1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Melik likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Another variation on a possible three-team trade to get Herro

[​IMG]

Y2JT likes this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not trading Bari for Markkanen. Bari and Sengun are the two untouchables in my eyes. Sexton, though, is interesting.

4. Houston77

Supporting Member

Speaking of the Jazz, how about this?

Tate, Landale, Oladipo, and the Nets' FRP (top four protected) for Sexton and Olynyk? The Jazz get a usable piece in Tate along with a valuable FRP, and we get the solutions to our needs at guard depth and backup big.

5. jb86

jb86 Member

Trade for a shooter and backup big.
    Gary Trent Jr.
    Andre Drummond
    Easy work.

saleem and Melik like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

The vibe I get from the front office is the warchest seems to be saved for a big move, instead several medium moves.

Two picks for Claxton is actually a lot. His value was good two years ago, but this year it went down a little. Plus when Simmons was playing, they had to sit Claxton, couldn't play both of them at the same time. Nets would do that deal in a heartbeat.

He'd be great here as a backup, better than Landale, can give Jeff some rest and offers a different type of C playstyle. Really perfect here. All that said two picks (from us) is a lot.

I keep thinking that the Landale/Tate/Oladipo/Bullock contracts and picks are saved by Stone to make that one big splash move on a big fish (if/when available). Anytime we move on a mid tier solid player like Claxton, the bid for that big fish is less possible. It's already tough when the bidding against other orgs like Jazz, Spurs, and Okc.

Here lies the dilemma, where to get a good backup 5 at a reasonable cheap price.

#866 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2024
    Corrosion likes this.
  7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The 2024 NBA draft.

They'll have 4 swings .... the Brooklyn #1 pick (#9) and 3 picks in the second round, Brooklyn, GSW & OKC. (currently 39,40 & 58).

comrade and gfab-babyboi like this.
  8. Melik

Melik Member

Lauri is already an all-star and Houston's possible offer for Jabari will be rejected by Utah.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The flipside to the argument is that the war chest has expiry dates written on it, and is not very full in the first place.

After this year's trade deadline we really only have 1 extra first rounder to trade, plus the option to swap with BKN (twice) - a team would have to have certain convictions for that future to appeal to them. Beyond that, there are 4 2nd rounders surplus, but I wonder how much of a warchest they really are?

I'm not advocating going all in on a roleplayer - just setting the scene that perhaps the ability to make a big splash later on may be more limited than we think

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

(a) it is regarded as a weak draft
    (b) potentially each of those picks takes up a roster spot. Tough way to see if any of them are any good
    (c) noting the above, I think I agree - let's see what the draft has in terms of serviceable backup 5s

saleem likes this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just to clarify things -

Twitterverse has repeated this weak draft speak ad nauseam .... I tend to disagree that it is a "weak draft overall". To me, this is just talking heads repeating the same bullshiit without doing their own homework.

There doesn't appear to be a clear cut #1 like a Lebron or Wemby and maybe not even a Banchero but there's several high potential players in this draft and the big positions are both strong and deep. There's going to be quality NBA players come out of this draft.

The guy most mocks have the Rockets taking with the Brooklyn pick where it is now @ #9 is a 7'3" 265lb center from UConn Donoval Klingan who averages 25 & 11 with 3 blocks 2 assists and a steal per. The only thing he doesn't do is shoot the 3.
    After him there's a kid out of Duke Kyle Filipowski 7ft ~250 putting up 21.4 &10.6 with 3.6 assists & 2.4 blocks and shoots ~37% from deep and could probably be played with Sengun just as much as backing him up.

There's also Zach Edey who has been talked about around here quite a bit ....

There's about 4-5 more dudes in the 1st round including the probable #1 overall pick Alexandre Sarr - who knows maybe that Brooklyn pick strikes gold .... but after him there's still talent deep into the 2nd round.

As for taking up roster spots, that's the case with #1 picks and guaranteed $$$ but 2nd round picks don't have that guarantee and you can often get these guys signed to 2 way or G-league deals and euro stashes.

They might not use all 3 of those #2 picks .... I could see them packaging some / all of them between now and the deadline if a deal that makes sense comes up.

DrNuegebauer, wolstein and jim1961 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Alexandre Sarr seems to be a mix of Jabari and Chet but less of a shooter.

Great height at 7'1 - 7'2

#872 daywalker02, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    hlmbasketball likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

(a)

Actually a smokescreen thing to deter teams and come out like thieves......relatively speaking.....

I like that it is less hyped.......teams have to do their homework.

I dare to say there might a few underrated potential All Star Reserves among them.

Generally speaking, not a draft Stone is confident in because he has to work his brains.

14. Houston77

Supporting Member

That has nothing to do with what I said.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Fair.

I'm no expert, but I see major red flags on all 3 of those guys (Clingan/ Filipowski/ Edey) as prospects. They may excel, but there are physical limitations they all face and would need to overcome.

I have a passing interest in the draft compared to others, but my simple view is that it isn't deep. Could be wrong!!

16. comrade

comrade Member

Claxton will be an UFA after this year. Will he be content playing backup minutes? I doubt he extends for a backup role. Not really worth the assets imo

saleem likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jabari 's defense is waay more important to Houston than Lauri.

Corrosion likes this.
  18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I believe it would be unwise to trade Bari, Sengun, Tari or Cam. We need to hold onto those 4 prospects. We should also hold into the two vets that gave this team its identity. Everyone else should be fair game.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I maintain that, as much as I like Jabari, he is unlikely to ever be as good as Lauri is now. Still see his most likely outcome as a #3 option/elite roleplayer, whereas I see Lauri is a true #2 option who is likely to make at least several more All-Star games.

Not saying it's impossible Jabari becomes that good, I just think the odds are very low.

20. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Zion-like Adem Bona of UCLA at PF and 7'1"/7'2" Aleksander Balcerowski of Poland at C would do great bench.

I don't know whether any team owns Balcerowski's rights.

Meanwhile Sasha Vezenkov seems persona non grata at Sacramento. Another perfect player for forward positions.