1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to trade Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Nov 28, 2023.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Seeing how bad Scoot has been this year, makes me think that the G league does not prepare players well enough. Jalen and Scoot are the two guys that came out of there that were high draft picks. Jalen had two years under one of the worst coaches of all time, Sengun had solid coaching in Europe and asked to be coached harder by Ime like he was in Europe, some of the US players are not coached up the same way , I forgot who it was that mentioned this maybe Charles did. I think Jalen would have benfitted from taking a different route than G League, he has not earned his starting spot, but I don't see us getting fair value for him at all right now. I would want to be the team that trades for him and tries to get somethng out of him. Whoever you trade him for is going either have a lower ceiling, or going to come with baggage themselves.

Bo6, mtbrays, GOATuve and 4 others like this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

What would it realistically take for Cunningham?

Green+Brooklyn assets?

3. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Giving up on your #2 pick early isn't unheard of, you have Category 5 busts like Wiseman and Thabeet who didn't make it past year 2 because it was obvious they were terrible from day 1.

Then dudes like Beasley and Turner who either got shipped out to make room for star players or really never developed into much (albiet Turner was a year 3 move).

I don't think Green is Thabeet or Wiseman bad where there's just no talent to speak of, but things should be much easier for him and they simply aren't.

Sorry to do this, but remember @fchowd0311 going on about how Green's struggles came from an overload of usage and taking tons of off-the-dribble shots? He has the ball in his hands significantly less now and his efficiency hasn't budged at all.

Yet at the same time, Green panning out is what would turn this team from a 40 win to a 50 win outfit, the idea of Jalen Green is exactly what the Rockets need, but the reality isn't matching up.

As for trading him, Beasley netted a single second round pick for the Heat, and Wiseman netted two late seconds and Gary Payton Jr. Trading Green early would net us diddily-dick in terms of assets. I'd rather ride it out.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

One thing’s for sure: I don’t trust Stone to make a good Jalen trade.

5. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

So much this! Even player like Kuminga who probably was in the best position to succeed fail to produce consistently for the Warriors. Looking at from the hind sight KPJ schooled Jalen in G League and Cam looks better than both KPJ and Jalen

subtomic, BallSoHarden and Sonicbun8 like this.
  6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The fact that he played better during the Silas years says it all……

HardenReturns and Big Time Titan like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think when you look at Scoot Henderson, Jaden Ivey, and Jalen Green it just shows how that highly flashy play style doesn't translate well in the nba.

When you are a freak athlete playing against mere mortals, you can get away with it... but in the NBA, there's not enough separation between the freak athletes and the average player at the NBA level to have your game be nearly entirely based on athleticism.

This board had the exact same people fawning over all 3 of those guys and all 3 are looking like future bench players.

NewAge, GOATuve and Sonicbun8 like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

And then you have D.Nix and Isiah Todd... Ignite is trash, basically...

GOATuve likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Jalen sucked ass last night. In a game where nobody but Tari played above himself, Jalen was really especially awful. Worst of anyone on the floor. We can’t keep having nights like that and pretending it’s getting better. It’s very clearly not. I’m not remotely as concerned about the mindset of the fan base as I am about Jalen’s performance. I honestly don’t care what the opinions of this board are. My opinion and your opinion and our posts here don’t mean a thing. His play means a lot.

BamBam and HardenReturns like this.
  10. Big Time Titan

I want to love Jalen but he just doesn’t Wow me. Jeff’s old ass out there showing him up. I don’t think we get fair value so I think ride it out hope he starts to ball out. I’m not counting on it though.

evo8lover likes this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

According to the stats since he got drafted he has shown minimal improvent if any. He is a better rebounder and that's pretty much it. Though i think he is a better playmaker now and despite of his low to mid bbiq him and Sengun formed some decent chemistry. He didn't play better at all he took up 18 shots went to the ft line 6 times and averaged 22 ppg. His TS% was below league average among guards and still is. So the only thing that keeps him from being one of the worst sg's in the league is his speed. So if we give him the ball and let him shoot we are f.cked. That also means screening for him is absolutely pointless since he's not a reliable shooter. So you give him the ball and hope that he attacks to the rim, makes his layup or gets fouled and goes to the ft line. But he has weak handles so he's not a good iso player. .

12. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Don't forget Jaden Hardy

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

There are some good players that have come out of the G-League. Also way too early to be thinking bust on Scoot Henderson

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think the best comparison and the path he is going down is Andrew Wiggins. Just a lot of hope for development based on athleticism, but never really figured out a way to score efficiently. Wiggins had to reinvent himself into a defensive player to be useful for the warriors.

Tuckmose and NewAge like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Scoot had 2 years in the G League.

Jalen's entire career before the Rockets was 1 month of bubble g league and high school. By year 3 he has that experience plus 2 years under Stone/Silas/KPJ. I can't think of a worse development experience in NBA history to be honest. I mean it, I can't think of any.

That's why I often say he should have been treated like a HS'er with limited minutes and shots playing among veterans from day 1. SG's out of high school don't become winning players till their 3rd year and that's with normal development (see: T-Mac, Kobe whose minutes/shots were super chill first two years, thus hidden).

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Agreed.

What he saw was that pulling Jalen and putting in Tari gave them the best chance to win.
    We will see how Jalen, the team and Ime responds.

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

And that's what should happen. Silas allowed KPJ and Jalen to do whatever the wanted and we essentially wasted any development of Green which is why he's the same player outside of defense. I think the team and Jalen will respond well. They know what type of a coach he is. Ime won't play favorites like Silas did

slothy420 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is always going to be fun as long as Ime is going against Pop and they both are where they are.

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Yeah but there are skills that should see improvement regardless who coaches him. Jalen is shooting the exact same or worse on his 3 point shot and free throws coming into his 3rd season. for how much of a gym rat he is suppose to be, why is his jump shot so bad. You don't need Silas or Ime to coach you how to shoot in the off season

utgrad97 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  20. mightybosstone

When I say "advanced stats," I'm not talking basic raw numbers like per game scoring or just shooting averages. I'm talking actual advanced stats like BPM, WS/48, VORP and PER. Most of which point to a slight improvement overall. Yeah, the raw per game numbers say he's regressed, but surrounded by actual adults and a coach who knows what he's doing, I think that can be expected. Overall, a slight bump in efficiency over last season (yes, it's lower than his rookie year) and a large bump in TRB% and defensive metrics show he's at least made some marginal improvement, but I fully agree that the improvement is almost negligible.

With fewer shots and a more focused role, his scoring efficiency should be much higher than it is. For a good chunk of the season, it looked like it was going to be. But aside from the Denver game, this four-game stretch in December has been pretty awful, which goes back to my previous point that he's just too inconsistent. If we were getting November Jalen Green (20/4/4 on 15 shots with 44/38/79 shooting percentages), I'd actually feel OK about that. I want to at least see that guy for a full season; it would be a step in the right direction, if not the leap in progress we were hoping for.

xtruroyaltyx and Carpe82 like this.