1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabari Smith Jr. is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Jul 7, 2023.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have the same spirit for everyone ;)

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I believe in him and it's not about "forcing him to be a role player". But not everyone can be "the man" all the time. His supposed strengths are defense and three-point shooting. He needs to contribute that and do well, and then he can surely try some other stuff.

He has mostly been fine this season. I'm not disappointed with his performance.

3. maypk

maypk Member

No, you don't. I'm not going to bother posting your 150 trade proposals that gets Sengun out of the Rockets and the other 450 posts that heavily criticizes Sengun's bad plays here when he was 20.

So just take your L and move on.

4. Dredd

Dredd Member

Jabari for Bol Bol?

5. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Sengun for Mo Bamba
    Jabari for Bol Bol

Will finally shut up the "We're too small!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" crowd

BigShasta and Williamson like this.
  6. larsv8

Oh you are one of Sengun super fans.

Yea, that makes sense.

You guys really do have alot feelings don't you?

34to11 and Arnel like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's my point though, that's why most dynasties have a big three because they can take turns being the man and not have to carry a team every single night and get worn down.

Yeah, his main things are defense and three point shooting but in order for him to grow we have to expand his offense. We know he has a bag we just have to let him go into it. He can pull up and shoot over most players, he has a turnaround that he needs to be more confident in, he's gotten a lot better at playmaking and driving into the lane.

Just like Green and Sengun we need to make sure we are getting the most out of this player before we sell low and then give someone else a potential star player and wonder "WTF did we just do?"

The biggest mistake the Thunder did was box Harden in. They told him he was a 6th man and nothing more. They then traded him with that in mind "He's a 6th man, nothing more" and turned out they traded away one of the greatest offensive players the NBA has ever seen.

So this isn't directed at you, more at others who have already given up on him at 20 years old despite him flashing his potential almost once a week...we need to make sure we know what we are trading away. That's why I never mind young players taking crazy shots. I'm not out there getting on Amen for taking 3s nor will I this year because we need to see what we have.

OKC ruined what would have been a dynasty as they traded away a literal MVP player because they thought he was nothing but a bench guy and role guy and never imagined he could be more. With all of these top 5 draft picks on our team we need to make sure we don't make the same mistake...

Or if we do trade Jabari away (especially at this young age) we better be getting an all-star back unlike what OKC did.

Arnel, Dobbizzle and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. maypk

maypk Member

Yeah we do. Good luck throwing Sengun in your trade proposals now. ;)

9. larsv8

Thanks, looks like his value is on the rise. Better potential returns :)

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The Rockets will not trade Sengun. Ime knows what he has in him.

saleem likes this.
  11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Jabari's shot is a bit flat. Don't we have a shot doctor on staff? Fix it!

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  12. Arnel

Arnel Member

Mikal Bridges? I mean hell yea haha. No way the nets do that though I think they see him as one of their rebuilding pieces (rightfully so).

saleem and 34to11 like this.
  13. Arnel

Arnel Member

Honestly you're kind of annoying with this constant pecking order thing. I think our current coach is doing a great job of distributing the minutes and the opportunities appropriately. Whoever is helping us win will play. Only time will tell how it turns out long term, let's hope that at least 2 or 3 of the guys turn into all stars or more.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Ime is doing a great job.

And he has established the correct pecking order.

What you will not see tolerated under Ime is a 19 year old rookie shouting at the coaches to "take his ass out" in reference to another team member.

15. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Agreed. Who was "the man" on the 2004 Pistons? No one cared then or now, and that's why they were so good.

saleem and Arnel like this.
  16. Arnel

Arnel Member

Fred Van fleets response last night is a lot more mature than yours. When asked if he's "the closer" he said something to the effect of, "it will change from game to game" depending on how things are going obviously. We have a talented team. Some nights green may straight up dominate, other nights it could be sengun, some nights it could be FVV, it would also be awesome if Jabari develops that some nights he could be the one to take over..

The most important thing is that the team is developing nicely and bringing up multiple youngsters with great potential. I hope Sengun becomes the best player in the world, but I also hope the same for green and Jabari, and it's not the end of the world if some nights different players are leading the team in stats, as long as we are winning. Agreed?

saleem, fchowd0311 and Hemingway like this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't understand why we didn't keep him the first time around. I always thought highly of Jeff Green.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love Mikal Bridges - but doesn't he play the same position that we have Dillon Brooks, Tari Eason and Jae'Sean Tate playing currently? Not to mention Cam Whitmore waiting in the weeds?

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Mikal can also play the position we have Jalen Green playing...

I think Bridges is vastly superior to Smith, but we would be super small...

There aren't too many other 4s in the NBA who are young, a legit 6'11 with a nice 3pt shot.

Jabari DOES have a bag, but he isn't 1st banana here (not even 3rd) , and that is fine. Let him do what he is currently doing. Experience and comfort and confidence take time

Williamson likes this.
  20. 34to11

34to11 Member

It comes off as embarrassingly insecure doesn't it.

Arnel likes this.