1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Start Eason - bench Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like Eason. I've been disappointed in Green. Not sure FVV, Sengun, and Smith could carry the offensive load yet.

Also, the startring lineup is doing really well. I'd want to see significant minutes with another lineup before breaking up what is working.

I do think Eason should be ramping up more playing time, and Green needs to play better or lose time. Just against a reactionary move to do it all at once.

HardenReturns likes this.
  2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Exactly, Tari is a spot up shooter and cutter. The minute we ask him to do more on offense, its going to hurt other areas in his game. He is a Trevor Ariza like player (see what happened when we asked him to be a scorer), not great off the dribble. Tari is a disruptor who scores without demanding touches. We need dynamic scoring, off the dribble, etc.

3. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Dumb post...Tari can't dribble as well. We already have a hustle player in the starting lineup such as Dillon Brooks.
    What we need is another playmaker who can create his own shots in crunch time...trade Jalen for Donovan Mitchell

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Cam should see some of Jalens minutes - for science.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Brooks and FVV have been so good with Sengun. I like Smith, but I see Tari and him fighting for the 4 as much as I see Tari and Brooks fighting. I like the potential Smith, Brooks, and Tari have sharing the 3 and 4 minutes regardless of who ends up starting.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

How about Green Brooks Jaba Tari Sengun

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Such Rubbish !!! How about it could be the Coaches fault !! The game is being played with a Point Guard who passes to Sengun, a selfish player
    with Green being left out in the cold. The coach needs to organize The plays of the Point Guard . GREEN IS A VERY GOOD PLAYER HE NEEDS TO BE ENCOURAGED ! y

8. TimDuncanDonaut

Our guys are starting to get banged up. Yea if FVV is unavailable, it's likely Tari filling in. Tonight: we might also see more Jalen/Sengun pairing.

On the original point, I'm good with whatever the coaches decide. For accountability, can let the existing starters start. If Green or someone else is not doing well can just yank him early. We still need lineup data (as much as possible) against good teams to eventually evaluate the extension price.

If Dillon gets into foul trouble early, Tari might be called upon first anyways.

Other thing is, Jalen still spaces the floor, which helps the FVV and Al P combo. Tari might not have that reputation yet, where defenders might cheat.

Decoy factor: While Jalen can have bad games, it's sometimes due to other team's best defender assigned. If Jalen is not there, that best defender might be assigned directly to FVV and Sengun, which hurts us.

#48 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    xaos likes this.
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Now that Brooks' 3-ball is coming back to earth his warts are showing more, just makes too many boneheaded fouls that are backbreakers. Hopefully Tari can develop a more reliable 3 point shot because I do see Jabari continuing to increase his percentage over the years. Hopefully lol.

10. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Congrats. But as I anticipated, you even described yourself as optimistic and literally not a single person in that thread predicted 44 wins. Vegas had us at 31 wins. So yea, as the cliche goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Your logic was fun ...but not too scientific.

As the season wears on and if they keep tracking to 44 wins, I'd keep bumping this thread if I were you. o_O

Corrosion and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I should have mentioned that I like Brooks with Sengun because he (and FVV) helps keep guys from dancing with Sengun by being where he needs to be. Tari is likely a better shooter (accuracy, though Brooks is better at getting it off [Tari needs to work on ability to get more off to be very effective as a floor spacer]), may be better at the point of attack defensively, and may be a better defensive playmaker off ball, but I'm not sure he's as consistent at working with Sengun to wall off guys. I really like Brooks on the court with Sengun even though I was very skeptical of that pairing when Brooks was acquired.

#51 Joe Joe, Nov 29, 2023
  12. invocux

invocux Member

When you give inferior talents bigger roles then it all goes to ****. Tari being a starter for Rockets would be our Austin Reaves- Lakers moment. Sometimes you love certain players from distance without lovebombing them because it's best for them and for you. Might as well start Holiday over FVV too because he has decent handles and can hit 3's (FVV is cold from 3pt line recently). This is a ridiculous discourse. Just appreciate him with 2nd unit.

Rocketeer likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Now, now. @DaDakota is a respected member of this board!

How could you possibly know this, seeing as how we've yet to have a starting lineup this season that didn't include him?

#53 topfive, Nov 29, 2023
  14. xaos

xaos Member

Rockets are the number 1 defense in the entire NBA and have faced really good competition in the process. Even as the "weak link" Green has been a component of that as a really good pick and roll defender (yes, really good). Green's defensive strength and weaknesses actually fits really well with Senguns defensive strengths and weaknesses when you pair the two with FVV, Brooks, Smith. The main reason to switch out Green for Tari would be for defensive purposes and with us having such a top tier defense that's silly. The missing ingredient to this team is actually what Green could become.

Green, without a doubt in my mind, has all of the tools to become a very lethal offensive scorer while having an above average passing/defensive game. You don't need to believe that, but Ime absolutely believes that. Ime is also challenging Green in ways that Green hasn't been challenged and it's paying off... defensive effort, attention to crashing the boards, playing within a winning offensive system, etc

The OP has been trying to bench or trade Green since day 1. Op even wanted to bench Green for Garrison freaking Mathews.

There very well may come a time where Green gets outplayed and moved down the priority list by Cam or Amen, but that time just isn't now. This isn't about Green's draft position or trying to teach him a lesson, but a misunderstanding from OP of what kind of player Green can become and what environment gets him there.

That being said, if Ime benches Green for a few games I'll trust Ime's judgement.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Our current starting lineup has played 248 minutes together, more than any 5 man lineup in the NBA this season. This lineup has a +11.1 net rating.
    The lineup OP is suggesting has played 9 minutes together(super small sample) on the season. It has a +1.0 net rating.

16. ExTexanNowEastCoast

It appears the stupid has become contagious.

If the Rockets do this, then they get exactly what they deserve.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

One factor is that you don't want to hurt the bench unit by taking away Tari.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Luv Tari. I love Tari off the bench for now. As long as he’s getting a ton of minutes, and as long as Bari is shooting well, I like Tari as the 6th man. Jalen is not consistent, but I don’t think benching him for Holiday makes much sense. Honestly we just have a roster issue. We need a starting-caliber guard to pair with Fred. If Jalen is still inconsistent by All Star break I think u go after an impact guard at the deadline, even if you are gonna keep Jalen.

If we have a better starting alternative On the roster, I’m all for it, but writing off Jalen after just 15 games with Ime is premature …and I’m not even a big Jalen guy.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Thanks DD. Now Green will play better

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. I wouldn't bench him either, at least not yet but giving Tari more minutes is a great idea

Aruba77 likes this.