1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Porter Jr will be the Rockets MVP (most versatile player) next season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTown1977, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's been a few years and he's been working on himself. I think we should allow for the possibility of personal growth.

KingSamJack, burlesk, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Fixed it for you.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For sure, he did, and he should have been benched for it, but that is on Silas.......

DD

burlesk and Rolliepollie like this.
  4. Rolliepollie

Rolliepollie Member

Yep. Silas was an enabler. Can't wait to see the new kpj with Ime. He's either gonna be the best player he has ever been, or get traded. But the sulking he did last yr won't be tolerated anymore.

burlesk and slothy420 like this.
  5. DaDakota

Agreed, and that is true of everyone - we can finally get REAL DATA on these guys find out whom can take it and is a keeper and whom can't.

Because we got incomplete data from the Silas years.

DD

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You could still get data from a bad coach, it is not like he was not playing NBA level games.

Some players do better with bad coaches and on bad teams than on contenders.

We even got data from Overtime Elite on the Thompson twins.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Our best lineup will be: (in those few minutes with)

KPj
    Green
    Amen
    Tari
    Jabari

HD729, BigShasta and maj21 like this.
  8. DaDakota

Garbage and worthless data for the most part - incomplete at best.

DD

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So what if his stats are worse under Ime, does that mean you move on from him?

Because it was under Ime.

There is a thing called a work in progress. But the Rox in the situation that they may move on from younger players after 1 or 2 years.

What they did with Tyty, Garuba and Josh Christopher.

I do not see a lot of .... We should have kept Ty Ty because his data was incomplete under Silas......from the organization.

10. DaDakota

Perhaps, if he doesn't fit anymore it might mean that he needs the ball in his hands to be successful, and that won't happen any longer in Houston - just have to see what is happening.

I see a mercurial talent in him, if he can handle or is committed to the grind.

Yeah, they moved on quickly, and the truth is they will be judged upon that and should be if they move on from a player that turns out to be really good or great it is a mistake unless that player did not fit in their direction and they are good regardless, but if they struggle and a player like say TyTy or Christopher suddenly blows up, Stone will be held accountable......and again, he should be.

DD

snowconeman22 likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

KPJ situation is likely to boil down to three factors/questions...

- Ego: At 23 will he mature and embrace the new coaching and role they design for him?

- Injuries: He's averaged 60% availability in his first 4 seasons. Can he stay healthy and can he take advantage if other opportunities open up from injuries to teammates?

- Work ethic: Can he focus on his new role and get the most out of the minutes that he earns by harnessing his best traits to contribute to the team?

KPJ has enormous physical talent and is gifted skill wise, but can he evolve as a person and a player to fit Ime's vision for him within the team? I like KPJ and I'm rooting for the young man. I hope he figures it out and has a great season, along with the rest of our great group of young talent.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No he didn't lol

13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Alot of stuff in this thread is ppl projecting BS on too KPJ based on their perception. He had a locker room issue a few years ago, but was the model player last year. He was also the 2nd best player behind Green. He's going to be fine

HD729 and DaDakota like this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You need to rework that 60% number, especially if you’re talking about games missed due to “injuries”

in the pandemic year, CLE only played 65 games.

in his 2nd your, CLE never played him due to his summer weapons charge, and later his lockerroom outburst, not injury, and after the trade, the Rockets assigned him to the G-League bubble,,,again, not injured.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

There weren't notable issues this past season, but on January 1st 2022 he got into an argument during halftime, walked out, and never came back, so major problems are not just a matter of a few years ago. He's going to need go a lot longer without stuff like that for me to fully believe he's turned over a new leaf. I do think he's trying, though.

Losmi_34 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also it was one and half years ago. That is just a way to underestimate the incident.

A few years ago could range to 3-4 years ago which is not the case here.

I also think the Rockets have a tighter handle on him, it probably would happen on another team, I am not fantasizing about him retiring here.

OremLK likes this.
  17. Moahst

Moahst Member

Kevin Porter Jr. is a very skilled 2 guard. If he can come off the bench and close games as needed he'll be an absolute asset. If he causes trouble in the locker room, cut his ass.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I don’t think Cam and Thompson will get a lot of minutes. Udoka value experience. Maybe Thompson will get rotation minutes but I doubt both

HD729 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Amen absolutely will get rotational minutes as a 4th overall pick. Ime has power but not THAT much power I think. You can't just send your 4th overall draft pick to the gleague or be the 11th or 12 man. You have to see what you got. My guess is he will start the season averaging around 20 minutes per game being the primary pg back up and getting some spot minutes at the wing. Depending on his contributions, he can eventually get 25+ minutes. If this was 2 seasons ago when we were obviously tanking he'd be the full time starting pg but the team isn't at that place now.

20. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Apache - you think Amen only plays 18 minutes a game? Hard to see that for me.

ApacheWarrior likes this.