1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

With respect:
    Ime Udoka coached these guys who were a defensive rabble last year to br amongst the NBAs best defensive teams. I'm guessing he knows more about defence than 'AbelGe87'

Aply was poor tonight. It happens. No point attempting to deflect.

cryout75, tagedieb, IvanLCPM and 9 others like this.
  4. 34to11

34to11 Member

5. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Was at the game tonight. Yes alpy wasn’t great tonight but Trae and Dejounte cooked everyone. In the first half on the switch Bari and Unc Jeff could not stay with Trae. What the hell is Al P supposed to do switch? Hedge? Stick with the big? The hawks were exploiting and hitting everything. Our low men were awful tonight, looking at you Jalen. They were sleeping on every roll. Why is Jalen staying glued to Bey when Okongwu had like 5 rolls unchecked. We did way better when we started delay doubling Trae and then zoning up on weak side.
    The game was in the bag but that awful fourth quarter lineup killed us to start the quarter. Jalen and amen can’t play together. Honestly Jalen should never play. He provides nothing on ball and missed every defensive assignment

#9665 BallaDoc, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    cmoak1982, Patience, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Yeah I think Alpe’s supposed to show until FVV gets over the screen and have part of his body still with the screener and react if he slips. He was a little slow in it tonight and we got caught off guard. I think it will get cleaned up. IMO there should’ve been weak side help too.

And if folks are stressed about this as a long term fatal flaw, which I don’t think it is at all, this would be harder to exploit with Amen on ball in the future.

Patience, Easy, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

The low man, particularly Jalen, were not doing ****. The delayed double really got to Trae

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure what he was supposed to do!!

All I know is that Udoka wasn't happy with his instructions not being followed, and some random on twitter is criticising Ime...

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ime is great, but also not infallible. Ime has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know, but if you see the comments from Twitter user jumangeez I posted above (@JayZ750) - they make a lot of sense to me.

From watching it, it looked kind of painful because he got caught on an island several times, but it reminded me of the schemes last season - he was trying to defend two people while certain other people (Jalen cough cough) seemed to guard absolutely no one. I think it's a mix of him not doing well, but also the team overall not doing well. I hope the coaches can fix it.

cml750 and BallaDoc like this.
  10. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

It will not be easy to overcome, if the opponent was the old Warriors team,you just have to put Bari at 5 and play switching everything defense.

11. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I see when Jalen's defense is brought into question - it's disregarded because ROCKETS TOP DEFENSIVE TEAM!!!!

But Alpi doesn't get treated with the same kid gloves hahaha.

cryout75 and BallaDoc like this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Is twitter dead?

No tweet from any thread is opening for me.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was a rough night, no matter how you slice it......oh mang.

14. PWR

PWR Member

One thing is for certain, Sengun and Jalen shouldn't be on the court together.

Season net ratings...

Sengun/FVV: +6.4
    Sengun/Jalen: -0.3
    Sengun/Brooks: +5.5
    Sengun/Jabari: +2.0
    Sengun/Tari: +22.5
    Sengun/Tate: +5.0
    Sengun/Holiday: +5.6
    Sengun/Jeff: +9.1

Sengun plays well with everyone in the main rotation except Jalen.

15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Ime started the fourth against Trae with a lineup of Sengun, Jalen, Tate, Holiday, and a rusty Amen…… what did he think was going to happen lol. Everyone in our section saw the lineup and was like we lost

16. a time to chill

Ime said he had to get Fred some rest

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

What is the point of playing Amen to have him camp in the corner as a spot up shooter? Like isn't he suppose to be a PG. Why play him if he doesn't even touch the ball. Might as well have just played Tate or Bullock.

HardenReturns likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Jalen is still playing like he expects to be the #1 option, and Ime is apparently letting him do so. The problem is he sucks at passing. Sometimes he tries to get the ball to Sengun on the PnR, but it usually doesn't work out well. Either they turn it over entirely or Alpi doesn't get the ball cleanly and in the right spot and has to fumble with it before making his move. When Fred is running with him, that is not an issue.

If Jalen is going to keep his starting role, I think he needs to come off the court early in the first quarter and play with the bench more often than not, and just play fewer minutes in general. Maybe 25 per game or so. Not unheard of for starters to play that few minutes.

Tari should take a good chunk of Jalen's minutes and get up over 25mpg.

19. a time to chill

My guess is because Ime had more confidence in Holiday than Amen who is a rookie, hasn't played in a while, and recovering from an illness.

BaselineFade and Patience like this.
  20. MystikArkitect

He can't dribble yet. Doesn't understand the pace of the game. Yesterday he tried to accelerate and penetrate and almost lost the ball. Amen is miles ahead of Cam in this department but there's an ocean between rookies and veterans when it comes to processing the game. Amen isn't going to be the answer this year as a Fred backup. Holiday is probably the better answer right now unless we trade for a Rubio or Conley or Rose.