1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I agree somewhat, but I was never sure Howard adapted well to this new system. He may have or will, but I never saw it because he was needed elsewhere to try and protect Stroud.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Johnson for sure.

Fairbairn absolutely.

Weeks, seems like a no brainer as well.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

RB: Barkley or Pollard would take this scheme to another level, but bring back Devin as well. Pierce on a rookie deal is a good thing.

G: Robert Hunt seems like a good fit, scheme wise.

TE: Bring back Schultz on a two year deal or whatever.

WR: Pittman or Evans would be nice additions.

Defense:
    I am going to go out on a limb and say almost every FA out there will want to play for DeMeco. Stroud is on a ROOKIE DEAL, so I'm sure the Texans are about to go big in FA.

Add in the draft, I can't believe this team is about to become a contender.

eliefor3, astros123, sydmill and 2 others like this.
  4. raining threes

Good thing Howard can play RT better than LG, I would guess that LG will be a competition between the Green's/Patterson/Broeker and a late rd pick. They've also gotta find a swing OT if they lose Fant.

sydmill, Qan and texans1095 like this.
  5. showa13

showa13 Member

You let Fant walk and let him get paid, move Tytus to RT, Patterson comes back at C or LG, Juice competes for C or LG, Green competes for a roster spot, and I like drafting a lineman or 2 later in the draft.

I’d throw a bag at Chris Jones, and let DeMeco pick guys for the defense in FA. Cap situation looks more than ideal leading into this offseason.

6. Qan

Qan Member

Wonder if Chiefs are crazy enough to let Jones walk. Money talks.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believe they will let him go. Considering how he wants to get paid, I might agree with them.

He had a great 8-year run there but all good things come to an end.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. raining threes

If the Chiefs dont let Jones walk who do you like in FA?

Gotta re-sign Cashman and if the money's right is Rankins plus add in the draft/fa to the defense.

Adding Hunter would make such a difference to this defense. Wilkins next to Rankins would make a huge difference too.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  9. showa13

showa13 Member

Wilkins from Miami and Maduibuike(sp?) from the Ravens would be who I’d call next. The Chiefs are going to be cap strung, idk if they’ll be able to afford Chris Jones. Hunter will at minimum come for a visit.

I’d try to sign cashman, Shultz, and singletary before FA but they’d be priority in house FA to sign.

FA should be busy none the less

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  10. raining threes

Would you rather sign Wilkins in FA, or sign Hunter and draft Sweat?

11. showa13

showa13 Member

Option 2 mainly cause I like Hunter more than Wilkins and Sweat seems like a DeMeco guy. Wouldn’t be upset at Wilkins. FA and the draft will have interior line depth

Rudyc281 and raining threes like this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

The best thing is that Chris Jones is from Houston.......

Mississippi

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

astros123 and raining threes like this.
  15. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

While I’m all for re-signing our own free agents, it’s going to come down to the cost to retain them. With close to $100 million under the cap, the Texans should be able to acquire some big pieces to help the team moving forward. Chris Jones would go a long way towards shoring up the defensive line and by extension the rest of the defense. But is he the right piece we need right now?

Schultz took a gamble on himself and it looks like it’ll pay off, so is that gonna be here or elsewhere? If he’s gonna want $15 million per year, then I don’t see him re-signing here. Quite a few guys did well thus far this season that are on one year contracts. That being said, what I don’t want to see is the Texans overpaying to retain their own players.

16. raining threes

I really hope they can bring back Cashman/Rankins and Thomas. The defense needs all of the help it can get. Hopefully they can bring back Schultz too, but if they cant then bring in Fant and draft either J.T. Sanders/Stover or JaHiem Bell. This offense needs a good TE as evidenced by Schultz play. So sign one in FA and draft one fairly early and one in the 7th rd.

Rudyc281 and astros123 like this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I agree this offense thrives with a good TE.. which is why it so nauseating to know that even everything we have wasted at that position we have nothing to show for it.. BOB, off the top of my head, Akins, Thomas, Fells… all at the same time, remember kahale warring? Pharoh brown, Ryan griffin was ok… omg and ch fiedorowitz?! Sorry I’m just thinking as I type.. Lol so many picks and time wasted and we never saw anything sniff Owen Daniels. Please, solidify that position. It would be awesome.

raining threes and astros123 like this.
  18. raining threes

They had to pick the one Iowa TE the didn't make it.

houstonstime likes this.
  19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Not FA but I would be down to trade for Kyle Pitts in the off-season. Between the cluster eff he has as a coach and under utilisation, cost will be low as ever!

Rudyc281 likes this.