1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

286 vote(s)
    85.6%
  2. no

48 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. Entropy

Entropy Member

Whitmore looks like a beast in the few glimpses we've seen of him so far. If Udoka is unwilling to give him bench minutes with Amen out, I wonder if there's some behind the scenes behavior issues going on.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It could be the fact he's not exactly pass-happy. Or maybe he couldn't shoot the ball worth crap in the pre-season. If you can't do either, you're probably going to have to develop something like ferocious defense or something. I can't remember, but I thought his defense looked "ok" in the pre-season.

I'm a bit selfish and want him to play just to see a highlight here and there, but apparently Ime wants people out there that play more team ball, I guess. Ime probably feels more secure putting a guy like Holiday out there who's a vet that kind of knows what's going on and can spell FVV if needed. He's also given more minutes to a vet like Tate.

Kevooooo likes this.
  3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I mean he's been like a robot the games he played, whenever he gets the ball it gets launched no matter what situation

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You can see Sengun/Jabari/Green/Amen/Tari have a lot of growing up to do still. When you're also trying to aim for the playoffs, it's really tough to have too many young players in the rotation. I'm actually so glad we have the luxury to play Amen limited minutes off the bench so that we can develop him properly. You can see clearly in our young guys that we haven't taught them the fundamentals of winning basketball. Amen is going to have an ideal development environment with a good coach and plenty of important minutes off the bench.

In practice alone Whitmore must be learning more basketball than he's ever learned in his life. He's also going to have an almost ideal situation when it comes to development. I think with the more experienced players we can throw them out there and expect them to grasp concepts slowly until in becomes instinctual running the offense/defense. With Whitmore I think more likely we have to ensure in practice that he has our offense/defense memorized, understands when to pass/shoot and develops a little euro step to avoid direct contact on drives. We can give him some run in the G League to get repetition on the concepts, then slowly give him minutes on the Rockets very gradually till he has a chance to compete for minutes in the second half of the season.

The way we were throwing players to the fire was flat out wrong. Jalen should have played was fewer minutes and taken way fewer shots (should have been more like a highschooler like Kobe started their career). He was not ready to be treated as the primary scorer at all - he would have benefitted tremendously from being in Amen/Whitmore's situation where you take your time to teach them winning fundamentals.

This is a good thing and I don't think we need to be impatient with one of the youngest players in the entire NBA. For sure you don't have to be in a rush for one of the youngest players in the entire NBA.

kpdark, clos4life and Hemingway like this.
  5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Cam Whitmore needs to win minutes over JaeSean Tate and Jeff Green.

Ime Udoka is starting to act like Dusty Baker playing Quarterback Martin Maldonado over Catcher Yainer Diaz who shouldve made the All Star Team and Rookie of the Year, Silver Slugger, Gold Glove.

cmoak1982 and BigShasta like this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Terrible comparison.

i3artow i3aller and coachbadlee like this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Act like Dusty Baker, instead of Giving Youngsters a Chance

Dredd likes this.
  8. j@amc

j@amc Member

Cam needs to do everything right as a pro: learn the game plans, practice hard, work out, be ready, and avoid stupid decisions. The playing time will come.

Just get in the gym and keep making jumpers. Nothing fancy, just hard work.

But one untrustworthy decision as a rookie on a more veteran team and your back a square zero.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

CW looked so good in preseason and SL, it really is bizarre that only equates to garbage time. There must be some other factor involved behind the scenes we are unaware of. Via gameplay he clearly earned regular season minutes.

bballjunkie likes this.
  10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

REMEMBER:- Cam was the MVP of the Summer league
    The coach need to give him playing time ( as well as Williams)

AlperenSengun and robbie380 like this.
  11. Dredd

Dredd Member

Cam Whitmore is our Diaz

who’s Maldonado?

12. kpdark

kpdark Member

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dude has more ink than a Sharpie factory.

kpdark likes this.
  14. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Bullock.

Dredd likes this.
  15. Dredd

Dredd Member

ouch. Haha

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It makes sense to have someone ready because the record is not good......

17. kpdark

kpdark Member

#477 kpdark, Nov 6, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2023
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Congrats on that first bucket.

keep playing defense bruv

kpdark likes this.
  19. Millennium_Fan

I hate his body language without the ball. The kid can score though