1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah, KPJ would definitely be our starting 2 right now. Blown opportunity that would’ve helped this team

DaDakota likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It would definitely make the team a lot better right now if they had KPJ at the 2, but that's 100% on KPJ for not acting right off the court. There's simply no excuses for that kind of unforced error.

In theory, if he misses an entire season sorting all of this out, he could return to the Rockets after that, but I think that ship has sailed.

maj21 likes this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There would def be an adjustment period for KPJ as well not having the ball in his hands as much in this offense.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about that, KPJ can actually shoot the ball....he's an elite catch and shoot guy, and he was already deferring to Jalen a lot last season....now he'd just be deferring to someone who is competent at handling the ball. That's not THAT much of an adjustment.

I think the biggest adjustment he'd have to make would be with his attitude on the court, drop the pouting BS that he pulled too often.

He was always his worst enemy.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

“The sh*t y’all getting away with over here, if you go to any other team, you’d be out the f*cking league, you wouldn’t play. I’m trying to explain to them because they think it’s sweet. If you go somewhere else, you’ll be like this mfer was right.” — Rockets legend™ John Wall

6. maj21

maj21 Member

Oh yeah, he’s done here lol

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Welcome back, King.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The issue was mainly about KPJ's performance on the court at least to me. He was just horrid as a main ball handler/PG for 2.5 years. It was so bad that they took him partially off of PG duties and gave more minutes to Nix and Green to run the offense.

Anyway not sure how good KPJ is as a pure 2, he has a lot of the same weaknesses as Green. Can't finish at the rim, or really getting to the rim without over dribbling. Settled a lot for mid ranges when he can't get by his guy. The one saving grace was that he improved his 3 point shooting. But in general the efficiency was still below average for a SG. I always thought his scoring was really inconsistent other than his 3 point shooting.

harold bingo likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nothing to do with ISO ball and taking shots has nothing to do with aggressiveness. He can take the most shots per game and it could be entirely passive, the moment Green plays aggressively is always the moment he starts to look good.

The very moment last night he started to play aggressive his shots started to actually fall. He needs to develop a mindset that no one can stop him.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

We're evaluating a young player, not a 8 year vet.

As such, you take into account inconsistency.

I don't think Green has had more bad games than good this season, people box score watch too much, for most of the games he's been fine. Some of them good and last night not so good, but just because he has a poor shooting night doesn't mean he's had a bad game.

11. Salvy

Salvy Member

Its time to send Green back to the G-League and bring up Cam, it can't possible be worst.... Cam looks like he wants it more...

12. Moahst

Moahst Member

Cam should stay in the G-League until he learns how to pass the ball.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel I have to coast the next 10 games in here.

[​IMG]

#833 daywalker02, Nov 21, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really think Jalen is struggling with his confidence. As a prospect he probably has had to make the biggest adjustment from the Silas Clownshow to the Udoka era. In the GSW game, in the first half he was thinking too much and hesitating. Slumped shoulders. In Q3 he was on attack mode and going down hill. Looked like a different player.

Jalen needs more FU to his game. More arrogance. I know he is trying to "fit in" but if he thinks of himself "as a bucket" then play that way. Look at the mindset of how Anthony Edwards plays or even Cam Thomas. There is an "arrogance" to their game.

Jalen needs to have confidence in himself and his skills and go out there and get it done.

Ancient Moabite, Bo6, Nook and 2 others like this.
  15. Arkese

Arkese Member

see this is why when a talent like harden wanna come back to the H you dont shoo him away for a chucker like JG

16. Arkese

Arkese Member

jalen green shoud be in the
    g league

17. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I think it is that and Udoka has mentioned that he predetermines what he is going to do instead of taking what the defense gives him. He's trying to learn his place in the offense and a new way of playing at the same time. Hopefully he can put it all together. The good thing is that we have a coach that is either going to force him to or he won't be playing anymore.

Nook and jim1961 like this.
  18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dude he's shooting below 40% from the field. He has not progressed from even his rookie season efficiency. He still is not a plus-level playmaker. Average free throw shooter. Average defender at best? Still can't finish at the rim efficiently. Offensively, what does he do at an above-average level? Honestly?

This is a 2nd overall pick who is about to demand a likely sizeable contract extension. You mention he's not an 8 year vet, but he's not a rookie either. At some point production levels & efficiency levels matter, whether you want to call it "box score watching" or not. Otherwise it's just being willfully blind to his performance.

blue_eyed_devil, jim1961 and DaDakota like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Well let's see if he can blossom under an actual coach in ime who is holding him accountable. If he doesn't pan out like how many folks are hoping, we can all take solace in that we have a franchise like player in sengun already.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, it may take him all year to get it down. This is Year 1 for him since the Silas years were garbage.