1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rocks & Jazz Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 26, 2001.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You really think so? You whole post there is homey exaggeration and enthusiasm, imo.

Even still, how can you not say that Moochie is our 6th man?

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Just to throw my $.02 in since i saw the game.... It was hard to judge how the 2 draft picks project as future Rockets because the guard play was so awful. Colson and Sneed seemed so focused on making an impression that they forgot their job is to set up shots for the other players. Maybe that's why Morris looked so bad, he is supposed to be able to shoot right? Griffin does show lots of potential but he is only 19 and needs a lot of maturity before he can hang with 250+lbs. NBA PF's. I didn't see any help at the C. However, Langhi looks like the real deal; athletic,active and a sweet stroke.

------------------
    The Muffin Man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the
    Utility Muffin Research Kitchen... Reaching for an oversized chrome
    spoon he gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants and
    brushing his scapular aside procceds to dump these inside of his
    shirt...
    He turns to us and speaks:

"SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES BETTER. I FOR ONE CARE LESS FOR THEM!"

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing anointment utensil He poots forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design.
    Later he says:

"SOME PEOPLE... SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES EXCLUSIVELT, WHILE I
    MYSELF SAY THERE IS NAUGHT NOR OUGHT THERE BE NOTHING SO EXALTED ON
    THE FACE OF GOD'S GREY EARTH AS THAT PRINCE OF FOODS... THE MUFFIN!"

3. heypartner

Gene,

no offense, but <a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb-cgi/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getannounce&ForumNumber=3&Start=2452117.99&End=2452122&Session=2452117.21">lose the long signature please</a>

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

crispee-
    Oops, how can I forget about Mooch?

You didn't like what you saw from Langhi? He looks like he got a little stronger (not too hard to do from last year), and showed his touch.

Probably not the 1st guy off the bench in all situations, but if a big guy gets tired/foul trouble, either he or Kenny Thomas if we still have him, will be the one to get the call, wouldn't you think?

It would've been better said he'll get more significant minutes this year off the bench.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Axel Dench really needs to work on his one-footer.

6. tozai

tozai Member

axel dench really need to work on everything

------------------
    I've got long signature envy

7. heypartner

I was disappointed in Langhi's decision-making on driving. He is forcing it, and he is forcing it all the way to the hole. The guy's going to get injured doing that.

As for his shot, what can you say. It is beautiful. What worries me is the same thing that worries him (from an interview in the Chronicle); he said he is not good at shooting on his first touch. He is used to starting as a playmaker and getting a feel for the ball each game. I think his airballs are an indication of that.

He can shoot off the dribble. That is why these Bullard comparisons are silly. He can create.

He has good enough handles to drive and pop from 15', but he doesn't seem to do that. I don't know why he is forcing it all the way to the basket.

8. 3pointer

3pointer Member

I saw the game last night and all I can say is that Griff for some odd reason reminds me so much of Duncan, the way he shoots and his overall behaviour on the court.

IMO Langhy looked like he was above everyone else in there (except that Russian dude, he was really good) his stroke is just sweeeet! the dude has definetly been working on his skills and seems to be poised to make his mark in the NBA this season.

------------------
    When will I reach 1000 posts ?

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Gone Crispee, but Frank Zappa will never be forgoten. I knew it was too long but it just made me laugh when I reread it recently.

------------------

10. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

I got lost in the postings here, so I may be repeating some posters thoughts ......

My view on the game:

1. Shane Colson dribbles the ball like he wants to read the logo and he misplaced his spectacles. Every trip: Way up on his chest, bounce .... bounce ...... bounce ...... I waited for boing ..... boing .....boing ..... to go flop .... crash ....bang on every possession. I didn't have to wait long. Every *%&%$#@%# time it was in his hands. Plop Plop Fizz Fizz! He also telegraphed his passes like someone had slipped him a couple extra bucks to make Utah look like a "great stealing" team. I was not impressed. Kelly did more for me. Little Boney Watson would have been an improvement.

2. Langhi can stroke that peanut can't he? But he is clearly out of his element at the two. It is a waste of an experiment,IMHO. He needs a controlled PG (Francis/Mooch) offense to make him look good (even at the three) but his free stroking without hesitation , well, that was just fun to watch in the first half. His defense needs work. Is it me or did he look quicker and much more relaxed than last year? He hasn't quite learned yet how to use his length to his best advantage, especially in close. he should have been showing some maturity in that area. He appears to have all the makings of someone who can dominate at that (summer revue) level, but he is NOT bigleague by any stretch. Of course he has demonstrated that(fear of taking the next step professionally or something) before and that is why he sits a lot during the season.

3. Griffin looked good at times, and I keyed on him in between the horrendous broadcast team of Dumb and Dumber. He ran the floor well, but looked awkward when he didn't have the ball in his hands. He was like in slow-motion and you could almost hear the gears grinding. It will be fun when he gets consistent passes in his red zone and is able to anticipate some of his teammates moves. But right now he looks lost without the rock. Underneath no surprise there. He has jumps. He is a little anxious on defense and reached over and on top off some players. But he showed moxy and smarts at the swat and stop. The most striking think though is almost the sense that he is holding something back. Some latent explosiveness or soemthing. I remember Steve Francis doing the same thing the first several times I saw him play at the NBA level.

4. Andrei had fun. Man, he was in the zone wasn't he? Utah will have him on the floor early this year. He looks real young facially, but he has some mature physical moves. Doesn't juggle the ball, has good eyes ... and he has that european tact of moving real well in and out of the defenders when he is without the ball.Add Stockton's passing and there will some teams going home early with this blond kid in their nightmares. I thought he moved as well anyone.

5. Axel D. and Jensen were a waste of time. They were out played most of the night. They looked the way Curry looked the last game I saw him .... just not into it unless they were under the bucket and everyone was scrambling for the greased pig.

6. I saw Jim Boylen yell and shake his head in disgust a couple of times when our five spot pale pivots had clear defensive advantage underneath, but were either walked around, or overtopped without any challenge from them. It got so bad out there at times that I was (Gasp) wishing for Cato to heal his sore __________ (fill-in whatever) and play. Cato might have at least fouled someone and cried/whined/complained enough to distract the opponent! (Nothing worse than a seven foot crybaby scowling and whining about some little bobo, that a nasty old 6 footer gave him while attacking the basket.) Even Cato at his worse, would have challenged enough that the Jazz would have backed off and we would have sailed to an easy win. IMHO,anyway.

------------------

11. Rockettebustier

I enjoyed watching Griffin, Langhi, and Morris last night.

One thing about Griffin that really grabbed my attention last night was his willingness to consistently step outside and set decent picks. Also he slides over in a good spot to recieve the ball after setting the pick as well. Or if nothings there he'll slide down into the post and reposition himself nicely for the ball. Overall he seemed to pick his spots well offensively. Defensive positioning for rebounds could use some more work but I'm sure the more experience he gets the less he'll find himself out of position for a defensive rebound.

------------------

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Alaska/Popeye,

Good points. Dan and Grif will be much better working with Steve and Mooch. Dan's outside shooting could be a major weapon off the bench if he can learn how to play that role.

He still may have some adjustment problems, unless he becomes our starter at 3 (not probable).

I think Pops hit on something that might surprise us in the regular season...Grif may just pick up his game several notches to better compete with the increased competition. Either way they'll be fun to watch and gee 11 televised games will be great.

------------------

13. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I actually missed last night's game, but from reactions I've read, I pretty much know what went on, even though the reactions are mixed.

First, let me say this about Dan. I think pee is right about him forcing the ball sometimes. If you had seen Dan in the 2nd and 3rd game, let me tell you, everyone would be ranting about how much he sucks. The first game and last night's game show what he can do when his shot is falling. He does better defensively against small forwards rather that shooting guards, but if you don't think Stevenson isn't going to blow by some really good shooting guards, then there is no hope for you.

Some of you want to say Eddie doesn't try hard, isn't focused, gets pushed around, etc.
    What I see is that he brings things that this team didn't have last year. Namely, rebounding, shot-blocking, (stats say he had 5 last night)and post up offense. You can't judge by a person's facial expressions whether he is trying or not.

Colson has also had good games and not so good games. As I have said previously, I am really impressed with Kelly. He had not played point guard in the first three games. Did he really play point last night?

------------------

14. alaskansnowman

I agree with Crispee on the evaluation about Danforth. His shot is sweet, but I'm puzzled by the airball... it could be a confidence problem as stated in the Clutch thread.

On his drives, Langhi just flys in there with reckless abandon. He is likely to get injured doing that. At least he is not afraid to get contact or draw the foul, but whenever Langhi drives, including last year during scrub minutes, he never got the foul called on his defender. I believe Langhi wants to establish himself as an all around player on offense - not just a shooter, but also a penetrator and slasher. That is why he just flies in like that, instead of pulling up for the 15 footer.

Overall, I'm still pleased with danforth's performance. All he has to do is bring that shot of his, and he can contribute well.

------------------
    its not the hours you put in your work that counts, it's the work you put in the hours - alaskansnowman

[This message has been edited by alaskansnowman (edited July 27, 2001).]

15. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Except that Griffin doesn't bank it of the glass every time he shoots [​IMG]
    Plus Duncan is a lot more creative in the post. Hopefully, Dream will come back and mentor Griffin with his post play.

------------------
    Please check out my site:
    <a href="http://www.geocities.com/francisroy_3" target=window>Steve Francis Fan Site</a>

[This message has been edited by LiLStevie3 (edited July 27, 2001).]

16. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Oily: for what it's worth (very little probably), I thought you are being harsh on Jensen because:

1. He's not a center but he played there.
    2. Seemed to me he slowed down the Russian.

I like Jensen's dirty work profile, though I don't see a spot for him on the Rockets.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."