1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a bad player.... that's just how it is, he harms the team less when he isn't allowed to chuck 20 shots though.

His defense last night was very solid though which is a good sign... but he was awful on offense overall.

He's simply not a starting caliber player, but if you surround one weak player with other players who are better, it's less of an issue.

I really don't get why his fans feel like they have to keep pretending he played well when it's objectively false.... but I guess they should try to keep up the delusion as long as they can.

GotGame15 and Dredd like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You watched the game particularly the 4th right?

Jalen last season also was in the 90th percentile in team on/off scoring efficiency impact.

Look at a lot of the plays Brooks or Jabari score and see how something like an off ball Iverson cut from Green helped provide driving lanes or a clean shot for guys like Brooks and Jabari.

And that is before the 4th quarter where Ime decided to repeatedly give the ball to Jalen to close the game akin to how they repeatedly have it to Sengun in previous games this season during closing stretch.

I think Ime honestly is trying to get all the young core guys reps in closing our games as a focal point.

Ime will probably try to do the same for Jabari next game to see how he handles being that focal point for closing stretches of the game. Green passed the test though like Sengun.

O-dawg, i3artow i3aller and Hemingway like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like your post, but I think Ime is just reacting to the situation, not intentionally trying to get different guys experience closing out. He is trying to win and that means making adjustments to the situation. That is one of the reasons he is a much better coach than Silas.

4. fchowd0311

Definitely an argument for that. The night we spammed Sengun closing out the Spurs was when Collins had 5 fouls.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He had a relatively quality 4th quarter indeed. Not disagreeing with that. I just take issue saying that the guy we drafted to be one of the leagues best scorers is showing some sort of incredible jump while still shooting below 40%

6. fchowd0311

I think he's simply being accustomed to not having the ball in his hands all the time. You can tell with things like random atrocious ft shooting.nigjrs which shows a fluctuation in confidence. He's missed a lot of bunnies at the rim also. Another sign of fluctuating confidence adjusting to new roles. It's a difficult transition and during that transition he has been a overall net positive on this team

I'm okay with his current scoring production for now as long as it's just a mere aspect of transitioning in learning new aspects of a NBA offense.
    Trust me if he's scoring like this still by the end of this season I'm going to accept many trade offers for him.

J Sizzle likes this.
  7. beardsanity713

Not gonna lie I was expecting Jalen to come out the gate blazing avg like 24-25ppg.
    After his summer workouts with NBA all stars & Team USA experience I had high hopes for JG coming into the season.
    I know its early but hoping to see one of those huge scoring explosions soon.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I haven’t really seen anybody saying he has made an incredible jump. I think we are seeing improvement in court vision, effort, and understanding team defense. Yes, he was drafted thinking he would be an all-world scorer, and, still could become that, but baby steps are alright considering his lack of experience coming into the league and with the worst coach in NBA history. He may never live up to the hype, but I don’t think Cade or Mobley will either. Hopefully, he will grow into an all-star level player at some point and, hopefully, with the Rockets.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The All world scorer comes with Silas giving him green light and 34 minutes per game and starters while the team was losing epically.

Put him on any tight defensive or winning teams, he would score far less.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Definitely disappointed also overall that we didn't see this immediate jump. But we always expect the best case scenario before the season starts. Color me "severely concerned" if this is still the level of his offensive production a quarter into the season. By mid season I'd be considering trade offers if they are really good. By end of season if this is still his production I'd accept almost any trade offer.

11. fchowd0311

I think confidence issues is Green's main issue now due to changing of roles. This is seen with his ft fluctuations and missing bunnies. Both signs of confidence issues.

But this is why I think Ime is such a great coach. He saw the confidence issues also and decided to help alleviate that by trusting Green to close the game last night even after a rather non existent night on offense. Green successfully doing it might solve the confidence issue. We just have to wait and see.

12. beardsanity713

Agreed his whole appeal is that he is a dynamic scorer. I like that his facilitating has improved since his rookie year. To be honest Jalen doesn't have a bag of scoring tricks yet or a go to move or counters. Seems he is headed toward the Lavine trajectory more than Brad Beal or Booker who were just pure scorers with a lil less athleticism

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I was impressed last night with Green despite his offensive output because he was poised and made the right decision. Mike Brown had tbe strategy to pressure Green in the perimeter and Green beat the pressure and double teams everytime. He wouldn’t have done that last season. It would’ve been turnovers in the backcourt for easy score. Check the 4th and Mike brown was furiously instructing his team to go after Green when he had the ball above the perimter. They were forcing him away from the action but he made all the right decisions and made them pay. This was Greens best game of the season imo. It showed growth

Bo6, O-dawg, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  14. fchowd0311

Also showed how opposing coaches fear Green"s natural traits of breaking down down perimeter defenses to where even in nights where he is a almost non factor on offense the moment there is a concerted effort to give the ball to Green to initiate they immediately want to double and force the ball out of his hands.

mac_got_this likes this.
  15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I scanned a kings board and one of the posters said why are they wasting double teams on Green. He hasn’t been that effective on offense and acoul fk other poster scolded him and said you can’t let’s Green get going. And that if they let Green get the path to the basket that they’re letting Holdiay and FVF get, that Green ain’t going to blow those layups. Dude said it felt like FVF and Holiday have missed pretty much every basket at the rim all night and he don’t believe that would be the case. green because he plays more explosively above the rim.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

‘fluctuating confidence" is what makes a player great, MJ and Kobe had it, Jalen is following in their footsteps….

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

I have zero problems with Jalen Green after a win. You gotta give him credit for trying to fit-in in the secondary role and in the team-ball concept, and he is quite successful. Makes very good decisions and moves well off-ball this season.

Like I said before, this is the needed transition from Trash&Flash to Mediocre&Useful… Good-or-Great may or may not follow. But he’s not gonna go from Trash to Great overnight. This mediocre phase is an improvement, and most importantly we are undefeated in our last two games!

fattz likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jalen needs more time to adapt to the radical changes on offense. Give him ~20-30 more games. Purging him of 2 years of Silas and KPJ ain't easy. Udoka's ways do not come natural to him, yet.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the biggest concern thus far is that Jalen appears to be getting worse rather than better overall even if there are a few areas of marginal improvement that don't really move the needle.

Take shooting for example

Sample size is obviously an issue for this season, but he's gone from a TS% of 54.7% his rookie year to 53.8% his sophomore season to 49.2% thus far this season

Shooting 3's he's gone from 34.3% to 33.8% to 31.8%

Those are the exact opposite of progress.

His WS/48 have gone from 0.015 to 0.034 to -0.042 this season.

Again, I know the sample thus far is only 5 games, but what we've seen is a REALLY bad player. 20 games would make what I'd call a significant sample, so he still has time to make this look like a fluke awful start, but the trajectory right now is REALLY bad.

There's a lot of players who were declared busts that were showing a lot more promise to start their 3rd season than Jalen has thus far.

GotGame15 and J.R. like this.
  20. NewAge

NewAge Member

This was expected. It is very often when you transition from trash situation to a serious situation, a player individual numbers would take a hit.