1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hoops in France, and dispelling myths.

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Kim, Aug 15, 2004.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Not sure what you are trying to imply? Maybe you're trying to expound on an earlier statement that "Fundamentals are alive and well in the USA." Could it be? Well...sure. Of the players that *choose* to learn! And there's also a lot of US coaches that are willing to teach. But that doesn't mean that in the last 10 years American born players have listened to them; or sought them out (collectively).

Too bad it takes a Lithuanian to prove this point.

At least you did admit (in a subtle/sarcastic way) that Francis is NOT fundamentally sound, even though he did go to U of M (one year).

#81 DavidS, Aug 21, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes, that was the point.

I don't think he proved much at all with regard to fundamentals, I don't know if hitting a 20 foot jumper, (especially a crazy ass off balanace one with three guys guarding you!) is a product or expression of fundamentals.

As I've said before in this and other threads, the "woe is us, the sky is falling, basketball is decaying" speech usually goes hand in hand with a denunciation of guys taking too many three pointers, and the concept of the 3 pt line in general as well as calls for its removal -- which is notably absent this time around.

I'm not sure how to judge this. I know he can't run a fast break and turns the ball over excessively at times.

#82 SamFisher, Aug 23, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  3. never

never Member

I think most of you just couldn't face the fact.
    It doesn't matter that they are 2nd tiers stars or unexperience players. they are all NBA players and they are "supposed" to be better than non NBA players, But in fact, they were not. the world is getting better and better so please don't try to make any excuese or hide yourself in a small room. Open your eyes and look how the world has been changed. :)

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Do you think that the world has gotten better enough to avoid getting beat by 40 points every game if we sent a lineup of Shaq/Duncan/McGrady/Kobe/Kidd? I don't.

5. DavidS

Sure, we have some dominant players. And Shaq/Duncan/KG/Kobe/McGrady are great individual players. And I'm sure the outcome would have been different. But, as a whole, the league has not progressed. We have subsided (skills and teamwise). While the rest of the world has gotten better (physically, skills and teamwise). That's just a fact.

The mere fact that we are even debating this (and we're losing more) should tell you something. But some of you continue to just say, "Oh, no. We're ok. We're fine. We're still the best...etc..." Denial?

And we would NOT beat those other teams by "40 points" even if we sent that lineup. That hasn't happened since 92-96. The international teams are A LOT better than they used to be (1992-96). And we're not as good as we used to be.

#85 DavidS, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  6. DavidS

Yes, it sounds like "the sky is falling" when a sports journalist only takes one problem and blows it out of proportion. Ok fine...but...

Regarding the NBA "3-point line," and "guys shooting 3 pointers when they shouldn't." Yes, these are all problems. You can't just use "jacking up 3 pointers" as the *only* problem (those "the sky is falling" journalist; they are just blowing off a little steam). One has to look at the context in which they are discussing it. It's much broader. All based on individual issues that just add up after time.

I mean, what do you think Brown is telling his players? I think it goes something like this...

Brown: "Guys, we can't just start jacking up 3-pointers and expect to win. This is NOT the NBA!"

Brown: "We have to play smarter. Three point shooting is not our strong point. We need to try and win other ways; play as a team, pass more, etc...if we get into a 3-point shooting contest with these International teams we will lose!"

So, there are a few counts against us just based on 3-point shooting alone...

1) Our current team doesn't shoot well from the outside; collectively.
    2) We aren't playing against other NBA teams that are having the same shooting problems that we are in the Olympics.
    3) Not being able to "green light" our players on the 3-point shot is a disadvantage by itself. But we can't depend on it since we shoot so bad in the first place. Catch-22.

Brown has to be very selective on when and which players can/can't talke the outside shot. Which is the best he can do given the circumstances.

Other issues...

3) We don't know collectively how to play against the zone; which is used exclusively in International play.

P.S. This is why Francis hated the zone so much. He worked best with the ball in his hands. Which is fine. But when it's at the exclusion of knowing *how* to defeat a zone (more passing). Well, he lacked that knowledge. So, did most of our team. The mere fact that he was complaining about the zone suggest that he really didn't want to give up the ball in the first place. Not really. He knew it would expose his game; as are other "ISO happy" players in the NBA.

Francis: "Sure! You can beat me with team zone! But try and beat me one-on-one! I'm da'man!"
    :rolleyes:

#86 DavidS, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I have nothing to add except I really miss the times when this type of discussion was common place in the GARM.