1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Toyota Center will be renovated for roughly 30 mill

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Oct 6, 2023.

1. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

I wonder if they'll ever redo the exterior?

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Toyota Center will be roughly renovated for 30 million

Jayzers_100 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nicely done! Thanks for saving me the trouble. :D

J.R. likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

Looks like Tilyman took some of those debt notes/credit he put down on that NFL bid and put it back into his actual hobby venture that he currently controls

kdchilds likes this.
  5. Salvy

Salvy Member

Love the idea of more lighting, now we will be able to more clearly see how much Sengun has grown and how he compares to the other 7 footers in the league...

6. Nook

Nook Member

The Toyota Center has never been very good.... and at this point it is in the bottom 1/3 of arenas now that it is about 20 years old.

The TC was built for only like $200 million.... the Mavs paid over twice that for their arena.

Not a big deal because 75% of NBA arenas are really mediocre.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Toyota Center lives up to it's name.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Very generic outside design also. Just a ugly looking building.

Nook and Entropy like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

As a kid, when we drove down 59, you could easily miss the plain Summit if you didn't know where to look.

10. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

it's a cheap arena and it shows. houston deserved better. at least with NRG stadium, even though it was built with a 90s style as stadiums opening just 2-3 years after it looked more modern (like Arizona's stadium), at least you can tell they put some money into that thing

plain is often better. the summit almost looked like any other office building

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

ToyCen does look dated, it looks ripe for Lakewood Church to use as their next HQ.

12. Moahst

Moahst Member

Until they figure out how to get the fans in the top bowl that show up into the empty seats in the lower bowl, this arena is hopeless.

13. fchowd0311

I still think Summit has a cleaner design that is more pleasing. More glass and simplicity probably is why i like it more. I think Toyotas center was a downgrade especially when it comes to location. So much easier to get to the arena and park( I was a little kid but I remember how simple it was) than Toyota Center. Houston's best spots aren't in downtown. They are in the Galleria area and midtown area (essentially all the areas surrounding Westheimer) and I think the Summit is just located in a better place overall.

The area around Toyota Center just feels dead.

Toyata Center's location was an attempt to make downtown into something worthwhile. Stop making downtown Houston into something. It never is going to happen. We ain't Boston.

Entropy likes this.
  14. Entropy

Entropy Member

To this day I can't think of any positives about the Toyota Center, whether exterior, interior, or it's location. I'm not there to go and chill out at whatever stores or restaurants are around there, I'm there to see the game and then go home.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Folks, clearly the sentiment here is for the city of Houston and Harris County to finance a new stadium and hand Tilman the keys.

We need civic leadership and higher sales tax to ensure Houston remains a major league town.

Invisible Fan, BMoney and Nook like this.
  16. fchowd0311

That's what made the Summit location so much better. Not was it only a significantly easier location to travel to and go back home from it also was a location that has better restaurants and stores. The best stores and restaurants in Houston is in the uptown area and midtown area and then Downton becomes a ghost town.

Entropy likes this.
  17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Bring back John Paul Stevenson for god's sake

Nook likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

lol

$30 million in renovations

The Summit is better
    Not good enough for NHL
    Concerts bad
    No trash cans
    Cheap, Generic, Dated

Y'all got something to say about everything. Clutchfans isn't a replacement for therapy.

Nook and kdchilds like this.
  19. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

People in here really think Greenway Plaza is a better location for a arena than downtown. Lol I guess everybody's taking a blind eye of what's going on in that part of downtown the last few years Discovery Green all the new high-rise towers office and residential.

20. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

Lol facts. It's typical shortsighted Houston thinking though. If they renovate both the exterior and interior of TC that thing will be better than the Summit could ever be. It's literally a block from Discovery Green and in 10 years that area will be one of the most active areas of the entire city.

It's in the absolute right place, it's just a very generic, dated stadium right now. This $30 million is a start. Let's see what happens in 2-3 years before we write it off.

Scarface281, Astrodome and kdchilds like this.