1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Lol. Bye Hector

2. Radricky

Radricky Member

3. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Please let the yanks give Nerris 3 years and a lot of money. Please.

everyday eddie and the shark like this.
  4. the shark

the shark Member

He can always ask for it but for a team to give him that?? CRAZY!!

Snake I like this Harvey kid. Wonder what it would take to get him?

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yariel Rodriguez only getting $32M/4yrs from Toronto. I would have liked him in Houston for that. Hopefully he isn’t good lol.

6. toby

toby Member

Listening and looking around . . . i don't see us doing anything until in the middle of spring training, if at all. Sounds like Brown is content to see what they have, what they can muscle up, and then bargain shop. We certainly aren't going to get into a bidding war for anyone.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FIFY

I still like the team heading into the season and think we should be favorites to win the division. However that Rodriguez deal was very affordable with huge upside IMO. I'm a little agitated at the moment at Crane's Fertitta impression.

All that could change with one signing, but the bullpen should not have 2 proven MLB caliber relievers and a dozen journeyman (one overpaid) heading into the season.

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Waiting out the market is not a bad strategy, given all the factors:

Roster is strong as-is
    Market is deep at need positions (7th/8th inning RP, lotto SP, and fringe everyday LH bats)
    Teams face major financial uncertainty due to RSN turmoil

It is not in any way ideal to go into the season with only 2.5 proven RP, but that’s the situation they put themselves in with owner restrictions and a few bad contracts. Hopefully one of the lotto arms turns into another Will Harris, Collin McHugh, Chris Devenski, Bryan Abreu, or Tony Sipp.

9. SuraGotMadHops

This offseason is starting to feel similar to last offseason, with the exception that we have a GM in place this time around, yet nothing noteworthy seems to be getting done on the pitching side.

raining threes likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

High reliever risk supposedly.... teams didn't want to pay that for guy that has never pitched in the big leagues and had MLB stuff but not shut down stuff, and is going to be a reliever. A few teams including the Astros were looking at him as a starter at some point, but that changed.

FWIW the Astros were not the only ones gun shy at the end of the day, the Mariners and a couple larger market teams didn't go up to the 4/32 he ended up getting.
    Yeah - well I am sure it is annoying for Brown to be so dependent on what Crane decides to do. Budgets and expenditures are set in stone until Crane decides he wants someone. That very well be what is happening right now.

Even so - there are a number of veteran relievers still on the market and they all are not going to get big money. A few solid relievers are going to sign for low money.

Further, the Astros have a bunch of high upside arms that they have brought in and think that a few may emerge from there.

I do not like this approach ideally, but there are a number of candidates and McCullers and Garcia both should be back at some point.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Prior to 2017, the Astros had one 100 win season (1 in 56 years) and it took trading for Johnson and Johnson being incredible for that 102-win season. I think the Astros roster is pretty ideal for Astros rosters (easily Top 5 as is in Astros history not counting recent seasons).

I'm just going to say, if the Astros trade for a SP at the deadline that has a 1.28 ERA across 11 games to finish the season, they will win more than 102 games.

ryan_98 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. toby

toby Member

True . . . but not sure we have Freddy García, Carlos Guillén, and John Halama to trade right now either. I know, not the point. but would be nice if we did . . .

ryan_98 likes this.
  13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hader Bellinger and Montgomery. Don’t be a p***y Crane!

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I would be absolutely shocked if they sign Hader. Not too sure this isn’t being floated to give off the vibe that the Astros are attempting something big.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say most of the proposed/speculated moves by the Astros don't move me much. This is one that if it happens would be a game changer to me.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

To followup, the Astros have projected value almost everywhere. Someone will get hurt or suck worse than expected, but it is hard to know who that will be. Hader basically fills a roster spot that the Astros are projected to get near zero value such that every bit of value Hader provides improves the Astros without someone that can provide value riding pine more than they should. Hader providing a lot of value makes it extra special. Hader is the lefty Dusty always wanted....

Though, I'm pretty sure Crane would have to increase budget to make it work.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wonder who gets traded...

19. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Substitute Montgomery with Snell? If they were rumored to be after Hader and Snell at the deadline (yes they were rentals), maybe Crane will go after Snell as well?

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

F$*KING do it and stop talking about it. This imaginary CBT limit BS is beyond frustrating.

raining threes likes this.