1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why doesn't Morey get the same criticism Stone did?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Aug 26, 2023.

1. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

We never had a losing season under Morey.
    We NEVER had to endure the years of misery tanking under Morey.
    He won 61.5% of his games. Higher than any Rockets GM.
    He was the 2nd winningest GM in the entire NBA during his 13 year span, only behind SA.
    We averaged more than 50 wins per 82 games under Morey, often with quite varied mix of players.
    He won 640 games as Rockets GM.
    He did it with MULTIPLE franchise players, Multiple Coaches and an owners who would interfere while the Spurs had the luxury of mostly injury free top players.
    He made 77 trades as Rockets GM (2nd highest during those 13 years) and put huge amounts of effort into making the team a success. Many GM's essentially did little or nothing.
    There is a good chance he would have had a championship but random injuries ultimately prevented it.

Compare that stretch to the other 29 GM's during that time. Maintaining a team that was good to great for 13 years is an achievement almost none of them can boast.

Not possible to compare him to Stone who so far has won nothing. In fact Stone has not even TRIED to win as we have been tanking. THIS year will finally give us a hint of what Stone might achieve... Could be really good, we will see.

2. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

BamBam likes this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You are giving him credit for choosing players everyone
    would have drafted. Is everyone a good GM?

I pushed, pre draft:
    Jalen Green (I fought against those pushing Mobley)
    Jabari Smith (I fought against those pushing Banchero)
    Tari Eason (I fought against those wanting Sochan and others)
    Cam Whitmore (against those posting he can't pass...
    He'll be just fine)

Amen Thompson just shows Stone picks best player available.
    May take Amen years to develop a shot, Tilman sent win now message.

I wouldn't have drafted Sengun.....i'm on record pre draft saying his
    lack of foot speed would always be a liability defensively. Charles
    Barkley said he could have played until age 50 if he didn't have to
    run the length of the court. Just stay at the offensive end....
    unfortunately the NBA doesn't work that way.

Google: is NBA considering 4-pt line and see what you come up with.
    You'll see, Adam Silver admits conversations among NBA execs
    discussing the matter behind doors.

But how do you know Patrick Fertitta didn't push all of these moves?

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You forgot to mention: Best record in Rockets history and 8 consecutive playoff appearances.

SuperKev, Dobbizzle and daywalker02 like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

DeBeards and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You forgot being once called a Wizard and a Nerd Gawd.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

how much of that is Morey and how much is the fact that we had top5 superstar + coach that didn't set any boundaries + tax free state - all of them attracting players. in fact, Morey came to a point where players didn't want to play for him

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He traded for that top 5 superstar for pennys on the dollar and targeted coaches that would be agreeable to run the offense he envisioned that prioritized 3s and layups that allowed us to succeed with lesser talent relative to the other powerhouses of the time (never went into luxury tax) and the league very shortly followed suit as a whole adopting the same strategy. He also pioneered contract structures and trades featuring draft pick protections that hadn’t been seen before that once again the league began to copycat.

He was definitely a self promoter who liked being in the news, but you are lying to yourself if you can’t see how great he was for the franchise and how much he influenced the entire league to change and be smarter as a whole.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

8 consecutive playoff flame outs means nothing if you have poor culture & absolutely not player accountability

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Stone is older than Morey, has accomplished less as GM and has another profession - the Law as attorney.

He is not the future in the GM business, probably give him 3-7 years.

Make sure you do not invest too much emotions into someone who is not going to be here very long term.

clos4life likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, Morey declined as a GM but you cannot deny the good things he did earlier in his career either.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

If he is not in the business, I'm sure it'll be his decision. In under 3 years he's made this team a young attractive destination. I'm sure other knowledgeable fans would LOVE a GM to turn their franchise around in 3 years, after the previous GM ran the franchise in the ground.

roslolian likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It that Harden? He's ripped.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

That makes him better than Morey already since Morey passed on Kawhi for Baby Melo Morris. And then traded baby Melo Morris for busts when Harden could've used some solid stretch PFs.

Morey got value from late firsts and early seconds but these are all role players doesn't really move the needle all that much. Stone so far got Sengun, Tari Eason and Cam Whitmore for late firsts all of whom have more upside over any late first pick of Morey besides maybe Parsons.

#74 roslolian, Aug 29, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats the point of winning games when you just lose in the first round? Are you saying you clapped and cheered every time Tmac and Yao got eliminated in the first round?

Who cares about regular season results? This is the same issue with Harden people always act like winning regular season games mean something well they don't. The Rockets had first seed when they lost to GSW and I didn't see anybody throwing a parade for the winningest team in the regular season in 2018.

If you ask me I'd rather have 10 games won than 50 games won if I knew my team would just get eliminated in the first round. At least next year you got some top level talent to move up whereas with the 50 win team you are just gonna do the same crap till your vets become useless.

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

:eek:

No doubt, homie has some moves, but the real talent is the employee in the back left!! Years of practice!!;)

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I can agree with all of this. And still think he was one of Houstons better GMs. Those 2009 and 2018 rosters were money. Wish people could let Morey and Harden go.

clos4life and daywalker02 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

clos4life and BamBam like this.
  19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It’s funny how people here measure success. It was the same bs that led our r****ded ass
    Fans to not see why the brand of ball and culture morey pushed wasn’t going to do ****

“BuT wE wErE oVEr .50o”

Would hate to give any one of you a job, making victories of every post It you probably write. Success is always measures with results. One of the reasons we’re so far behind is the byllshit he peddled before he left. Appeasing harden played into that

20. bmelo

bmelo Member

it is smart in rs. i will give you that. but unless someone win in that model - i will not be a fan. probably wont be one if somebody win with it too