1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should trade Jalen Green for Donovan Mitchell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shakes05, Nov 19, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

On the Hoop Collective, I think they said the Cavs gave up 3 1sts and 2 swaps to get Donovan, and that the Cavs would probably want that kind of return to trade Donovan.

Add to it that Donovan wants to be in NY, which would probably mean he wouldnt be happy in Houston.

Add to that he is a 1.5 year rental.

I might feel a bit differently if he embraced his love for Houston and wanted to sign an extension here.

robbie380 and ChillyPete32 like this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mitchell IS an Udoka guy lol. 109 lifetime drated player who can hit 3's and create offense who is coming off a 61%TS 2022 season and is sitting at 58% so far this year as a guard which is remarkable. He is every bit as impactful as Harden TODAY which is more a testament to the greatness that is James in his age 34 season - it shouldnt be some red flag towards Mitchell. He would be an amazing get and is really the only guy besides maybe Maxey that I could see giving up a good portion of our war chest for and who could be attainable (even though I fully expect Maxey to re-up with Philly). Just spitballing. Who else is a realistic player in a weird place who might be available if the price is right ... Zion? DeRozen? Lavine? Siakam? D'angelo? Malik Monk? Ingram? Any of those guys "better" than Mitchell?

cdxiong, DaDakota, utgrad97 and 3 others like this.
  3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

It is very difficult to get anyone better, true. Desmond Bane is easier to slot in than Mitchell due to his better size and shooting, even if he has less shot creation. Terance Mann is also interesting.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Green + Landale for Mitchell and Allen. Let's go. It solves our backup C in a big way. Mitchell is no superstar, but he can be utilized more consistently in 4th quarter sets when the game bogs down, and maybe the bump to a bubble team by adding Mitchell and Allen makes the team an appealing free agent destination for future guards. Cleveland will have to be sold on Green's tantalizing upside and potential which I'm told by half of Clutchfans that he has.

5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

They also sent out Markannen, Sexton, and Agbaji who was just drafted at the end of the lottery. Sexton was in similar take a flyer territory then as Jalen is now. Markannen wasn’t what he is now but was a legitimate asset and Agbaji sort of was.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jalen Green First Year in a Ime Udoka Spur System playing off ball still learning.

Fred VanVleet is scoring and pick and roll with Sengun but leaving out Jalen Green even more.

Amen Thompson with Jalen Green is a much better fit. Amen Thompson is a defender unlike Fred who can't defend Lillard. Going off for 39 points. Fred scoring 27 points but Jalen and Jabari was left out in the offense.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We would have to add 2 first round picks + JaeSean + Dipo. And it would have to be Tristan Thompson instead of Allen. But I would do it.

https://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine

#87 Astrodome, Dec 20, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    Verbal Christ and YOLO like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Cavs is draft capital poor so 1 or 2 FRP would get their attention, or if you throw in an Amen Thompson, we could outbid other teams. For Cavs, Jalen is not a complete raw prospect, he's on the same timeline as their other core: Evan.

Donovan's defense is a thing, but even this year with him on the Cavs, they're still 9th in DEF RTG right now. Look at the last HOU v CLE game, he was clearly the best player on the court. Donovan would raise our offensive floor.

For a a rental, I would still consider it.

a) Donovan might like it here and extend.
    b) we can still flip Donovan again to NY or MIA and get some stuff back (abeit less), if he doesn't extend.
    c) if another disgruntled star shows up, offering Donovan is more attractive than dangling Jalen Green.

It's about continuously upgrading even if Donovan might not be on the final contending team.

Top 15, top 25 and a top 50. If there's a chance to get a top 25, you definitely consider it.

#88 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 20, 2023
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would rather have Lauri Markkanen if we're dropping a boatload of draft picks for somebody.

invocux likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

If you drop Jalen and Amen, then it wouldn't have to be a boat load of picks. Lauri is nice, but tbh, he's only done it with one team for one year (hopefully not a blip). With Donovan (fair or not) his name carries, and there's probably more re-sell value.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

We should absolutely, 100% not trade Amen. We have a lot of depth at the 2-4 spots. We don't have anybody else who remotely projects to be able to play point guard after Fred. Amen also still has the highest ceiling of all our players except maybe Sengun.

I could see adding Cam to a deal maybe. It would hurt, but might be worth it.

BallSoHarden and tycoonchip like this.
  12. Evans32

Evans32 Member

Rockets should do this 4 team trade!

Rockets: Mitchell,Cam Johnson, Rubio, Jones, Bol
    Suns: FVV, Landale
    Cavs: Beal, Green
    Nets: Levert,Amen,Bullock

Mitchell/Rubio
    Brooks/Holiday
    Cam Johnson/Tate/Whitmore
    Smith/Tari/Bol
    Sengun/Jeff Green/Jones

13. HROZ

HROZ Member

It's not a one for one swap

With Donovan we aren't going to compete
    Plus we have so many wings already. Quality wings

We need to save up the draft capital to upgrade Fred when we are ready to compete.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Maybe yes, maybe no, the playmaker role you speak of is the draft profile archetype. As we seen with some of our draft guys; the profile and the reality of building to doesn't always align. The Thompsons ended up on the same OTE team, where one had to be a pg and the other a wing; it just ended up that way.

To be a ball handler PG, you don't have to be knock down shooter, but you have to be at least a threat (like FVV). Or else things like the PnR with Sengun would fall apart. If Amen never develops a shot, I don't see him as PG and Sengun would work; paint would be too crowded.

On instances where Sengun is the hub, a spacer is ideal, which Amen may never be. That's not to say he can't get there, but he's fighting an uphill skill climb. My fear is Amen doesn't pan out, once he actually start playing and the sample size grows. His 'mystery box' may actually yield more value on the trade market. I also know this is a hot take (at least right now), as FO is not going to deal Amen unless a superstar is on the other end, but it's just my opinion. Should at least consider it. Other NBA GMs are not dumb, if you ask for good stuff; you have consider giving up your good stuff or a mystery box.

I get it, after KPJ, there is much thirst in eventually having a pg role to work out. But that should not cloud our judgement of evaluating a pg replacement independently. Like anything, if after a few years, FVV leaves, you can still find one elsewhere if you have to.

I also don't subscribe to willing to give up cam but keep Amen. Based on what NBA data? At least with with one of them, their baseline for scoring and shooting is higher. Let them both earn their minutes against the vets.

I'll touch availability briefly. It isn't just Amen not contributing, but in terms of reps, he's behind his class, I don't mean just Chet/Wemby/Henderson/Miller, right now Coulibaly, Jazquez, Ausar, Podziemski, Hawkins are all ahead of him in terms getting NBA reps. It's like starting the school year, but already missed the first quarter.

#94 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 20, 2023
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I see Jabari as every bit the player Markkanen is if not more. Mitchell is a better defender and play creator and can run the point when needed. Im good with Tari, Jabari, Sengun, and Brooks holding down the frontcourt.

Jalen, Amen and Cam are going to be the odd guys out PLUS picks if a deal manifests soon.

cdxiong likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen is going anywhere. He is our future Pg.

OremLK likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen Thompson is 2 years away from being 2 years away.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green is so awful that he could fetch…Donovan Mitchell

Where is the logic with those so desperate to trade him?

dudes on here will be like “Green sucks, would u trade him for LaMelo?”

19. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

You honestly believe that we could get Mitchell and Allen for Green and Landale?

20. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Another day where casuals think this is 2k and you can pull off crap like this.