1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

College players can get NIL payments etc now- therefore they are pros as of freshman orientation.

34to11 likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yup , this was probably the best I’ve seen him play . And it was for a decent stretch . Needs to learn how to reproduce it , as you say “force” … (MDA callback ?)

people will clown me for it , but before this game I’ve seen Tate bring more force .

green needs to learn to do it on D too . He has the tools

Dankstronaut and Losmi_34 like this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

Denver let up quite a bit. It was again Garbage-Time-Jalen that we saw in the first two years...
    I liked better the 1-for-13 Jalen who was hustling and getting boards and we were winning

Corrosion likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

3q was not garage time .

he eve played OK on defense that quarter .

we were missing our two best players vs the champs . It’s ok

backwardhead likes this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun fans need to put other guys down to make him look better, that's 95% of the fanbase hating on Jalen

majicdonjuan, Carpe82 and 34to11 like this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, I am not getting down from that one game, but fact is that it was not a competitive game, DEN was in control throughout... Let's hope we compete against the Fakers

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's the point of HP's post. The point is, if you count Green as a 4th year pro, you should also count Amen a 3rd year pro and not a rookie.

xaos, i3artow i3aller and apollo33 like this.
  8. 34to11

34to11 Member

Not even when he led the charge that whittled a 20 point lead down to single figures?
    Was it also noncompetitive when the Nuggets began sending double teams at him to get the ball out his hands?

9. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

I remember, u were a lob-threat Bruno fan, and say Sengun had to benched. It seems, u have a low basketball IQ.
    Sorry for u Sengun hater, but Sengun is the best player in this team and continue to play long years…For Jalen? He has to show Development. Needs to work.

Tuckmose likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

NBA rookie doesn't mean they weren't playing professionally elsewhere. Ichiro was rookie of the year after playing 9 years of pro ball in Japan. Amen and Ausar elected to play in a shitty pro league for 2 years to showcase themselves rather than go to college. I mean I certainly get not calling OTE professional but the players get $100k minimum contracts...or at least that's what was reported. When they sign they lose college eligibility. Lamelo chose to play in an Australian pro league versus going to college.

I spoilered this because it is distracting from the conversation about Jalen.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I won't spoiler it but yes, athletes are attempting to make money in lower leagues and even at very young age.

College is where you do not make that kind of money and go and study.......

Scola and Prigioni must be the oldest rookies the NBA has ever seen and most seasoned veteran rookies.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really know what your point was when you called Green a "4th year" pro. It seems to me that you used that designation to inflate his professional experience in supporting your point. I am sure you understand that not all professional experiences are the same. Why lump them together as if it means something?

xaos and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it means something as well.....it is not about the level of play though.

When you are a professional, you are paid to get better but players like Jalen cannot get that much better in the G-league, I think that league is pretty awful compared to the NBA....

I think Green has to make sure to hire a professional personal coach to work on his fundamentals.....no matter which league he plays in....that is pretty basic.

It is up to him to become better, not up to everyone else around him.

Easy and DaDakota like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm saying it because he could have chose to go to college but decided to become pro which eliminated his amateur eligibility. I get that all pro leagues aren't the same and I tried to make that clear with my OTE comment. I think the G League is garbage, but Jalen elected to go pro and play with the Ignite. It's the minor league of the NBA. He got paid $500k to go play there. Hockey and baseball minor leagues are considered pro leagues.

Easy likes this.
  15. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The only difference between NCAA basketball and g-league is the g-league doesn't exploit players to the same degree that NCAA does.

If NCAA basketball is an "amateur" league, college coaches wouldn't be coaching Team USA basketball. NCAA also wouldn't be generating significantly more revenue than G-League. In fact, you wouldn't have college scouts in the first place that literally scout and recruit high school stars to their teams, paying them in "benefits".

There is a full wikipedia article here explaining how college leagues have historically utilised the designation of amatuerism to avoid paying their players.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So the games that he stunk it up and the game he got benched in didn't happen ?? It's silly to complain about those ?!?

That just goes to show that the complaints that he is consistently inconsistent are valid.

I think we'd all like to see him go off for 30 every night and the team win as a result .... but that's not what's happened, he's been up and down.

He has more games with less than 10 points than games with 30 or more.

He has an equal number of games with 15 or less points as games with 25 or more .... and the same number between 15-25.

I'm not Anti-Jalen either .... I wish he were playing as well as some seem to believe because it means this franchise is closer than the alternative to winning & competing in the playoffs.

#1376 Corrosion, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    BamBam and fattz like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Only here offering and providing some sort of education to players is seen as exploitation...but okay to each his own....

And people are wondering about On court IQ.....like that does not come with having IQ and being educated as well.....

Personally College Ball (good teams though) offers a structured playbook as well than most G League teams that just try to outshoot and outgun you....it is less about stats padding ...

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If your job is basketball and you are paid to play it, you are technically a pro, same for any sport.

It is then your JOB to improve upon your skills.

DD

#1378 DaDakota, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    fattz likes this.
  19. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

This is also true of college players who expect to go to the NBA. Their JOB is to improve as well - unless you think their JOB is to ace their sports management classwork.

To draw some distinction between pre-NBA years is technical/academic and used for rhetorical purposes only. Which you know, of course, but your goal is just to "win" a rhetorical point, not contribute anything meaningful to a serious discussion about readiness, prior opportunity for improvement, etc.

BigMaloe, IvanLCPM, Easy and 4 others like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Anyone has a personal opinion about pre-NBA status.... I think College Ball can teach you that stats are not that important and March Madness is one of the best tournaments I have witnessed......

You do not play that many games in College, the mileage is lower.

As for improvement, I agree with all those who say it falls upon every player individually to get better where they see their game fit.....so yeah.