1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biggest Surprises

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Nov 4, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not talking about expectations.
    By context, I meant over the sample size given.
    For example, I am SUPER HIGH on Dillon Brooks, within the context of the games he has played to this point.
    If readers want to create an expectation based on this, that is on them.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Biggest positive surprise is how crazy high and immediate the returns on investing in veterans have been. I mean of course it was going to balance us out but like, geez.

Biggest negative was hearing the home crowd cheering for ****boi Curry.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I was shocked when Brooks called out Sengun in the media instead of keeping it internal.

ThatBoyNick and Nook like this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Jalen and Jabari still not able to shoot on a regular basis. Jalen still missing Sengun on easy rolls. He still plays SIlas ball at times. Too inefficient. I was hoping he would take a leap this year.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Also didnt realize that DIllion Sengun and Fred would work so well together this early. AND Sengun shooting 40% from 3. Brooks shooting 60%.

#25 Joe Rocket, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Richie_Rich and daywalker02 like this.
  6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

A career low 40/30s shooter shooting like the greatest player in NBA history is definitely a surprise …

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The most efficient, let's not throw around all time greatness like it is common.

He is a unique player for sure, I wonder why he was picked in the 2nd round, he is like Mini Artest going to the hoop.

He is too much in love with his jumper IMHO, he could easily live in the paint.

8. invocux

invocux Member

1) Sengun's defensive leap. From 3/10 to 6/10 is incredible
    2) Tate drilling 3's.
    3) Dillon being better 3pt shooter than Curry
    4) Ime not banging someone's gf/wife so far.

cryout75, ilias, Entropy and 2 others like this.
  9. fattz

fattz Member

After watching Green over the years I didn’t think he was coachable and he is what he appeared to be. BUT last night’s game changed my prospective of him. He is not a leader but can have a positive impact within the flow of the without stopping the ball. He is able to play team basketball which I didn’t think was possible for him. Growth is a hell of a difference maker. Good job Mr. Green.

Joerex Jamisola and NewAge like this.
  10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I'm going to say pleasantly surprised by the diversity of who is showing up in each game. It feels like it's coming from all over the starters. Not that we've won many games but when we've been in it there's been someone new every time. Except Brooks, Tate, and Sengun who have seemed pretty solid throughout. Jalen has a down game then shows up. Jabari (my favorite for team MVP at the end of the year) was not looking so good but is showing up.

Interested to see the next game. It's been a while since I felt that way and it's good.

Doctor Robert likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Sure - as long as you realize the sample size.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

My big surprise is the Head Coach !
    Especially concerning Jalen Green and his poor showing so far this season.
    The Head Coach seems to be trying to transform Jalen Green into a different type of player.!
    I was expecting Green to be scoring 25 -30 points a game.
    I just hope that Green get the chance to show a big improvement this season! Y

13. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

My biggest surprise is @Yetti stopped his toxic hate for Alperen Sengun.

Even @Yetti surrendered.

jim1961 likes this.
  14. PWR

PWR Member

Pleasantly surprised:

1. Brooks is our best shooter and defender. I'm still speechless over the shooting numbers.

2. Sengun is holding his opponents to 43.5% shooting. Last year, his opponents shot 50.4% against him. Huge improvement.

3. Tate is shooting 55.6% from 3. Our shooting coach is out here working miracles.

4. Rockets are ranked 14th in three point percentage this year at 36.6%. We were dead last in the NBA last year. Give our shooting coach a raise.

5. Rockets are ranked 10th in assists per game at 26.8. We were dead last in the NBA last year.

Concerns:
    We need a backup Center.
    We rank 24th in free throw percentage.
    What's going on with not playing Cam?

Y2JT, SerialThreer, invocux and 4 others like this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

Positive
    I've been surprised that Brooks has been able to carry over his stellar play from the World Cup this summer.

Negatives
    I'm surprised this group of young players can't mount a serious fast-break attack.
    I'm surprised that Jalen Green can't make FTs.

jim1961 likes this.
  16. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

I'm surprised by how many people are now jumping on the Dillon Brooks bandwagon...he's a career 35% 3pt shooter. As soon as he cools down, everyone will start back bashing him - and yes, lock this post to remember what I said #HoustonHasBadFans

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm surprised at the complete turnaround from Game 1 to now.. It would've taken a double digit losing streak to finally get competent play in the past..

Vik likes this.
  18. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I haven’t been super impressed with Landale - I thought he was better in Phoenix. He has been an underwhelming singing so far.

Brooks has obviously exceeded expectations so far. I know the shooting numbers will fall but I think more encouragingly he seems to be taking shots within the flow of the offense - there have been very few times I wish he had passed to another player aside from a few fast breaks I thought he was a little cavalier on but I also like that he was playing aggressively on the break.

…the bench unit scoring has been a problem but Amen and Tari should help a bit there at least turning defense into transition offense.

I think the biggest surprise for me is how everyone is sharing and making the extra passes. I can almost see a world where Jalen or Jabari or Amen or Sengun don’t have to be “all world” to make this team competitive if they all play to their strengths and create opportunities for others. It’s been a while since we have seen a team like this - but maybe their destiny is a dynasty version of those old Pistons teams with Chauncey, Ben Wallace, Rip, Sheed, Tayshaun, and Okur. None would ever be MVP, and there were few consistent all stars there, but they played stingy defense, played as a team, and individual players stepped up when needed. It kind of feels like this is a younger, more athletic updater version of that team….maybe not too but there is something there with these guys for the first time in a long while.

19. PeppermintCandy

Definitely Dillon Brooks. I expected a positive impact from him but he's exceeding my expectations. The guy's playing winning b-ball and you can tell it's rubbing off on the younger players.

Also, the numbers don't really back this up yet, but I feel that Sengun's committing fewer unnecessary fouls. I think this is due to a change in coverage schemes, which has been pointed out many times already, but also individual improvement. But staying out of foul trouble will be help the team immensely in late-game situations.

On the other hand, I'm also surprised Whitmore's not getting any playing time. I understand the reason, but still, I thought Udoka would try to get him a few minutes of court-time a game. He'll definitely get his opportunity at some point, though.

20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Sure...
    • Manic episodes are usually accompanied by depression... so if you like that.
    • Everyone else will get annoyed at your overreactions to each game, which would probably also be wrong.
    • Typically being super high and super low is a result of not recognizing the context, so that's kind of a contradiction.

xaos and Ancient Moabite like this.