1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You do not need to give up Amen and Jalen for Dejounte Murray. We tanked entire seasons or 3 guys, so far Jalen has not panned out so we need to see what we can get for him but throwing away another 4th overall pick in his rookie year with potential that has barely seen the floor is very short sighted, I am a bit fearful about Stone's ability to make trades as he has proven to be on the losing end of most trades so far. A guy like Murray can be had for a lot less, or you wait for free agency for a S&T for much less. There is no way you should be giving away multiple young players and brooklyn picks and our own picks for Booker or Murray. You would need to hold on to either Cam/Amen or the picks, throwing the farm at these guys makes little sense. The team and Ime are becoming more respectable, and Sengun is becoming a guy that people may want to play with, we do not need to be this desperate for a SG upgrade when the team is not as unappealing as it was a year ago. . There is no rush, our vets were signed as people to stabilize the team, if they end their contracts without a ring its not a big deal, the young guys we have will still be in their early 20s.

Little Bit and Plowman like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Jalen for Drummond and Caruso.....get er done!

3. Dredd

Dredd Member

Panic mode for no reason. Stone won’t trade his #2 pick.

4. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

The moment I knew Jalen Green wasn't going to come in improved this season was when I saw what he was doing in the off-season.

Shooting commercials, trying to start his own clothing brand then when interviewers asked him what he improved this off-season, he just said I put on 20lbs. Okay anything else? Didn't learn any counters? New moves?

Like dude, you're the #2 pick but you haven't established yourself as a star yet.

Meanwhile Sengun has added a new move to his bag every off-season and has only played better in response to getting benched.

6. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

It's safe to say Green doesn't fit into the Sengun centric offense. It's best for him to come from bench to play his style of basketball.

7. a time to chill

I hope Jalen’s productivity on the court improves for a stretch of games to improve his trade value

8. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

His trainer is his childhood friend who doubles as someone who brings in the IG models for Jalen. Not even kidding. Dude is not serious whatsoever about basketball.

ArtV, deb4rockets and NewAge like this.
  9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

To be honest I have to think that's what the organization has been hoping for as well except he's going full Titanic in December. Maybe he will get hot to start 2024....

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Lucas was right for holding his waist down when he shoots. He's back to shooting like Westbrook, 4 feet in the air

NewAge likes this.
  11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand why on earth everyone is adding Amen Thompson to the trade scenarios at this point. Just because the number 2 draft pick was terrible, it doesn't mean Amen will. He has so much potential and we def need to give him some time. He is a 6'6 with a 7' wingspan and plays pg-sf. He obviously works his tail off. He will be a star for this team and be a legit 1-2 punch with Alpern sooner than later.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen has lost all confidence. Watching him shoot at halftime today he couldn't even make a 3. Not good.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Out of everyone who played tonight for the Rockets, Jalen Green only outscored one player. Everyone on the Pacers outscored him. So out of everyone who played in the game, Jalen Green was outscored by all but one dude, and that dude only played 11 minutes. That's how bad things are going for him right now. 19 people played, 17 of them outscored our "bucket" 2nd overall draft pick starting shooting guard. Oh, and on top of all that, as if it weren't enough, Jalen had by far the worst +/- of anyone who played in the game for either team as well.

There isn't any sugarcoating it, the Jalen Green situation is turning into a pretty major story. He is a problem the Rockets are going to have to address very soon. The poor man is imploding out there and it's getting painful to watch. He's better than this. He has to be.

ArtV and deb4rockets like this.
  14. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Jalen worked out with FVV's trainer majority of the off-season. I believe that's his trainer now. He's just not a high IQ player and adding 20 pounds took away some of his biggest strengths - speed and quickness. Wouldn't say he not serious about basketball. That's a stretch. He has to play completely different than what he's used to, he's not a smart player so it'll take him a while to adapt, and he's lost the explosiveness he used to have. Maybe he should go back to just working out with his childhood friend lol.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

The Rockets lost both KPJ and Green before the season started. I don't know where tf the old Jalen went.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  16. SweetCityChamps

SweetCityChamps New Member

It’s probably still a little too early to start thinking about trading him.

Despite his poor shooting, my biggest issue is his low bball IQ and terrible ball security. Watching him drive the ball into a packed lane and immediately lose the ball is just frustrating to watch. I don’t know what to suggest to fix his issues, but for now I would just play it game by game like Ime has been doing. Give him his chance in the first half early and if it’s the same old stuff then pull him back like the last two games.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree with you but at the same time we can make excuses forever about how perfect things COULD be for him. It's time for greater accountability now that we're in an environment where others have thrived. As a fan I'm comfortable blaming the organization for its shortcomings - Jalen showed up underdeveloped and needing to catch up on basic fundamentals, then two years into his NBA career he had received the worst NBA coaching of any prospect. He still led his draft class in scoring - albeit inefficiently - as recently as early this season last I checked.

I agree with you that he's struggling to both play good defense and good offense in the same game. Ime mentioned in I think the pregame interview that Jalen is hesitating. He's talked about Jalen needing to hunt shots. I think on offense he used to go full speed all the time and now the team has grinded to a halt (4th worst pace) and also individually he's being asked to operate in a variety of speeds/situations in a stuffy half court. This is all so new to him unfortunately, I can understand the phase he's in. You usually see it from rookies out of college, when they're trying to put together good overall games of scoring, defense and passing simultaneously. He's struggled a lot with that.

One more point is I doubt he's ever had to play this hard in his life so he probably has more tired legs than he's used to. Historically he's rested on defense a lot and not put as much effort in overall on such a consistent basis. Being asked to rebound more too. I wonder if he was ready for what it takes to be a winning NBA professional.

Right now he has to simplify his game imo. If there's space at the rim, attack it with force. If you're wide open for 3 take it without wasting time. If none of these are available pass the ball quickly. Always play defense obviously. Other than that it would be really nice to get some more PnR, transition and lob opportunities. I highly highly highly recommend cutting out his mid range for the time being and focusing on the most glaring areas he needs to stabilize. I can see a lot of room for improvement if he makes similar shot selection choices as Brooks has made for his career (much more simplified shot selection).

I was encouraged hearing Ime talking about Jalen's struggles. He said they haven't discussed benching him and he believes Jalen will figure it out with gradual improvement and better consistency. Udoka's a tough coach to please I'm surprised at how patient he's been with Jalen. He's been patient but fair, cutting his 4th quarter minutes but still showing he believes in him to improve. Good stuff.

#1317 Mathloom, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  18. pippsux

pippsux Member

:D

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's even worse when he does outscore other players because of how many shots he has to take to do that. I'm always happy when he comes out of the game.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

Fanspo trade machine says success and projection yields +2 wins.