1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. TheJet

TheJet Member

Anything outside the NBA should be considered "semi-pro". Yes, they're getting paid but the competition isn't the same level. I know plenty of "pro" musicians that get paid but they're not cutting million dollar record deals. It's not exactly fair to account for experience at lower level competition and/or development.

xaos likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That isn't right you are still a professional - just because you are in the minor leagues doesn't make you a non professional Baseball player - you are a pro, you are paid to work on your craft, the Gleague is a pro league - the Championship in soccer is a pro league the MLS a pro league.....just because it is a lessor talented league overall doesn't make it non-pro.

Anyway, let's all just hope Jalen gets consistent - in his 3rd NBA year 4th as a professional and all this nonsense can stop.

DD

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

lol DD...you mean Champions League?

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People who went through Harvard and those who went through University of Phoenix are all "college graduates." But you know their college experiences are miles apart.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Depends, some players benefitted more like Lamelo....

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Championship is called the second best league in England after the Premier League.

The place after relegation/demotion.

Big futball countries such England has 5 pro leagues and a lot of amateur leagues.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

ah okay, got it! Thanks

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. MystikArkitect

If the NBA is College, the G-League is Community College. That's not a real pro league just like the OTE isn't. The only real pro-leagues outside of the NBA are in Europe and Australia.

Comparing it to the Championship is incorrect. If the NBA is the Prem, the Spanish League is probably the Championship. The G-League is maybe the U-17 or EFL League Two.

9. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I am with DD on this...If a player is getting paid, they are professionals! At that point, playing basketball becomes a job! That's why most young players in their teens don't come to play for NCAA here. They get paid when they are in their teens!

HardenReturns and napalm06 like this.
  10. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I meant the European kids...

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The question is why is DD trying to stick "4 years as a pro" to Jalen rather than acknowledging that the gleague is pro basketball. No one is denying that claim.

The question is why is that relevant?

Because DD is implying a claim further than just merely "gleague is a pro league". He is trying to imply that Green has four years of experience like a 4 year NBA vet implying that a 17 game COVID bubble tournament in the gleague is equivalent to a NBA season of experience and training.

xaos likes this.
  12. invocux

invocux Member

GOFs are annoyed that people are criticizing him after his good games. Nobody sent Benjamin Franklin an electricity bill 5 minutes after he discovered electricity. You could take a break and try celebrating his massive performance. Fair enough i could always wait for his stinker but wouldn't that make me an opportunist? Am i such a p***y that i can only come out of the woodwork to bash him after his bad performances? If i don't like him i should be going at him at any time any place so if you are calling me a hater you should be okay with me being a proper hater. Joke aside it's a shi.tty situation. I can't shake of that feeling that his good games are just a fluke and if i eat my words that would be for nothing because 2 days later he'll **** the bed again so basically i don't trust him. So the question arises..Can trust ever be fully regained? I say absolutely. If he sends me 2 million dollars i stop this one sided feud once and for all.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Dd was being disingenuous to prove a non-existent point.

BigMaloe and xaos like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

College kids are getting NIL deals. By your standards, they are now professionals. The reality though is that they aren't being held to a real "professional" standard like the NBA players are. It's just a buzz word and a technicality. Green is been a real "professional" for 2 years. This is his 3rd.

xaos and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. fchowd0311

Oh ya definitely. It's very obvious and why I don't get why people engage with him. He even does the stupid winkie face emoji telling us that he's trolling.

BigMaloe and xaos like this.
  16. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know! You gotta ask that question to DD; I am actually curious, too. When I replied, I didn't think of Jalen at all. My answer to who is a professional and who is not was only in principal, which NCAA happens to believe at least.

17. fchowd0311

Also the gleague provides almost zero development of team concepts. It's almost a purely individual development league akin to AAU.

No gleague player cares about their team record. They care about whether their agent is receiving calls from NBA teams about being interested in them. That's their motivation to ball out in the gleague.

18. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, my intent to answer that question was not agreeing with DD on Jalen. Not basketball related but Turkish Women's Volleyball League is the best in the world! These teams have lots investment in training the young talents. They also try to pay the most talented kids and make them professionals as early as 16-17-18. Same goes for men's basketball. If they accept money from their professional clubs, they became automatically disqualified for playing in the NCAA. That's a fact. I am not familiar with other NIL deals you are talking about but if that's free meals or basketball shoes stuff like that...I mean corrupt acts, I guess...I don't know. Maybe you can give me specific examples?

19. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

he and bobby do this **** all the time to justify their agendas. they're the worst posters on this board.

20. MystikArkitect

In the USA, College kids used to play for free. They couldn't take money from anyone to play for a certain school. The "payment" was the education. Now the kids can take "NIL Deals" which stands for Name-Image-Likeness. Which essentially means that companies can give them money or pay them to sponsor their product or business. Something that didn't used to be allowed. There used to be scandals with players parents being paid or something like that but now that it is more out in the open, it happens less.

But even so, I don't see college kids with NIL money as "professionals". It's still an amateur league. No one cares how long a baseball player has been in Triple A or if a player is tearing it up in the Championship in the Premier League. The top league is a totally different animal.