1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, did Abreu hit Garcia on purpose?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Oct 21, 2023.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Very true. We live in a world where people lie solely for the need of being right.

I think the umps and the league overreacted.

#121 Houstunna, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
    Rvo384 likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Yeah, so now there had better be the exact same treatment if the Rangers come out headhunting tomorrow. What a precedent they set.

4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

No, and the poster who responded proved it.

Intent is my argument and stupidity was his.

Both can be true at the same time, but he only talked stupidity.

Rvo384 likes this.
  5. AkeemTheDreem86

Neither repeating your baseless claim, nor succeeding it with absolutely false, hyperbolic bologna like "100%, without a doubt", make it true.

While you certainly have a right and even a reason to have that opinion, I hope you understand that it is just that - an opinion - and not a "100%, without a doubt" fact.

Still, if you don't, here's the irrifutable evidence:

I disagree.

No one will ever know, and there can be arguments made on both sides. It's a lot more fun to make cases and share opinions than it is to make declarations of right and wrong backed up only by juvenile rhetoric.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would start Blanco and hit them with the very first pitch tomorrow to send a message to the MLB

absolutely ludicrous

there is no “both siding” this. That’s almost always a bs argument

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

This is what I'm saying about being dishonest just to be right.

Screenshot_20231021-203504_Chrome.jpg

You had zero problem "liking" a post that used "juvenile rhetoric" based on someone's opinion that can't be proven.

And I'm not speaking negatively to any posters involved. We're all cheering for our team. We're biased.

marks0223 and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  8. AkeemTheDreem86

That's totally fair. I agree with him, but not that one would need to lack brain cells to disagree. Good call.

Houstunna likes this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Biggio was technically part of the organization on Sept. 1... just saying.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

So if it was intentional @Houstunna, you're saying that certain Astros players got so butt hurt about Garcia that they felt they had to do this for what, the pride of the team? Retaliation outweighed any negatives that could happen as a result? If Garcia had gestured or mouthed off to JV, Maldy, or the Astros dugout as he rounded the bases then I could see a case where Abreu was standing up for his team. Nothing Garcia did was directed to the Astros. Pimped out HR celebrations aren't frowned on like before. Yordan has had epic bat flips while screaming at his own dugout many times. The Astros don't get butt hurt over postseason celebrations...they've had plenty themselves.

11. Houstunna

Supporting Member

There's history of butt hurt.

Garcia gets hit on the first pitch of his very next AB yesterday after an extreme showboat.

That's EXTREMELY suspect.

12. marks0223

Supporting Member

That's not the postseason and in these games players were making gestures at the opposing team.

13. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

So can this 2 game suspension of Abreu be punted to 2024 or not? There seems to be two different opinions. Which is true and which is not true?

14. marks0223

Supporting Member

Apparently the new CBA has an expedited postseason process doesn't push the suspension into the next season.

15. Elienator

Elienator Member

There is a non zero chance it was intentional. I’d put it in to 40-50% range.

If it was intentional, it was dumb but players do dumb things sometimes (Altuve’s bunt for example). I don’t think Dusty had anything to do with it, but I wouldn’t put it past Maldy. He had a history with the Rangers this season and Dusty said earlier this season about Maldy “He’s a God-fearing man that’s also borderline gangster.”

The suspension is garbage. The Astros had significantly worse pitches thrown at them and because they didn’t start a brawl no one was ejected. It sends a signal that teams should escalate things after being hit. I’m guessing part of it is the Rangers complaining about the delay and Dusty not leaving the dugout. If they are going to suspend Abreu, then Garcia should get a game for shoving an ump and causing the benches to clear.

napalm06 and Houstunna like this.
  16. 9baller

9baller Member

On that pitch Maldy was set up outside, but Abreu said that he was pitching Garcia inside. Doesn't add up.. I'm starting to think it was intentional.

Plowman and Houstunna like this.
  17. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

There’s a bunch fans of the Dodgers and Yankees on r/baseball right now saying the suspension is ridiculous. Hell there’s even Rangers fans saying the same. It’s pretty much a consensus agreement among everyone it’s ridiculous.

Edit: Just checked the Rangers Reddit and the few comments on the thread about this pretty much all say how they even think it’s stupid.

#137 Htown Stros, Oct 21, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2023
  18. Yordan The Great

You can tell when it's intentional, the ball doesn't "tail away" into the body of the player.

It's all ridiculous.

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

20. Buck Turgidson