1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How I learned to love Dillon Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

So what you’re saying is we just paid 86 million for a guy we hope only takes 10 shots a game. That’s a good use of money when you could’ve had Austin Reeves for much less.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is good data to have. Thanks for putting in the work. I hope he really will take around 10-11 shots per game instead of 14-16.

CXbby likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Every 5th Option I.D.I.O.T.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

If he actually does take 10 shots per game and they're reasonably efficient shots, it's worth it for a legit all-defensive player. My issue with this contract has always been that he takes too many shots, and in doing so subtracts back out the excellent value he contributes on the defensive end.

As a percentage of cap, Brooks' deal is comparable to the one Patrick Beverley signed in 2019. (Three years/$40M.) With us tacking on extra year as the "bad team tax", I guess.

I will be very happy if he takes 10.6 shots per game with nearly half of those being three pointers, if he can manage to shoot 35% from three.

5. Ancient Moabite

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He still averaged 13 attempts in 28 minutes per game in the playoffs, including 13 attempts in 19 minutes in game 3 before he was ejected. I get it, Ja and Bane still took plenty of shots and Memphis' rotation isn't particularly deep.

The main concern is the inefficiency, not the number of attempts. His catch and shoot percentages are okay but not great. Even if he limit him to mostly spot up shots it can only do so much. PJ Tucker and Ariza were fairly selective with their shots here, mostly shooting open threes, and were barely league average in efficiency. Honestly, I'd be satisfied if Brooks managed that but I am not sold that he'll be more selective or more efficient than in the past. We don't exactly have our own Ja and Bane. People are putting a lot of faith into Udoka to manage a very unproven team.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

8. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Fantastic post. The whole notion that we signed Brooks to let him run wild offensively is just panic talk and never made any sense. Thank you for digging into the data and ending this ridiculous narrative.

Ancient Moabite and CXbby like this.
  9. HROZ

HROZ Member

I'll love Brooks if he plays well for us & contributes to winning.

The young kids I can give a pass to because you fall in love with them for their possibilities.

Vets you fall in love with for their production.

10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is what I need: a nice tall glass of Kool-Aid. Thank you @CXbby.

xaos and robbie380 like this.
  11. Salvy

Salvy Member

[​IMG]

BelgianRocketsFan and xaos like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dillon Stock Syndrome way before any competitive games are being played.....

that is like waiving the white flag before any battles are fought, wars are waged.

robbie380 likes this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Yes and no - I think the nuance is you want him make a quick read and create. I think the problem with all those guys is when they stop and allow defenses to “set” against them, they make it very difficult for themselves to create favorable matchups because aside from Jabari’s height/shooting and maybe Cam’s first step - most of those guys don’t do anything exceptionally well enough to create favorable shots against set defenses. I think for all those guys the message is pass it along, shoot it immediately, take a single dribble and shoot, or head to the rim. They need to have read the defense before the ball gets to them - if they wait, they lose their advantages and make their offense much harder.

Hemingway and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

[​IMG]

I believe he can be a better him actually

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

are u saying that u think hes gonna bomb?

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I know a woman that has this for real. But what is the abuser called?

18. Ancient Moabite

The denationalized autochthon people in mainly north America has been going thru this syndrome since basically 1492, and legally$ since 1779

19. Moahst

Moahst Member

WE COULD NOT HAVE HAD AUSTIN REAVES. At all.

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really don't disagree with the overall point / idea of Brooks coming in and being a lock down defender you put on the opponents best wing every night while he knocks down catch and shoot 3's at a high rate - essentially the second coming of Trevor Ariza with the Rockets ....

They are paying Brooks16% which is twice as much in terms of cap space as Ariza in the second go round.
    I'd be Ok with Brooks at 8% of the cap, and I'd be Ok with Brooks at 16% of the cap overpay IF we thought he was the final piece to a championship puzzle.

This just seemed to me to be a move of desperation, and a move wasted on the strongest position on the team at the time having KMJ, Tate, Tari and Whitmore at the position.
    Even with KMJ gone there seems like a logjam at the position, they can get the same type of defensive effort from Tari who also shot better from 3 than Brooks while having Tate & Whitmore behind him and you also added Jeff Green - You could have spent that money at another position with greater impact on W's..

As it is now, with Brooks being such a high priced player, he's going to get in the way of developing players at that position, particularly Tari & Whitmore.

TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.