1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No it’s not.

The org will be forced to make a contractual decision by October of next year, so he has this year to prove he gets it or is getting it. Otherwise you trade him to a team that will let him play a different style that he is better suited.

DD

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough. That just means your struggle is one of understanding what you are seeing when you watch the game.

An elite catch and shoot 3 point shooter with plus handles, plus athleticism, and plus playmaking would make for an amazing pure SG next to a real PG.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes it is. I agree that they will have to make a contract decision and that is pretty obvious. But it is still Year 1 for Green with Udoka. And the hope is there is a trajectory of growth that they can see.

Nook, BaselineFade, jim1961 and 2 others like this.
  4. csc177

csc177 Member

You said a whole lot of nothing in that post. You can bank and hold out hope for Jalen Green if you want, I won’t. I’ve followed him since high school into year three of the NBA, I know exactly what type of player he is.

you draft a guy #2 with hope that he’s someone you can build around - I’ll sit back and let this play out how I’m pretty sure it will. And if you have eyes, and a brain, you know how this will end as well.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think he looked like a different player because they had CP3 on him in the second half quite a bit. He absolutely can blow by CP3. He had a much harder time in the first half when it was Steph and Wiggins. There needs to be a counter-move...quickness can only do so much

subtomic and Deuce like this.
  6. Salvy

Salvy Member

Yeah but Green doesn't know how to pass the ball either...

7. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The Rockets have themselves to blame for that. Running Silas out there post all star break last year was idiotic. We might know a lot more about our young players if they had let someone else step in.

Nook, Deuce and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  8. DaDakota

OK, @Deuce let's explore that, how long do you think they have? I would love it if Green were a Rookie etc.....but a decision is coming this offseason - now granted they can kick the can down the road one more year by just paying his final year, but then he is an UFA at the end of that contract, IIRC.

So, how should the Rox handle this? You lose the ability next year to trade him and give anything other than bird rights......which lessons the value.

That, IMHO, is why this year and trade deadline is where a choice should be made, are you advocating for longer, and what would be your strategy?

Or maybe you would not extend him and let him hit RFA this offseason as a way to lock him up cheaply?

Thanks,

DD

#848 DaDakota, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He is running out of time.
    Needs to show something by years end IMO.

10. DaDakota

By the trade deadline, IMHO.

DD

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Why Jalen Green's third-year jump may take some time

Green has been the main guy on every team he has been on since his AAU days. If you think about it, Green has always been the first option, and at worst, 1B on any team he has been on. Even in his one year in the G-League, he was the primary option most nights.

This season, as mentioned earlier, Green at times is the third option on the offensive end.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2023/...s-third-year-jump-may-take-some-time-nba-2023

12. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard of any issues with Jalen Green's work ethic or being a problem off the court.

Having said that, the fact that Stone pushed for KPJ and Christopher to be tight with Jalen Green was a disaster.

His prior two seasons were under Silas and Lucas - and anytime that they got tough with Green, they were made to back off by Stone or the distraction of KPJ in games and practice figured in.

Green should have been learning accountability the last two seasons. Learning how to rotate, learning how hard it is to be a professional - and he got none of that.

Green got soft - and it really isn't his fault at 18-20 years old when he is surrounded by clowns.

Fast forward to now and Green is being pushed to do things he hasn't had to do and understand concepts he hasn't had to deal with.

I agree with you though - at some point he needs to get comfortable shooting and scoring and getting to the line......

I don't expect him to be even a Donovan Mitchell level player - but he can score 22-25 points a game efficiently - but it will take time.

13. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets don't have to make a decision right now. They don't even really have to make a decision next year - but I suspect they will know what they want to do by that point. He has to improve, but he is 21 and it is a new system, so lets wait and see.

Ancient Moabite and Deuce like this.
  14. DaDakota

He was the 6th man on his AAU team....

DD

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

problem with that is it’s a lame duck position that is unfair to whoever they chose to fill as interm. If it was Lucas and we still sucked it would only hurt Lucas’ reputation and for no reason. They didn’t want to have to extend the interm in case their record improved a bit.

a time to chill likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Not one that killed ball movement and committed stupid turnovers, which is what KPJ did.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I get everyone's disappointment. I don't understand this constant push to trade him now before he even has one year in actual system. And what kind of return does anyone hope to get? A late 1st? A Chris Duarte type of 2 guard?

I'd rather roll the dice on his development. This process will be ugly and hard to watch at times. Breaking a player all the down to build him back up is tough. But I believe it's necessary if Jalen is going to truly blossom.

I see a lot of trade Jalen posts which I respect. But who or what do we get in return that is guaranteed to upgrade the team to championship contention over the next few years? Give me some names or draft picks to think about at least.

18. Arkese

Arkese Member

poor jim got body sacked

19. Put You On Game

NBA really screwed us by not getting a #1 pick

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't understand how promoting someone on the staff to finish the season would hurt their reputation if we finished poorly. It was basically a free pass job because any short comings could be blamed on how bad SIlas was and the youth. And if they thought they had to promote someone just because the team improved we are screwed for the long term.