1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Amen Thompson A Bust?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh It is probably the second or third concern. He is only averaging a turnover a game, so it isn’t that bad. It does sometimes ruin otherwise good opportunities but his handle is almost guaranteed to get better. The bigger issue is the shooting - and that may or may not improve.

OremLK likes this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

He needs lots of G-league time. Lots.

The G-league is a big step up from where he played last year.

Hakeemtheking and Jontro like this.
  3. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I don't see it. He's a great athlete and nothing else

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not a matter of turnovers. It's a matter of he literally just loses the ball and therefore cannot keep attacking or continuing his dribble. It's amateur status.

I was high on Amen during the draft but it's becoming clear he doesn't have an NBA-level skill right now, and because of his terrible handle, he can't tap into his athleticism.

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

He'll be a taller Ricky Rubio

Y2JT likes this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was completely against drafting him specifically for the reasons you stated.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is NOT a bust but he is a horrible shooter and that is a MAJOR concern.

DD

Nook likes this.
  8. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

The knee-jerk reactions Clutchfans is famous for never get old.

I won't really have much of an opinion on him until next year - he's too raw to give him anything other than an incomplete for now. 15 games or whatever it's been means nothing.

Bo6, Easy, OremLK and 3 others like this.
  9. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I want to understand this correctly to be fair. Jalen is a bust (who you constantly criticize) but Amen isn't? Doesn't make sense

roslolian likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have NEVER said Jalen is a bust. My expectations for the number 2 pick are not a ROLE player, they are a star player, and he is falling woefully short.

Amen is a rookie, Jalen is in his 3rd year.....I have seen a lot more of Jalen, but I promise you if Amen doesn't get a LOT LOT better by next year, he will be in the cross hairs....

I am really pissed that this org keeps drafting guys who can't shoot, and HOPING they learn how that is a failed strategy, we need to prioritize those that are good shooters over those that are good athletes.

DD

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

can we please wait until his 3rd contract before we judge?

12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

You've been extremely critical of him. I share the same opinion of him. He's been a disappointment.

Amen just isn't going to be good. He's been playing basketball his entire life and still lacks a basic jumper.

100% agree with you here. Even an Austin Reaves or Brogdan would help a lot. Instead we have Jalen and Amen.

DaDakota and CantStopJG24 like this.
  13. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

Since when are 4th picks not expected to be stars? They’re expected to be all stars as far as I know, especially as a guard. You don’t draft role players with the 4th pick.

14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Spot on.

roslolian likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen and Amen came from GLeague and OTE. Both leagues apparently suck at player development.

Jalen is in his 3rd year and I don't think he is a bust, he is just inconsistent. Like this game the Rox went up vs the best team in the league with the best defense and he scored 20 pts on good percentage. He even stepped up and shot 50% from 3 on 8 attempts. That's not a bust.

Amen is way too raw and has limited skillet. Yes he has been playing basketball all his life but if he just played AAU then that doesn't matter right? Doc Rivers said it best he said in Europe players practice 9 times and play 1 game but in US players play 9 games and practice 1 time. So with Amen playing in OTE and AAU games he lacks the fundamentals necessary to score in multiple ways and also didn't play against good competition.

So when we get these players with high upside but low pro experience expect that they will be extremely raw and lack fundamentals. If Rox just want players who will be good immediately they won't get these from the draft, they will sign players in Free Agency.

Jontro and GOATuve like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Both programs should not even be eligible for kids....

G league for 24 year old undrafted players or players that need refinement......

OTE should be for players that came back from the Oversea pro leagues instead of making money with underage kids......

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

NBA Drafts are crapshoots, the Number 4 has what a 30% or 35% of being an All Star, do you know percentage.....

35% is better than 0% but it is not the world......

That is 65% or 70% of not making anything.....

OremLK likes this.
  18. JW86

JW86 Member

I was never high on the Thompson brothers, but this bust talk is just asinine. Let's see what he does the rest of the year.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Okay but most if not all the reasonable players to choose instead of Green and Thompson at their picks have/had huge question marks concerning shooting. So I'm not sure why you are pissed.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jury is out on the rookies but Tate is a semi Bust player, I know he is a low profile guy... but boi he is limited.