1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dusty hates Chas

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Jun 23, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The only thing you can count on in baseball are surprises. Some pleasant, but most unpleasant.

Nook likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hate, favoritism for others, inability to accurately assess talent...I don't really care about the semantics or the cause of the bias*. Chas McCormick has outperformed all the other OFs besides Tucker and Alvarez beyond a reasonable doubt that there is a bias (whether it is nefarious or not) that has caused Dusty to make incorrect choices often in regards to Chas.

*Provided it isn't something like hitting a woman or a child.

3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a couple of questions for someone whose opinion I respect more than my own (very rare). It there a way to bring back Yuli in a FO position for PR? Can the prep and skills Maldonado brings to his catching be transferred to a coaching or off field position?

Stephen66 and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

You haven't? There have been a number of posters that have claimed that Julks played because he looked like Dusty Baker, or that Dubon played because Baker has known him for 15 years.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have offered Maldonado positions in the front office and coaching ranks. So yes, the Astros believe he can be a successful coach or decision maker.

As for Gurriel, he is very well thought of in the Astros front office and clubhouse. I just don't know if Gurriel wants to coach or not. I think he would be an exceptional hitting coach.

IBTL, Stephen66, marks0223 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

This is fair criticism - and one I largely agree with.

However truely believing that Baker "hates" McCormick is an entirely different accusation.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You could argue that Maldy's glove is not good enough compared to Yainer this year... but yet... he starts >80% of games.

This Chas/Dusty vibe just has the same feeling as the Luke Scott/Phil Garner dynamic... a lot of interesting quotes in the media matched with use in the field.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I’ve definitely heard the Dubon thing but never the Dusty thing about julks. I would think that would cause tempers to flare in here.

#168 Tomstro, Sep 7, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    Stephen66 likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Thank you. I'm a huge proponent of retaining institutional knowledge in non traditional ways.

AkeemTheDreem86, Kim and Nook like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

like he said, semantics. Obviously hate is a bit strong. Its like when people say Dusty and Maldy are ****ing. Its just talk. I do think he has something against Chas though. I think that is undeniable at this point.

#170 Tomstro, Sep 7, 2023
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Everyone knows why Maldonado is playing - he has been the catcher of the staff for years, he is the choice of most of the rotation and the closer.... he is the leader of the team. Baker isn't going to change that during the season. He said the same thing last year when the Astros tried to get Contreras.

The only way Diaz starts half or more of the games at catcher is if there is an injury to Maldonado or the front office and owner forces Diaz to start - which they will be very careful about, because they do not want to cause clubhouse issues.

Diaz will get his chance next year.

13 in 33, Snake Diggit and noppeper like this.
  12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Not sure I agree about Gurriel being a great hitting coach. Kinda for the same reasons I couldn’t see Altuve being that. Those dudes are free swinging, bad ball hitters. Hitting coaches are usually all about fundamentals. Gurriel is a bit unorthodox. Of course, maybe he would still be great. Just my 2 cents.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Maybe I do care about the sematics a little.

Hate is thrown around a lot in sports as a hyperbole when it is more dislike for a person's skill level, opinions. I think in the generic sports sense(i.e., not true hate), Dusty easily has crossed into hater territory. Though, one of the definitions for hate (without hyperbole, true hate) is hostile actions motivated by intense dislike or prejudice. I would consider not playing a player as much as he should such that it will likely cause financial harm in arbitration due to an opinion that is not based on reason to meet that definition.

The more time goes on, I have a hard time believing Chas's limp arm or weight is the reason he gets benched as much as he does. Personally, I think Dusty likes some players and doesn't like others, and I don't know why. Playing favorites is hateful to those that aren't favorites.

#173 Joe Joe, Sep 7, 2023
    Snake Diggit, IBTL, Stephen66 and 4 others like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Diaz and Chas situations are completely different.

With Diaz, you have a young, inexperienced supremely gifted defensive and hitting catcher while there is a beloved veteran in the same position.

Catching requires communication, knowledge, preparation, psychology, and conformity w/ pitcher above physical attributes as the priority in the Astros organization.

Because of this, starting Maldy is a legitimate choice. Most of us think it's wrong, but at least there are genuine reasons for Maldy starting over Diaz.

I hate it but can accept it.

As for Chas, not only does he not have a beloved veteran that provides attributes he doesn't, but his competition is actually less experienced and less accomplished.

He has outperformed all of the other options for his playing time and also exemplifies all of the reasons Dusty gives for not playing him more than any of them do.

There is simply no legitimate reason for the choices Dusty makes. None.

Because there is no legitimate reason, fans reach for something. That's how Julks race or Dubon's relationship w/ Dusty's son get called out.

I personally don't think Dusty is racist but to many its as good a reason as any because there isn't another one people can think of.

I think Dusty is an old school guy who is set in his ways and can be a bit petty, stubborn, and tough to change his opinion.

It was reported that Chas did not have the best attitude about being sent down the middle of last year. By all accounts he realized it, apologized and has been great since, but it's tough to change Dusty's mind.

Meyers was forced on him by a GM that was more rival than advocate or team mate.

Dubon is a smiling young guy that knows Dusty's son and has no negativity in Dusty's mind.

Julks, was a hustling, hungry all out energettic, maximize every bit of ability and opportunity type that was easy to like.

I'm sure Dusty has a very high opinion of all of his players and thinks they can all get the job done, so those attributes are the tiebreaker in his mind.

IBTL, noppeper, Htown Stros and 2 others like this.
  15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

if anyone out of this rosters i'd want to be hitting coaches, it will be Brantley and Bregman.

IBTL, noppeper and Tomstro like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I agree!

17. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Dusty is bitter Chas was able to play himself out of the minors and break into the majors exceeding all expectations as a player drafted very late in the draft while his own son Darren hasn't been able to do **** under similar circumstances.

IBTL and Stephen66 like this.
  18. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Does anyone think if Yainer had played a higher % games, he would have a chance at being Rookie of the Year? Dusty could be causing him some money.

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think there is no doubt about that.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's bizarre how often Dusty is using Dubon in the outfield immediately after Brantley was just added to an already crowded outfield. He jumped on the opportunity quick to squeeze Chas and it's blatantly obvious. Pinch hitting him for Singleton so he couldn't be a hero and then telling the media Chas isn't a big boy like Bregman, Altuve, Tuck is an extra kick in the nuts. For a "player's manager" he can be outright rude and disrespectful to players not in his favor.