1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023 Trade Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 8, 2023.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

That's why they got those starterss. They won't have to rush their hurt starters back. They can take their time. They won't have to overwork their current starters. Astros do not have that luxury. One injury and we're boned.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking people need to chill on the Dusty stuff. He’s not going anywhere this year. The continual Dusty bashing is stale.

Focus on something that is realistic. We know you don’t like Dusty and Maldy people. You’ll get your wish next year, so focus on the now.

IowaAstro, whiskeyred, awc713 and 3 others like this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You are a clown. say again- the difference in OPS between Diaz and maldonado is the same as the difference between like trout for his career and Kevin Bass. Literally, the playing time split between those two is solely responsible for the Astros being in 2nd place instead of first.
    Dusty is a clown and maldonado blows chunks. No rational person can argue either proposition.

everyday eddie and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  5. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Mets to Houston: “To use your lingo, we got ‘ya’ll’ by the balls so if you want Verlander you’re going to have to pay for it”

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

It’s literally the most important and impactful thing this organization can do- play the best players in a crazy attempt to self actualize and win games.

everyday eddie, IBTL and texans1095 like this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Actual conversation:
    Astros FO: "We're interested in JV. We're prepared to offer you Meyers, Montero and Stanek as long as you throw in half of his salary. That's 3 major leaguers for only 1... hello?"

8. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I hope the Rangers self-destruct, but the truth is nobody they have given up is going to "destroy their future", but they have solidified this year's roster. The Astros are still a good team, and competitive for the crown, but the Rangers have made the path a little more difficult

jim1961 likes this.
  9. jayfree

jayfree Member

I know what it is. The Mets desperately want Maldy included in the trade but Dusty balked at the idea of their best player being shipped off. Then JV got wind of the rumor and said, "There's no way I'm going to Houston if Maldy is going out". So the conundrum continues.

houstonstime and Wulaw Horn like this.
  10. mikol13

Supporting Member

If you think trading Maldy is going to go over well in the clubhouse, I’d say you’re probably wrong. I don’t like his lack of production, I’m with you there. There are just many levels to this. It’s not as simple as it seems.

Would I rather see Diaz get 80% of the starts at catcher? Yes. Do I think it will happen? No.it’ll happen next year, so I’m choosing to focus on other areas.

Everyone can continue to talk about it until they’re blue in the face. Barring injury, it’s probably not changing much this year.

Starter, reliever and another OF bat is what I’m hoping for.

jim1961, whiskeyred and awc713 like this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

There was always going to be a cost to losing those 4 picks. If the cost has to be paid this deadline in the form of limited deals this deadline, so be it.

We should not mortgage the future.

12. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Martin Perez and Heaney are on par or worse than Bielak and Blanco.
    Any team can name seven starters.

13. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

Yawn. I get the desire to vent, yet all of the whining will not accomplish a thing. The same comments from the same people day after day, week after week, is not going to make Dusty play Diaz one more inning. Nor is it going to make Jim Crane fire Dusty. At this point all it does is make you look like child throwing a tantrum. That is what I have grown tired of.

Madmanmetz likes this.
  14. mikol13

Supporting Member

I was anti trading Gilbert for Verlander. I add him now as long as the Mets pay a large portion of he salary moving forward. I want the Astros to continue to win right now. Gilbert is one guy, he can be replaced. It’s also not a given he turns out to be a stud in the bigs.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Wanna see me do it? :)

Remember 30 minutes ago when I said "some people go overboard with it"? You even liked that post.

whiskeyred, Wulaw Horn and mikol13 like this.
  16. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

That is what a mute button is for.

raining threes likes this.
  17. Amadeus Rooster

Market is being set. Stros don't have the chips in the minors to pull off something so far. 2 days to go.

Tigers and Cubs have starters.
    Royals have relievers.
    Cardinals and Nationals maybe have a trade for us.

Crane is good pals w JV. He wants to play for championships. Think it over and see if he wants Houston and if both sides can agree, or not agree.

Guardians up next on the field.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  18. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

If Graveman is the biggest move we do, then it’s time to see what arghetti has if they go to a 6 man rotation. If he shows he’s not ready then it is what it is and ride with Bielak/blanco or stay at 5.

texans1095 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

"Stros don't want to give up the chips from the minors yet to pull off something so far" is more correct.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

People that say don't focus on Dusty and Maldy are absolutely ****ing morons.