1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anyone explain if Jabari was right here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Young players making mistakes - it wasn’t a judgment call. Sengun hesitated and that is all that Davis needed. Problem is that if Sengun commits too early and someone has a wide open three.

They will get on the same page and Sengun and Smith will know exactly when to expect the other to be there.

Smith is high strung - Davis is a REALLY tough assignment, especially with the spacing he had. I’m sure he was frustrated.

Sengun looked to me from his body language that he maybe wished he hadn’t hesitated and committed earlier.

To me I see it overall as a positive. They both knew where the other was and they both knew where to be on the court and what Davis was trying to do - a year ago neither of them would have been in proper positioning or what was going to happen.

slothy420, Dobbizzle, cbass and 6 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari is fine - that is just how he is. When he stops listening, it will be a problem. Players do that fairly often. At least he actually cares.

Sengun and Smith stuck together when Porter and **** show Silas were running the show last year. They are friends.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great to hear.

What do you think about the idea of giving Tari more minutes with Sengun? Could you imagine a PG FVV, SG Brooks, SF Bari, PF Tari, C Sengun lineup for some stretches?

Ankara1923 and Nook like this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When AD was in New Orleans we had Ariza successfully guard him, he isn’t and has never been a power player. I understand he’s gotten stronger with age, and Jabari will do the same, but I don’t understand why Jabari would make AD look like Shaq.

5. invocux

invocux Member

Jabari should have cut off the baseline. Sengun was waiting there in case AD kicks the ball out to Russell. Sengun could have reacted a little bit faster once AD made his move. He came Jabari's help half arsed i think. That's %75 on Jabari %25 on Sengun. Jabari wanted him to come to his help faster so he's right to be annoyed but i don't understand why he shouted at him because AD was not Sengun's man it was his man..

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Jabari Smith and Sengun are probably closer to each other than any other pair of teammates. I really wouldn’t read too much into it. Sengun has also said he likes having people get on him a little bit.

Also - if I am wrong, Udoka will take care of it - but I really doubt Udoka is upset, he likes conflict and sees it as a chance to be positive.

7. Nook

Nook Member

A couple reasons - first, Davis really is that much bigger and stronger than he was 5-6 years ago…. Second is that looks can be deceiving, Ariza was so valuable as a defender because he was deceptively strong and could guard the post as well as big 4/5’s. A number of NBA players talked about the balance and strength of Ariza as a veteran. Last- Jabari isn’t that strong. He doesn’t have the kind of core strength that Ariza has - he can be bumped off his spot and Smith hasn’t learned how to handle bumps.

HardenReturns, Bo6, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I believe Tari deserves more minutes. I need to see how Tari blends in with a more traditionally executed defense - Tari likes to freelance and a lot of times that doesn’t work with a disciplined defense.

Eason with his size/strength and shot blocking is a good foil for Sengun.

What I really want to know is if the Rockets will long term be better with Sengun at the 4 or 5. He is a solid defender in a disciplined defense but I think his game may be better defensively play PF with a long center next to him.

Pretty obvious to me that Sengun is going to be an all star level player at least and Smith is going to be at least a really solid starting wing… both of them are very young and hardworking.

As for Eason, he has a lot of upside defensively and as a 6th man type player.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Whether Jabari was right/wrong in this instance.

He is quickly turning into a player his teammates are not going to respect (unless he somehow turns into a superstar overnight)

His barking and yelling at players is not viewed positively when he's been as trash as he has been to this point.

Especially when he's barking at someone when he's done something wrong and is trying to deflect - the good old KPJ/Green favourite.

The more I see of Jabari the less I like him.

I know the difference between being an ******* out on the court and being a good teammate with constructive criticism. What I constantly see from Jabari definitely ain't the latter.

10. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Depending on Udoka's defensive scheme, I think Alpi was supposed to dive hard to help when AD squared up in triple threat...

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah nobody in that locker room is looking at it like this. Like I said folks overrate the helll out of showing emotion as if this is peewee hoops. Those are the one who separate themselves that don’t realize these types of situations are typical. This won’t even come up again but the ones that are acting like it’s so wrong to be upset at sengun will sit on it when in reality it stopped mattering a long time ago

this reach of nobody is going to respect him is flat out laughable. Not even relevant

anthony59237 likes this.
  12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Typical of Alpi ! Y

OnlyRockets likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say it is still on Bari, he did not communicate clearly that he wanted to double team AD .....

I am not sure Alpe would have had that footspeed to effectively get down there to AD in time.

Now that he already fouled AD, he is voicing his frustration..........overall bad look.

Was that before or after the Udoka ejection?

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Alpi probably should have committed faster but jabari looks weak af getting that upset because he stood 0 chance defending AD in the post. He should be embarrassed and want to get stronger.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not a defensive expert but judging how Dillon Brooks acts in that situation Dillon would be up in AD's grill and hedging between him and the guy on the perimeter.

However I'm also surprised because AD is the center so if anything Sengun should be the one defending him M2M while Jabari should be the one hedging and helping on the double team. Also as the center Sengun shouldn't be expected to hedge between 3 PT line and post.

Personally I think both of them were wrong. However Sengun looked lost and didn't double team immediately and Jabari got embarrassed by AD so that's why Jabari got mad. If these guys were LOL players you know Bari is the one always malding on the comms lol

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Because he is 20? AD got 10 yrs of muscle on him. Just look at rookie AD and look at him now.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are always hating on Rox players. Before it was Green now it is Jabari.

People get mad all the time doesn't mean these guys take it seriously out of the game. The 48 mins you see on the court isn't what these player see of each other.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

IF you are going to double the post, you do it hard and early and your perimeter defenders have to be ready to rotate to that open shooter.

How teams prioritize those actions really comes down to their philosophy and the opponent.
    Some dudes you double, some you live with one on one. The higher the percentage that guy scores from the post, the more likely you are to double and force a lower percentage shot from outside,

Yes, those actions can often leave the back side open for the "hockey assist." That's often on the doubler to recover the back side rotation.

19. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Also to add, only in the past few games did Alpi show hard on a double in literally the exact same position as this play, to also help Jabari.

The man with the ball passed it to the now cutting man wo Sengun was defending.

Result = Jabari doing his signature move. Yelling at teammates.

Damned if you do damned if you don't it seems with Jabari.

HardenReturns likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

FVV told Bari to chill so I'm gonna believe him. Punk ass kid need to chill. Alpi is our best player and bari fixin to be a trade piece.