1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I agree with this. Actually earlier in the thread, I said that he had approved across-the-board everything. I would go back and say that I think he is struggling with his finishing. He seems to be more effective at getting to the rim BUT his finishing has been down. Imagine that it will improve. Again, you’re looking at a guy there in three years will only be 24 so the runway in front of him to improve is pretty significant.

and I can actually deal with some of the efficiency issues, as long as he continues to perform well in other aspects of the game.

I like the Murray analogy.

2. Rockets4Life13

He does get by all the time, it's just that he can't finish over anyone

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I still have a lot of hope with Green and am glad about his improvement in defense and play making. But if he doesn't fix his shooting within this season, he can kiss the franchise player label goodbye.

AroundTheWorld and PeterKingX like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That’s my point. He isn’t skilled enough.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He should be much further along after 2 years in the NBA and 1 in the Gleague.

He doesn't recognize things when he doesn't have the ball, rarely cuts, has a suspect dribble, weak left hand, and is inconsistent as a shooter.

He has improved on defense for sure, but his BBall IQ is not high.....and he lacks fundamentals needed,,,he is still a project.

If we had another option at SG, he would be on the bench a lot more often.

DD

GotGame15 and beardsanity713 like this.
  6. Svenskgun

Svenskgun Member

DD, you are a quality poster, why do people get on your nerves so often?
    Smack them losers, man, you are a legit basking shark my guy.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. DaDakota

I think I probably get on more nerves tbh...but thank you.

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100% agree. Part of JG's problem is the Rockets played a structure-less, kindergarten league type of basketball under one of the worst head coaches in NBA history. Not just that, the Rockets pathetic GM kept him on the job for 3 years! That was malpractice.

Some here who argued Silas "did his job by losing" should rethink their position. He was a Rockets tragedy with JG's lack of development as one of the consequences.

This is why I expected JG to have a difficult start under Udoka. However, his lack of skill development is the main reason I'm starting to doubt how high his ceiling is.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's not it. Sengun had the same two years in the league, the same coach in Silas. Same for Tate. It was Jalen's personal approach to be trash in his first two years: lazy, disengaged on D, not boxing out, not fighting screens. He stood out on the team as this diva-ballerina, even KPJ was playing harder. That was not on Silas, whatever you think of Silas, he wasnt the one telling Jalen, "I want you to not get back on D, not keep track of your man, get splattered on screens, etc."

10. YaosDirtyStache

Ill contend with this, SIlas basically let Jalen do whatever he wanted while simultaneously making Sengun fight for everything he got on the court. Jalen played street ball, while Sengun was forced to maximize his time on the court just to earn a few more minutes under Special Ed Silas. Jalen didnt develop because he has no one to make him, Sengun was hungry and put in work. Simple as that to me.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

It's not easy to be a complete player. He had hot shooting nights in his first two seasons, when he wasn't doing anything else on the court and when the games didn't matter. It always felt empty.

Now, when games matter and when he's giving more effort the shots don't fall as easy.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sengun won MVP as a 19 year-old in the BSL, which is one of the top leagues in Europe. IMO, he was much less likely to be messed up by Silas and the Rockets than JG.

That said, indeed JG deserves full blame for his failures. But it sure didn't help that he played for a coach/organization that refused to hold him accountable for his shortcomings. I didn't mean what I said as a blanket defense of JG.

Excuses for JG's weaknesses will become more lame as the season progresses.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

You're not really contradicting what I said. Jalen was let do what he chooses and he chose to be trash. But it's not that Silas made him.

Ime is unique in being this drill sergeant toughazz. A bit old school. Most coaches nowadays do not feel like getting into players to play hard. They'd just bench players, but Silas didn't have that option from the top...

14. kpdark

kpdark Member

15. dmoneybangbang

His overall game has looked better in the first 10 games. Time will tell what becomes of him.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Aren't you a James Harden guy? Serious question no shade

17. dmoneybangbang

Folks still don't understand what tanking is or what the organization set out to do.... crazy

Otherwise, JG was never an all around player pre NBA and it's been pretty obvious. It's been 10 games and he doesn't look bad just not any better. It's too soon to tell and folks so just be happy with how the overall team is playing.

18. NewAge

NewAge Member

Agree. I personally feel good. A bit better when we win and a bit worse when we lose.

Like, when we beat Denver and Jalen was 1-13, I had zero issues with him and chose to focus on the positives that he brought.
    When we lost and he was 5-16, I'm less happy with him...
    Being a fan knda precludes being rigorous and consistent...

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. DaDakota

Blaming SILAS while somewhat true is not the problem.

It is more the AAU crap that he grew up playing, where it is all dunks and no fundamentals - no defense - no structure - just **** basketball.

Sengun was coached fundamentals all his life and look how much smarter and better he is - Sengun is the star of that draft class.

We need guys with HIGH BBall IQ - Jalen is not it......he may get there, but I wouldn't count on it, nor would I bet on it......come trade deadline if he is not improved it is time to look at trading him while others still think he has major upside, or are just beginning their rebuild.

And BTW - Jalen could have been working on this stuff for 3 years...as a pro - so don't act like this is all everyone else's fault...he is his own company, he is responsible for getting better himself....and so far, he has improved in the margins instead of the main issue a lack of fundamentals and a lack of understanding TEAM basketball - he literally struggles off the ball as an off the ball 2 guard.

Hell the entire team does....NO ONE cuts......if Jalen would cut like Garrison Mathews did...he would be putting up superstar numbers already...and his efficiency would be through the roof but he stands there like a deer in headlights....

Very hard to watch.

DD

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While I agree that blaming Silas for not knowing how to dribble well, score efficiently, play decent defense, etc. is a bit lol, part of the reason Sengun and Tate were somewhat solid fundamentally when they got here is that they were pro players already by the time they got to the Rockets. The young guys we have basically had some AAU or a year of college and that was it. As long as you have things like "one-and-done" or "go straight to the G-League", you'll always have kids that aren't really prepared to play with men and will take time. There will always be exceptions, but ...

i3artow i3aller, Easy and NewAge like this.