockets beat the Raptors the 2 times that they played? Oh yeah, they beat all the Central teams. Didn't Hakeem say that the best thing that the Rockets could do was to keep their team together and that the Rockets could really make a run in the playoffs? I'm sorry, Hakeem, but I lost a lot of respect for you today. I wonder how this old jabroni going to deal with those harsh Canadian winters and even harsher Canadian taxes!

------------------
    "Did your parents ever have any children that lived?"
    "SIR, YES SIR!"
    "You're so ugly, you could be a modern art masterpiece!"
    --Gunnery Drill Sgt Hartman to Pvt "Gomer Pyle" in Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket

17. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

I don't think you need worry about him getting home sick in the cold north. After he reports to play himself into shape[always has] and then after a short time will be on the IR [last 4 years]. He will spend more time in Houston at home then in Toronto next year anyway. Remember he doesn't travel with the team or come to practices when on the ir.

------------------

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

There's just something about the #34 in Houston, isn't there? Note to Houston pro-sports management: Do not give your best player a #34 uniform. They will end up breaking your heart. It's now officially a Houston curse.

Hmmm... I wonder if Cato wants the number now...

Seriously, though, I wish Hakeem the best. He made his choice, and I respect him for that. How he arrived at that decision does not sit well with me, but what's done is done. Good luck, man, and godspeed. The Rockets can finally move on. Perhaps now CD & RT will be free to pull off that seemingly annual insanely impossible trade. Like Cato, some duct tape, a subscription to Vibe, a roll of quarters, and a remote control battery cover for Shaq.

------------------
    I am the Kwisatz Haderach.

19. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

...all I'm gonna say is there ain't no Whole Foods Market in Canada, baby.

rH

20. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Best of luck to Hakeem, THE only player to bring a championship to OUR/Your fair city! Not Earl, not Nolan, not Moon, not Bum, not Scott, etc. YOU are Houston! WE will miss you for the few years you are gone, but you will ALWAYS be a part of us!

------------------
    Now this shirt is chafing me