1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] What are you playing? (Omikron Edition)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I too am in the early days of playing XC3. Enjoying it so far (only at the start of chapter 3), with the exception of maybe the tutorials are too heavy-handed. Maybe they took the feedback and of how impossibly obtuse XC2 was about its systems and went too far the other way, but at least they made the effort!

Gotta say though, I got diverted pretty hard into playing Wildermyth. Apparently it's about 2.5 years old, but I hadn't really heard of it until I picked it up by chance as part of a Humble Bundle. And man. It is freaking hard to say enough nice things. The turn-based combat is fairly simple, but has enough depth to not be boring. I love the look. The storytelling that changes based on your characters' randomly generated personalities is amazing. Even after you're seeing nothing but repeat events it's still very good. But those first few playthroughs where it's all new? Pure magic. And it's $25 full-price. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoys a good lightweight strategy RPG.

RC Cola likes this.
  4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Wildermyth is pretty fun. I picked it up when I crossed paths with someone who works on it (it's an Austin based developer). It's a fun tactics game. I played 6 or so campaigns. I would like to use more legacy characters instead of rerolling new ones.

Still need to finish XC3. I'm on chapter 6 but the sidequests pull me away from the main story every time. I did finish Trails in the Sky SC at least. Charming cast of characters and world. I'm debating starting the 3rd chapter to finish that arc, or diving into Persona 5 on the Switch.

Drexlerfan22 and RC Cola like this.
  5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I think the tutorials are a bit much (and I don't think XC2 did great either), though tutorials themselves don't typically bother me. I'm more bothered by gameplays systems that take 15-20 hours before they're fully unlocked (so you're still getting tutorials that deep into a game).

For anyone that cares, I did wrap up the DLC. I think I liked the gameplay of that better than the main game (though it was a smaller scope). Think I preferred the base game characters over the DLC. Story was interesting, but ultimately didn't really connect with me, and yet again I feel like I lost interest as the game tried to wrap things up. I don't know if I'm the one that's broken or the games, but yeah that seems to be a trend for me in each of these games.

I thought it was nostalgia, but I checked out some retrospectives on Xenogears and Xenosaga (Episode 1), and they just seem so much better in the things I typically care about with stories (including *much* better villains):

(yes, I watched *all* of these haha)

The Xenoblade games came close to these, but ultimately seemed to be missing some things that greatly elevated the previous Xeno games (even if they were more heavily flawed). I actually have a conspiracy theory that Monolith Soft doesn't really involve Takahashi that much in these games except for the general concepts. That's probably a good thing since he's a terrible project manager/director, but I also don't think it is a coincidence that I like these games less the more others are involved (and the less he's seemingly involved). I guess Xenosaga 2 is the ultimate form of that. His wife essentially not being involved at all with story stuff since Xenosaga 1 probably has something to do with it too (I kinda wonder what's going on there?).

I'm sure I'm 100% wrong about my conspiracy theory, and Takahashi is literally working on and approving everything that goes into these games. But with this theory, I can pretend like we can get another experience like those others in the future.

As for Wildermyth, yeah I've seen Steam recommend it to me multiple times over the last couple of years. I came close to buying it (it did look really good), but ultimately decided to hold off while I finish up some of my backlog. I've been playing a lot of lighter games anyway over that time, and now I'm trying to burn through some heavier games. I'm currently playing Chained Echoes, then I'll probably run through Sea of Stars to wrap up the big indie RPGs I missed. Once I clean up some of my backlog, I'll probably give Wildermyth one a shot.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  6. Drexlerfan22

I'm over 100 hours into Wildermyth and have quite a store of legacies built up. At this point I'm just planning to do legacy campaigns to get my favorites up to 5* and get all their hook quests resolved, then go through any story campaigns I haven't done yet (I think there are two?) before I'm finally done with it.

Man, Trails is a whole 'nother project I may get into at some point. Bought all of Sky and Cold Steel over years whenever they went on discount, because I heard such good things. If those are as good as they're supposed to be I've got JRPGs for like 3 years haha. And I've still never played Persona 5 or done any play-throughs of the Chrono Cross remake.

As far as XC, the standalone DLC for 2 was one of my faves, it felt more refined than the base game to me, so doesn't shock me you'd feel the same way about the one for 3.

Agreed also that the stories were better in Gears/Saga. Gears was just an overall masterpiece that I should play again one day. Saga 1 was pretty good overall but wasn't tippy-top for me by itself, outside of Albedo being one of my fave villains ever. 2nd I loved the story standalone probably the best but the music and the combat irritated me. 3rd was an unappreciated gem that apparently not many people played because 2nd was considered a disappointment. Shame, because taken all as one story, it really is one of my favorites ever.

I keep hearing about Chained Echoes! Yet another thing I have to check out! But yeah, I promise you'll love Wildermyth whenever you get to it. It's on the edge of being a top 10 all-timer for me.

RC Cola likes this.
  7. RC Cola

Yeah, I ended up skipping that DLC, but I'll probably come back to it at some point. I only did the XC3 DLC since it ended up trying to relate all 3 games together, so it sorta felt like a general Xenoblade DLC than one specific to XC3.

I'm pretty sure if Xenogears played like Disc 2 the entire time, I'd still consider it a masterpiece. A terrible, incomplete thing you could barely call a game (and far from fun), but a masterpiece nevertheless. And until recently (because of those videos I shared), I didn't even realize some of the deeper things I completely missed (Gnosticism, lots of Freudian/Jungian stuff, etc.). Lots of significant translation issues too, though honestly the translation was pretty good all things considered.

I honestly hadn't thought much about Xenosaga until recently. Played it ~20 years ago (and maybe only played/watched a bit of the 2 sequels). It seemed worse in my memory, though rewatching playthroughs, it definitely had some special things going for it IMO. They clearly screwed up in breaking up their story, and that greatly impacted the first game (in a bad way), which then impacted the 2nd game. I think they did manage to get things sorta back on track with the third game (partly by getting Takahashi to be more involved to fix the issues from the 2nd game). So that kinda had its own form of the Xenogears 2nd disc, which should objectively make it worse than any Xenoblade. Yet I still like them better overall for stuff like Albedo, who as you mentioned is a great villain (significantly better than any Xenoblade villain...in fact there are possibly other Xenosaga villains who also fit that description).

I'm probably just a sucker for overly ambitious games. I feel like I'm being pretty harsh on the Xenoblade games, but I still thought they were great overall (better than most of its peers from what I've played). Plus they're actually finished projects that were properly managed! I think I'm just spoiled from all the amazing games we got in the late 90s/early 2000s, so if a game doesn't have a top 10 villain of all time (or something like that), I feel a bit disappointed.

Good to hear about Wildermyth. And yeah I'm trying hard to get ahead of all these SNES/PS1 style RPGs before they all come out (I backed Eiyuden Chronicle and will likely play that shortly after it launches). I've even cooled a bit on bigger budget AAA Japanese RPGs (including Metaphor: ReFantazio, which I should be eagerly anticipating since I'm a big Persona/SMT fan, but...I'm not...for now).

I'll report back later on my Chained Echoes thoughts if/when I finish it. Too early to say much except the art is pretty good. Probably the music too.

8. Drexlerfan22

You know another thing I'm reminded about that helped sour me on 2, and maybe other people, is they seemed to give Shion both a visual overhaul and personality transplant with no reasoning given. Made her look more realistic overall, darkened here hair, and she went from being the yes-we-can energizer-bunny always-positive cheerleader to being, well, a fussy b****. Maybe my memory exaggerates it, but it seemed pretty dire at the time. Didn't stop the rest of the story from being great, but just... why? I'll also never understand why they kicked Mitsuda to the curb for two. I remember reading something along the lines of "they told him he wasn't needed anymore". Because you know, he's chopped liver I guess? What? Why?

Albedo was for sure next level, but to be totally fair I actually did like Metal-Face a lot. He was no Albedo, especially in the sense that he wasn't around as much throughout the story. But he was still a lot of scenery-chewing fun. Whereas XB2? I liked the hero characters better overall than XB1, but I literally have already forgotten who the villain(s) even are in that game, which goes to show how much they resonated with me.

9. RC Cola

Yeah they changed a lot of things unnecessarily with the 2nd game. Don't know if you remember, but they changed the voice acting company, and that resulted in many of the voice actors being replaced (generally from good ones to bad ones). I think Albedo's actor and a few others reprised their role, but Shion, KOS-MOS, and others were replaced. A few went back to the originals for the 3rd game (including Shion).

And yeah they changed the visual style...for reasons. I guess the original was a bit too anime looking for some, but whatever they tried to do with the 2nd game... didn't work.

It's like the new devs just wanted to do everything their own way and can't everything from the first game. I forgot the specifics, but I guess that extends to Mitsuda too (and they dropped the ball with his replacements, though did better in the 3rd). I want to say Mitsuda barely was able to do the first game, but I'm guessing he should have been available for the 2nd. Since it seemed like Monolith was disrespecting (IMO) his buddy Takahashi (and Takahashi's wife), maybe Mitsuda wasn't interested as well (even if his services were needed).

This whole time, I thought it was Namco that pushed for these changes, but apparently it was stuff Monolith wanted themselves. Which is weird since Takahashi co-founded the company, but guess there were others in charge that wanted to do something else.

It's funny you say that. I *almost* singled out the first game and Metal-Face specifically as the villains I actually liked quite a bit (though I think some story stuff diminished their value).

And yes, I had the exact same opinion as you about the characters in the first two games, and the lack of a good villain in the 2nd. That's probably my biggest complaint about the 2nd game (at least from a story perspective).

They've actually managed to nail some specific things in each game, but can't seem to get everything quite right in a single game (at least IMO).

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  10. Poloshirtbandit

Andre0087 likes this.
  11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I am finally finishing up Jedi Survivor. Awesome game.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. RC Cola

I think that subreddit might have other bits here and there not in that link. Keep in mind this is stolen data taken from who knows when, so don't judge any game stuff too harshly. It sucks for Insomniac. Thank you Bitcoin/Crypto!

Anyway, I recently finished Act 1 and put a few hours into Act 2 of Chained Echoes, which I mentioned earlier. To anyone who has played or will play this game, you should know that the game is (IMO) VERY different once you get to Act 2 (and that took ~10 hours for me). I'm actually quite perplexed at what the dev was thinking. I can't say I hated Act 1, but it did feel...pretty meh and boring most of the time, which was odd given the inspirations for the game. Then you see that stuff show up in Act 2. I'm talking gameplay mechanics (battle and otherwise), story, characters, etc. It almost feels like a different game.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Poloshirtbandit

I was stuck on the Rayvis fight and finally beat him last night. The levels are horribly designed but otherwise the game is fun.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Steam Winter Saaaaaaale! Time to buy all those games you won't be playing for years (if ever)! :D

16. RC Cola

OK, finished up the game earlier today (at least the main story). I ended up liking the game quite a bit (I will 100% check out whatever the dev does next), though there were some flaws in both gameplay, story/writing, and overall design. Generally, I'd put these above nitpicks but below significant flaws that make you absolutely hate a game. You can also handwave some of these flaws by saying "oh it was mostly made by just one guy" or "hey the game is ~$20, so no biggie." If this was a AAA game, I'd possibly be more critical, but all things considered, I think I'd strongly recommend the game to fans of these kinds of RPGs. Oddly enough, I might be in the minority about the Act 1 being...odd...but regardless, definitely try to stick with it to Act 2 if you find yourself bored in Act 1.

I'd also note (again?) that the game is heavily inspired by some classic RPGs (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy especially the Ivalice games, Xenogears, Suikoden, etc.), and there are some things that blur the lines between homages and things that were just flat out copied straight from those games.

I just started Sea of Stars. Immediate impressions are....this sure is a very pretty game. I like the looks of FFXVI/FF7 Remake/etc. as much as the next guy, but these kind of projects seem to offer much more bang for the buck. Can't say the other parts of the game (except maybe sound/music) are really impressing me, but I'm still way too early. From what I understand, it is these other aspects that seemed to disappoint some that played the game.

17. clos4life

clos4life Member

After ovr 135 hours and very slow play since release day I'm almost done with BG3. Truly worthy GOTY .

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

These retro maps being released on halo infinite multiplayer have been amazing

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Retro maps? Like Halo 1, 2 and 3 maps?

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just #3 right now, which is right in my nostalgia wheelhouse

Salvy likes this.