1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Playing Dirty Isn't the Way to Win

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Nov 15, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perryman's dirty hit and subsequent suspension is going to really hurt this team at a time we are in playoff contention. It pisses me off that he did something so stupid and inexcusable. Not only is it dangerous, it's just plain dirty and shouldn't be tolerated.

All the what about so and so comments don't alleviate the fact that he made a dirty hit. When a player repeatedly makes dirty hits something has to be done. I'm disappointed it was our player to get slapped with the suspension, and others get away with dirty hits, but I agree that the league has to do something.

Suspension Letter Comments....

You lowered your head and delivered a forcible blow to the shoulder and then the head/neck area of the receiver. You had unobstructed path to your opponent and the illegal contact could have been avoided," NFL vice president of football operations Jon Runyan wrote in his letter to Perryman.

[​IMG]
    The Texans' Denzel Perryman was flagged for unnecessary roughness for this hit on the Bengals' Ja'Marr Chase on Sunday and received a three-game suspension from the NFL on Tuesday.Katie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports
    Runyan also noted that Perryman has six such violations in his career, including in Week 2 against the Colts, for which he received a fine for violating the same rule.

"When players violate the rules intended to protect player safety on a repeated basis, and particularly when the violations carry with them a significant risk of injury to an opposing player, it is appropriate to impose substantially greater penalties," Runyan wrote in his letter.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

draymond green would disagree strongly with that, giannis won his only ring because of a dirty cheapshot, history is littered with examples

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wait a minute, I thought the Texans' needed a few players like this that balance out the "choir boys" such as JJ Watt?

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

On a scale of 1 to Vontaze Burfict that hit was about a 4.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't agree that what he did was dirty. If you look at that snapshot in your post above Chase is in the process of sliding. His butt is still 12-18 inches from the ground. Perryman is already laid out in mid-tackle. The way it looked to me in real time and the way I see that picture, Denzel had to commit to his tackle BEFORE Chase started his slide. If Chase didn't slide (and who expects a wide receiver give themselves up in a slide? That's usually a QB move), then Perryman's hit is mostly his shoulder straight into the hip area of Chase, which would be a reasonable tackle, in my opinion. Certainly not dirty.

I'm not saying that what actually happened is not a penalty/violation based on the current rules, but I think it's unfair to Perryman to say it was dirty. I get some of these over-the-top rules protecting QBs. If QBs get hurt it really impacts the league and the watchability of games, but I think if they start extending that level of protection to all offensive players, then it's really going to hurt the game overall.

6. conquistador#11

I think it helps the team. Henry moves back to MLB.

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

Players are going to have to learn how to tackle without using the helmet. Sometimes it’s difficult and it looks like inadvertent contact. But, these are the new rules.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He led with the crown of his helmet and has done 7 more times according to the NFL. He is going to have to learn to tackle differently. The suspension of 3 games is pretty strong so maybe it gets reduced, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

9. Buck Turgidson

Unfortunately the helmet bone is connected to the shoulderpad bone, so unless you're mandating arm tackling only, or flag football, this is a thing that can't be fiixed

That said, I have no problem with habitual offenders getting suspensions

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I've always thought that youth football should teach tackling only, not hitting. There is a difference.

That said, I think Perryman got screwed because the WR slid last minute and that lined him up with Perryman's helmet when it wasn't before. The NFL conveniently ignores this fact and if they were honest about player safety they should ban/penalize non-QB give up slides. That would protect both the offensive and defensive player.

Red.Glare, jch1911 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why did he slide anyway? That's a lame move for a WR.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Very lame and the only thing I can think of is 4th qtr, 4 min left, he just giving himself up to be cautious and save time.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yeah, JuJu did the NFL a big favor.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It's totally different in real time. Reviewing a decision using slow motion or a single frame is not like using it for a boundary decision. He was in the process of making the tackle when the
    I hate the calls of the NFL used to determine who has offended. It is the gateway for prejudice.

If you make a QB untouchable, make it impossible for for him to become a runner or get up after going down regardless of contact by the defense.

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you could avoid hits by and to the head, there would be no need for helmets at all. The key is to stop using the helmet as a weapon, not inadvertent contact.