1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Pacers are trying to stay alive, taking on Brunson and the Knicks in Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Miss Silas???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Dec 16, 2023.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sengun this year is anchoring the 6th best defense in the league. Sengun's defense was never bad. let that sink in.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

Remember the Blazers game, when Dame dropped 70+ on us. Silas had Sengun in the deep drop defense whole game, even when very clearly Lilard was on fire in his jump shooting. Rockets was on the bad end of the viral highlight video. Embarrasing.

I'm betting in upcoming Bucks game against Dame, Ime is not having Sengun in deep drop.

#42 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 16, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Yep. He didn't have the Brooks, VanVleet, Jeff Green leadership of the squad and the younger players are a year older. The improvement isn't just because we changed coaches. Only simple people look at that.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Silas had yall fighting over scrubs and potential incoming scrubs that were cut from losing teams .... So yes I miss those threads and the laughter they brought me..

clos4life likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Sengun after that game was gutted too! Silas sent Sengun out there talking about you gotta be better when Silas had no plan on defense against one of the best iso scores ever. smh. Man We are lucky Sengun wasnt scarred playing under Silas. That child was truly depressed; had no idea if he was playing bball right.

This is how DET is playing defense by the way. I know Silas is only lead assistant, but Pistons shouldn't be this bad on defense with the defenders they have over there.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You’re definitely the main character.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And he wasn’t a nice guy, at all. Sengun explicitly said he was lying to his face.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'd put that chump on ignore, good luck arguing with him about Sengun.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Good thing I'm just Nick and not "Silas sympathizer man"

Painting people into boxes is a cheap way to dismiss someone with a different opinion, thats a wack political tactic. I've seen over a decade of the D&D brother, you're going to have to come harder than that.

[​IMG]

At the crux of our disagreement, we can boil it down to the debate of whether this year's roster is significantly better than last year's - independent of coaching. I think it is, and it seems you don't.

HP3 likes this.
  10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

like someone said here. If FVV goes down with an injury this roster is not as good as you think. we have even less shooting than last year if you think about it. If DB, Tate and Holiday weren't shooting out of their minds (they have comeback down to earth btw) this team would be cooked.

If you have silas coaching this team right now they are not even in the playoff picture. They are bottom feeding.

cml750 and clos4life like this.
  11. clos4life

clos4life Member

Honestly, FVV is the most important player on this team right now. He goes down we're screwed.

DreamShook likes this.
  12. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This really isn't true. At all.

You can still play Alpi bigger minutes and more involved.

Then go to Green and KPJ down to the stretch to still lose.

You still could have "insert a myriad of things Silas didn't do" and still go through Green and KPJ down the stretch and still lose.

Heck, he could have still tried to make Green happen instead of KPJ and just given the ball to KPJ down the stretch to lose.

No, Silas didn't lose on purpose. As we've witnessed multiple times now, Silas is just a flat out loser who is not a quality coach.

HardenReturns, cml750 and ashleyem like this.
  13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I do find it kinda funny how Silas has now been part of 3 of the worst losing streaks and maybe teams of all time. He was an assistant on that atrocious Bobcats team (his dad was the HC).

Then he was on the Rockets and now this Pistons team.

Also while Silas was awful, Lionel Hollins might have been just as bad. Sure we added 2 plus defenders, but to make this much of a turnaround in the season on defense speaks to mostly how poorly coached they were on that end last year.

Makes me sad to see Garuba go too not just because of Jock, but because I think he would've flourished defensively with Ime

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't missed any coach since Rudy Tomjanovich.

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He is the steady presence this team sorely lacked. When he almost got injured yesterday, that got me nervous big time.

Hopefully Amen can start to play again and also let us rest FVV some more. He's like 2nd in MPG currently

clos4life likes this.
  16. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets actually have the 2nd best defense :)

HardenReturns, cml750 and DreamShook like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So if our key FA addition Fred goes down, and if our other additions in Brooks/Holiday/Green weren't playing so well (sans Tate) this team would be cooked? I mean that sounds like you see them as making a significant impact on the number of wins we've had this season.

If we had the same exact roster with Silas coaching, I think we probably look more like the Bulls/Hawks/Warriors/Raptors range, not the Spurs/Wizards/Pistons + Rockets of the past. FVV/Brooks w Green + Holiday have been too good for that. FVV is a coach on the court, thats just what a championship / all star experienced PG does.

All the vets make a big difference in setting the tone in the locker room, they bring their winning experiences. Jeff played 20mpg on the championship team last year. Brooks has played 650+ starting minutes in the playoffs.

Right, basketball is hugely affected by individual players like no other sport, so many teams are one key player going down from racking up L's.

[​IMG]

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Silas’ teams never played defense. They didn’t respect him as a coach and freaking Stone came down and humiliated him at halftimes telling him who to play. The team was out of control and it WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A DISASTER UNDER A BETTER COACH LIKE UDOKA! Can’t believe people think Udoka would have had the worst 3 year record in NBA history with prior Rockets teams.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

3 worst seasons in Rockets history vs. at least 1 WS ring and multiple WS appearances. Not the same although I understand the sentiment.

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I don't think any Rockets brass wanted us to be remotely as bad as we were last year... And we don't have much to show for it, either.