1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka on Alperen Sengun vs Bulls: "He played one half of basketball, basically"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. invocux

invocux Member

Sengun to Udoka

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, Sengun to Udoka would be

Dude, Player Udoka never came thru to play one full half. (Udoka averaged 16 minutes)

BamBam, HardenReturns and SamFisher like this.
  4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It's strange. I don't remember seeing these quotes when Green stinks it up for a half then gets hot in the second.

Alpi's first half offensively wasn't great though and he's exactly right. I thought the first I think 3 or 4 of his shots were bad shots and I didn't like seeing him take them.

Missed a lot of the middle of the game but glad to see him cooking down the stretch.

Just a shame not everyone on the floor has the IQ to realise in OT when every possession matters and you've got a teammate absolutely annihilating the other team - give them the f*cking ball.

5. FFz

FFz Member

Daddy with the tough love. **** I love it. Push him!! Push him harder! Dudes improved exponentially this season under Ime.

Deckard, burlesk, AXG and 33 others like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is the type of coaching Al P wants so good on coach.

Udoka not mentioning you is a sign of your insignificance

#6 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  7. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun has much higher expectations than anyone else. You wouldn't ever see MDA blame a loss on PJ Tucker because he couldn't get it going. But if Harden can't get it going, that's a problem. You can tell by the way we run our offense that Udoka believes in Sengun and expects a lot from him. It's just tough coaching, and that's what Sengun wants/needs.

8. plegus

plegus Member

Ime "state the obvious" Udoka

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Very good point.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He missed all his shots but it was not for the lack of trying.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with Udoka. Alperen Sengun is way too good to play like he did in the first half.

Being the very best player on the team by a huge margin comes with responsibilities.

#11 RudyTBag, Jan 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  12. Sengun

Sengun Member

Alperen Sengun sometimes seems like he forget he's the best player on the team and he has to dominate the ball more than everyone else. At least 20 shots per game would be normal. He has to think to score first, then passing. Sometimes he just trying to pass the ball even when he is open wide. I don't understand that. Superstars and big players have some ego and selfishness but there is no any selfishness in Alperen Sengun. He must find a way to be a bit more selfish.

NewAge, ramotadab and HD729 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Nothing wrong with what he said. He also pointed out that Sengun is a really good player.

Part of leadership is knowing when to assert yourself. The Rockets have to win these type of games. Sengun needs to come out and assert himself early and he didn’t tonight.

Lesson learned by Sengun.

Also every personality is different. Sengun knows he is really good- what Udoka said won’t hurt his confidence like it would Jabari.

Ime just seems disappointed. He knows loses like this one will matter later.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's got a bit of Popovich in him from the looks of it. I don't think Sengun is going to care much about the criticism other than try to improve. Ime doesn't seem to come down on the rookies quite as hard, either. Jalen's probably already down in the gutter with his play much of the season, so no need to terrorize him.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Udoka has purpose to what he says. He doesn’t criticize just to criticize. If you listen, he usually has a compliment or two right after a criticism.

As for Green - the Rockets are not in the basement, so the priority for Ime is to win, so Green isn’t his focus.

Deckard, Deuce, ramotadab and 5 others like this.
  16. Melik

Melik Member

No, never. He has to bring his teammates into the game and let his teammates find their own momentum. it's a team game man. he should never be selfish.

HardenReturns and Ankara1923 like this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, it kind of reminds me of the type of people who think if you compliment somebody without also adding they can improve on something, you are basically telling them they've already reached the mountaintop. I'm guessing Ime's just saying "no, the summit of the mountain is higher". Or maybe that was just my dad. Me : "Hey, I got all A's and 1 B!" Dad : "Why the B?" :(

Deckard, Invisible Fan, Nook and 2 others like this.
  18. invocux

invocux Member

Stop whining about it man Sengun asked to be coached and Ime is delivering his wish. Sengun probably thinks he's strong enough to take criticism and improve his game why are you guys acting like he's going to break? Do you know him better than he does? He went through Silas era he'll be fine.

NewAge, tagedieb, shakes05 and 6 others like this.
  19. WestendMassive

We are probably lucky that the only backup C on the roster is Jock Landale.

If we even had a servicable big then Udoka might have sat Alpe in the second half and we wouldn't have experienced his magic.

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I attribute that to more expectations leading to more responsibility leading to more importance. You don't get mad when your 3 or 4 is playing bad, such is the responsibility that comes with being teams number 1

ramotadab and RudyTBag like this.