1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

When did this happen?

Htown Stros and Bregatron like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I think that the prospect cost was high, but not when you consider that the METS can end up paying a huge part of the contract. The Astros were never going to give Verlander the total financial package the METS did, so the fact that the Astros found a way to get Verlander makes it excellent. The cost of a true ace is very high.

The Astros went into the trade deadline really wanting to add a top reliever. The problem is that there was basically nothing available. At least the Astros got Graveman, who is a better option than the majority of relievers available on the market. He has a track record of success and has pitched in higher profile situations.

This one I agree with. What I was told is that the prospect cost was simply too high. However, they really could of used a strong bat that could play the corner outfield and 1st base. Not a lot of those guys were dealt. The White Sox and Astros talked Jake Berger but they wanted the best of the Astros low level prospects, and that was too much.

What this deadline shows (yet again) is that a team never has too many credible bullpen arms. So it's important to hold on to the ones you have and also don't let them sign with your direct competition (Will Smith). Had the Astros resigned him, the Rangers would likely be behind the Astros and the Rangers would have been extremely dependent on the free agent market.

I also think that Brown should have struck earlier in free agency. I know that he said he tried, and while Aroldis Chapman is human garbage, the Rangers got a high leverage arm for very little - the Astros could have used him.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

feels hindsight-ish to have any real regrets letting smith get away. wasn't used in the postseason and had such a bad year before we acquired him. i wouldn't have thought that keeping him was a real consideration (especially since they kept montero), but sounds like you heard they may have discussed it?

seems like a fallback option to not being able to acquire a top reliever like they wanted could've been multiple relievers like the graveman/montero/maton year, and not having to bank on one guy filling the need. picking up graveman, then continuing to try and get another reliever, then instead coming away with nothing is a fail imo.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

We're only behind a half a game in the loss column.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

McBitchface talking about people whining while he constantly whines about Astros PR being big ol’ meanies and just won’t answer questions and don’t make anyone available to the media and don’t release injury reports.

[​IMG]

Go back to Alabama or Louisiana or wherever the **** you came from.

#3045 J.R., Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  6. cardpire

cardpire Member

did you see the comment he made last week when he was tweeting abreu vs diaz stat comparisons, and mentioned that he did that just to bait people into making a maldy comment, so he knows who not to take seriously when talking about baseball

Wulaw Horn and J.R. like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

8. SuraGotMadHops

He is the absolute worst. Just once can we have a beat writer that isn't a smug, smarmy, punchable face twit?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, I quit “following” him and keep it mostly to the new Chron guy (Matthew Kawahara).
    (And McTaggart is seemingly on vacation half the time. “I’m not in [city Astros are visiting]. Follow [MLB.com intern beat writer].”)

But I just looked it up…

cardpire likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

And this is what pisses me off so much about the maldonado truthers. They have the arrogant high ground in thinking they are the smart ones that know baseball. It’s really ****ing irritating. Like the guy with the 110 IQ thinking he’s the smartest person in the room level irritating.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think everyone has different mindsets and approaches on swings. Based on your body type, and habits formed when young, its almost impossible to find two swings that are just alike.

Saying that, he still gets text from Mike Trout about hitting related topics and has worked with him and other major leaguers in prior off seasons. If he tells me something, I tend to treat it as very honest and informative.

Nook likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

Midwits. The lot of 'em.

13. Elienator

Elienator Member

If signing Chapman would guarantee another Astros WS, I think I’d still rather them not sign him. Maybe I’d think differently if they hadn’t just won a WS, but I’m much happier with the current state than rooting for a team with Chapman on it.

panamamyers, Wulaw Horn and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. raining threes

I think he lead off one game when Altuve got a day off.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He did both! He hit wherever the guy he replaced hit. That was one of my favorite Dusty’s.

16. raining threes

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

eh madly is trash at hitting. It would be one thing if at EVERY high leverage moment dusty pinched hit for him but he doesn’t.

also not sure taking anecdotal reasoning from players that isn’t backed up by stats as your only “proof” means much. That is literally the reason we have coaches. To take a step back from the feeling and make decisions on facts and stats.

But this is coming from someone that would literally only play maldy with JV and framber and pinch hit him at any high leverage moment

Wulaw Horn and cmlmel77 like this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I still can't imagine how you get Tucker done over the costs of Yordan who is the true 1a superstar of the team.

Yes he signed a team friendly deal, but it would be hard pressed for me to see him happy if Tucker is making more.

Doesn't feel like Brown's comments are as much fact as hope.

I could be completely wrong but how I see that dynamic working out.

#3059 tmacfor35, Aug 10, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2023
    Wulaw Horn likes this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

I've thought about that as well but Yordan's situation was completely different. Yordan has had knee issues and he's also had issues with his hands. So he's been dealing with health issues whereas Tucker has been very durable thus far. So Yordan went the route of taking the $$ now to provide lifelong financial security. He'll be 32 when he's a FA and if he stays healthy for the most part between now and then he'll have another sizable contract. Remember nobody put a pistol to Yordan's head making him sign that contract.