1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USA VS SPAIN

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ElVenezolano, Aug 21, 2004.

1. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

How can Spain have 90 points... with only 3 assists?

USA by 11... with :23 to go...

2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Marbury... ----ZIPPED---- me up today...:D

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There was nothing wrong with that timeout. He called it well before the play stoppage, and the game wasn't that out of hand.

The Spanish coach is acting like total jackass. He's just frustrated because he drew the US in round 1. Life isn't fair.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with Sam ... the timeout wasn't to rub it in their face. These teams in the Olympics are throwing up threes (and making them) like crazy... Brown has to ensure that nothing crazy happens.

That Spain assistant coach though ... trying to make peace, then turning around and throwing his finger in Brown and Popovich's faces. Funny... those guys were upset no matter what. They weren't going to listen to any explanation.

BTW, Sam ... I'm guessing your Stephon Marbury-Steve Francis jokes will be quiet for a while :)

Is anyone else tired of the negativity towards the US team? In 1996 this started and in 2000 it was clear that it was a no-win situation with the world's fans. I've been disgusted with the type of play we've seen from them and the style of player they predominantly chose, but this is our country's team and I still want them to win. That ESPN poll shows the majority wants them to lose.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The timeout was about what to do at that time in the game...craziness or not.

according to Marbury: the timeout was registered with the bench well before it was allowed to be called by the refs.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Did anyone else see Gasol fall down on the ground and roll around after a call went against him??

If there ever was a team that is in the exact mold as its best player, its Spain. They flop and whine like no other team, east of Utah.

7. heypartner

ugh....meant to write the timeout wasn't about wanting a timeout at that point in the game. It was apparently called well before that time on the clock, but no stoppage occurred in time for it to happen.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I have to fight off many people on other boards that say nothing but bad things...and you ask them why they hate them so much and they dont have any comeback..I just dont get it..

9. bigsm00th

bigsm00th Member

"Marbury is just putrid out there. disgusting."

I guess this will end the Francis/Marbury debate, he's the reason the US is going to have a chance at the Gold.

STEPHON MARBURY!

10. heypartner

now I don't know what Marbury was saying that the timeout was called earlier but they had to wait for it. Pretty much each possession in the last minute had a foul called.

I guess Brown will explain it once nba.com posts the postgame quotes.

11. max14

max14 Member

Maybe because Detroit is the "world champion" and the world fans can't participate and don't have any say in it ? :)

I'm all for the best team to win. Preferrablely it's the same team that wants to win the most but that's not essential.

And Pau is pretty good. Pretty much schooled everyone guarding him. Although to be fair other than Duncan everyone is smaller than him.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

HA! One game? It was great to see him do that for the US team but it doesn't end the debate.

Now, the hate going towards the US is ridiculous, I saw that pole a few days ago and most people did want to see the US lose, why? Is it the tatoos? The money they make? The lack of "fundamentals"? Lack of shooting touch? Whatever the reason it's just wrong, they're AMERICANS, they're not getting paid to be there, they're doing their best all for a country that won't appreciate them anyway. They win, well they were supposed to win, they lose, well we expected them to lose, I'll respect those dudes more from now on, even Marbury. :)

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly how I feel. Yes, they're a bunch of rich spoiled thugs, but they're OUR rich spoiled thugs. As long as they have USA on their jerseys, I'm pulling for them.

People come down on these players (myself included) but we forget that these players chose to play for their country. Look at all the other players that turned it down. Those are the guys we should come down on.

Great game today. I set my alarm for 6am this morning just to watch this game. I don't usually get up until 7:30. How's that for sacrifice? :D

14. SamFisher

Hell yeah! He was Starbury today, no doubt! I like it when I'm wrong like that.

Hey, like all players, when he plays well and hits his 3's he can play on my team. It's the other 5 games I'm not so hot on.
    Agreed also, a lot of the flack they catch is just piling on done for the sake of piling on. THey are out there now and they are playing hard despite being, due to reasons beyond their control, international villains and having to deal with jeers and boos and the fact that everybody hates them.

#74 SamFisher, Aug 26, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  15. SamFisher

I'm glad the refs didn't bite. There were so many totally EuroJazz flops and dives in the backcourt I thought they were going to start awarding Penalty kicks and red cards and the clock was going to start counting up.

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ouch. Things between the Spainiard coach and Larry Brown just got nasty.

The Spain coach said something like, "Dean Smith would have never called a timeout like that".

OUCH!!! hit a man where it hurts :eek:

17. rady

rady Member

wow, whatever happened with all that marbury bash from few days ago ? :)
    31 points and 5 threes? :p

to all the marbury haters : SHHHHH :p :p

--

NY fan here !

18. pacertom

pacertom Member

Just wait.

Now he thinks he's "THE MAN" and will go 3-17.

19. feishen

feishen Member

That was classless. Spain was pretty much blown out. I dont like that finger pointing. Bunch of ladybugs, that's what they call them in Europe.

20. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

It's irrelevant on which "fans" participate in the NBA world championship, and I'm not sure US fans have any say in it either. Sounds like jealousy or resentment towards anything American, which includes our basketball.

Pau is a good player, but he did get REJECTED by Marion, big time. The Spaniards showed no class at the end of the game -- seems like the coach was trying to create some controversy in order to save face. I guess he got his 15 minutes.