1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

olympic suggestion

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by cuneo77, Aug 23, 2004.

1. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

what of say the year the olympics started again,the nba can make the defending world champions go, since the other teams have been there longer and we are thrown in together, like th pistons, i like the way it is now but how would you guys feel about my suggestion?

2. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

sorry wrong forum

3. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Good suggestion in principle, but to get the whole team to want to go it would be kind of hard considering a lot of the players can not play for the USA team cause they are from different countries.

If they really wanted to take a team they should think about the National Champions of NCAA but at that point some of them have been drafted and they might not play as well....too many issues i guess.

4. daRox

daRox Member

Sorry to offend anyone but I just hate it when people refer champions in the United States as world champions...Hello? There are well over 200 other countries out there. It happens to a lot of sports like baseball, wrestling, basketball, boxing...etc. Maybe I've been to many countries and I have a different opinion compare to everyone else's.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly, your opinion is wrong, glad you recognized that...whew !!!

DD

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I heard someone on ESPN chat suggest that - Make the NBA champions go. However, it has some downfalls. Lets say for example the Lakers won the NBA Championship, then a couple of weeks later, traded Shaq or Kobe. Do you one of those players would come back and play for the lakers in the olympics? Do you think any player would come back to the team that traded them in the offseason and play for them in the olympics? How many times have we seen a team win it all, then trade off the team that took them there? Also, how many players have left a champioship caliber team? Just something to think about.

7. daRox

daRox Member

You're being serious. Thanks for your input, DaDakota

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

The Rockets would be screwed if they won and had to go into the Olympics without Yao.

9. never

never Member

That will be very interesting :p

10. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

:D Very smart response. That's another problem of the thread starter's idea. It's not gonna work if the star player of the championship team is a foreign player.

11. tksense

tksense Member

I said the exact same thing on an older thread of the same subject: thing about the tradition of the game and how everybody is doing it.. a national team is a national team, a club team is a club team. Why would you want USA team take a short cut if you believe it is already the best team in the world?

Players of other countries also has to adjust to national team play from club team plays... Blame the Americans for not taking the national team practices seriously!

or blame the 82 NBA game schedule.

another point, dont you think it's fun to watch national team bballs? u get new looks of players and u get a different view of the same players.. (see: Richard Jefferson!)

Yao is learning something important with his CNT teammates that i'm sure will benefit how he treats his future teammates!! (i mean taking responsibility and become a leader)

so..

12. daNasty

daNasty Member

Never ever going to happen. GM or owner of that certain team would not risk something that might happen to their player(s) and jeapordize the Franchise. It's all business man so it aint going to happen like it would've 10 to 20 years ago. What if you have a star player(s) on your team aren't from the US? So never ever going to happen.

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'd like to see them send some sort of combination of the NBA Champion and All-NBA first teams, to make sure that the US isn't outgunned. Definitely make sure to send the league MVP as well.

14. Toast

Toast Member

I kinda wish we'd use college players.

15. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

What if Utah won the Championship this year.

Their Starting five are from

Center--Turkey
    PF -- USA
    SF -- Russia
    SG -- Czek
    PG -- Peuto Rico

Bench
    Spain
    Virgin Island
    USA

16. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Why can't we get those people 2 month instead of 2 weeks before the game start to prepare.