1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green is the Rockets' Franchise Player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Aug 10, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t want to overreact
    But I hope Stone has Morey on speed dial

we know Harden wants to go home

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Might be Franchise thinnest player.....in the Top 10.

tinman likes this.
  3. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen doesn’t have the IQ to recognize the weak spots in the defense, so he’s almost always taking contested shots at the rim (if he gets there at all).

He also doesn’t have the frame or muscle mass to absorb contact, so that makes it even harder to finish.

Finally, he lacks the elite IQ and passing skills that undersized guards use to become superstars.

With all of this, I’m having a hard time imagining Jalen becoming a guy you can rely on to win games. He’s either going to get 20 on too many shots (most of last season) or he’s not going to score much at all (tonight).

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Remember, he's only 19 years old.

GotGame15, tinman, James.B.H and 3 others like this.
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The first point is the most important. No matter how athletic you are as a guard, you can't take on the whole defense. After 2 full years in the league Jalen still can't read the defense in anyway. What he does is literally trying to copy and paste drills he did in the off season in an NBA game without having to put any thought of his surroundings.

Crashlanded19 and BigShasta like this.
  6. YaosDirtyStache

This is exactly why I HATED Silas, The first 2 years are not some game to play letting these guys horse around, its when you instill some good habits and break bad ones. Now Jalen is in his 3rd year, full of knots another coach should have untangled already but instead theyre like a rastafarians matted dreads.

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Oh I see what you did there....

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's not all Silas fault. Some of these are natural. Stars figure out the game no matter the coaching, some just never get it no matter who coaches.

9. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Jalen has to get it together, I wanna see how he responds

10. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

I am willing to eat crow and I admit that I was heavily rooting for him during his first 2 years. His level of play so far is probably the biggest letdown for me this early season. I just don't see any big improvements and a winner mentality outside his interviews

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. He's 6'5/6'6 with a 6'7 wingspan. Play off ball, move around screens and be a really amazing 3 pt shooter like Curry to help open up his game. He's not the next Kobe Bryant or Jordan. Maybe the next Curry or Ray Allen if he accepts he is built the way he is built. Some of us would love to be p*rn Stars but unless we're built like Johnny Sins or Jason Luv it isn't happening.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Is it really? Lots of lottery picks start out on terrible teams then get good. I suppose you can argue offensive virtuosos like Steph Curry and Luka Doncic moved along their trajectory due to their brilliant young assistant coach. .I can't remember his name at the moment.

But, i would argue otherwise - that it's ultimately on the player to assemble his tools and process the information rather than anybody else, and that elite players don't really need elite coaches to make them elite, rather they make the coaches seem elite.

Corrosion and DaDakota like this.
  13. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Yes please

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is an interesting thought, and seems right on the money - some take a bit of time to become elite - but usually you can see it in them pretty early on.

DD

15. Salvy

Salvy Member

Send them Green and Amen for Harden.....

16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I still stand by the stance that the kpj pg experiment with silas coaching delayed his development. Green haters like to downplay it, but having a sht coach and a bad pg will hinder any player learning to adapt to the nba.

The good thing is Jalen green is still young so the jury is still out if he can become the franchise player.

17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Hell no. If you'd take Harden back, a spoiled brat & quitter everywhere he's gone, you're mentally ill

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I wonder if @Clutch still thinks this?

19. WestendMassive

What would Jalen Green's trade value be? Would you try to trade him to a rebuilding team for a top 10 pick? Is he even worth that? If you want players back, what sort of player would you get in return?

Unfortunately for the Rockets, Stone is backed into a corner here. He either admits he made a mistake in drafting Jalen and trades him for scraps or he holds onto him in the hope that one day he becomes a player that can contribute to winning basketball games. I hope I'm wrong and I'm just overreacting over a really piss poor performance in the first game of year 3, but his first two seasons don't really fill me with a lot of confidence.

Corrosion and Sengoat28 like this.
  20. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Knowing Stone, he'll dump Jalen alongside at least two FRPs.

subtomic likes this.