1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

FVV is signed because of leadership - he is a 29 year old journeyman PG who helps with a team of 23 and under players......it is a good signing at way too much money - but he fills the leadership void.

So it makes it worthwhile.

As for Stan, I am a Rox player stan 100 out of 100 times. I don't hate on Rox players if they are doing what is asked of them by the org - I don't understand how so many people can hate a guy that is maturing and is arguably our best NBA level player or was before all the signings.

It is cruel the way some of you revel in the situation when all he has done since he got here is mature and become a very good NBA combo guard.

It is funny that Lebron and Dame and other NBA players can see what some of our fanbase cannot.

DD

#6281 DaDakota, Jul 14, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
    Plowman and GotGame15 like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

China

duluth111222 and Chayvan like this.
  3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Because funnily enough, we have all this data which shows he's an absolutely terrible teammate and person at that and maybe finally the only team in the league who wanted him, have eventually realised why the 29 others didn't.

For a team who has every single core piece younger than 21 and still learning - KPJ is literally the worst type of influence for them. Again, data at every single one of his basketball pit stops proves this.

Little Bit and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Mostly agree, but I would argue that the likes of Ja Morant are even worse...

5. DaDakota

See this is just bullshit, there is no evidence of any of it, he as far as folks have said is a great teammate. There is not a single shred of data other than bringing in a 29 year old combo guard is better because they are more experienced......well no **** sherlock.

Every year people need someone to blame, 2 years ago it was Christian Wood, last year KPJ - when the truth is - the team was TANKING ON PURPOSE under Stephen Silas - the players were just doing what they were told.

DD

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

what is KPJ doing now? been a bit quiet.
    • is he working his tail and planning to beat out Green for the starting SG spot?
    • is he moping and moody-ing planing to go postal on the franchise?
    • is he chilling, resigned to become a 6th man and quietly collecting his paychecks?
    Green has been getting all the camera time with the new brass, bromancing it with FVV and Ime… Where’s KPj?

GotGame15 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not understand why people have to openly pit players against each other.

I also do not like KPJ that much but I would give him a chance.......merely 1 though.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

KPJ will be on a short leash this season. Nobody has time for his shenanigans anymore. The team is too stacked

9. invocux

invocux Member

I don't want him to play pg but he's out best shooting guard. One of the best catch and shooters in the league.

maj21, DaDakota and Plowman like this.
  10. Ancient Moabite

KPJ got his 15 seconds of fame/off-season spotlight by doing a his PR image a solid and showing up to Udoka intro conference

And they have the most invested in both Green and VV so they are going to get the most media burn based on that alone, inclusive with the other rebuild draft picks

KPJ is more likely in the lab perfecting his bootleg Harden And1 game and maybe sad a lil bit if the breakup with GF rumors are true

But he should be good mentally with whatever his role is because he claimed Houston saved his life and basically nobody wanted him after Cavs fiasco

Plus his ride or die water boy club members who claim he was a lottery pick talent keep forgetting the Rockets (Stone) got him for basically the 55th pick, which shows the Cavs incompetent front office gave away top 5 lotto talent for free and the other 28 teams must have slept on his supreme talent for reasons unknown

studogg, cheke64 and BamBam like this.
  11. NewAge

NewAge Member

He's quite OK. The Harden comparison was always flawed, like all these other comps comparing young unproven players to historic greats. It is understandable, the archetype is similar: a big lefty, who can cook on the perimeter, drive a bit, make the right pass, drain a 3... I get it.

The separation from greatness is often hard to perceive: its milliseconds really, in making the decision, the move, the jumpshot the extra inch of separation. So you have a guy who from a distance looks a lot like Harden, but there are tiny things that account for the difference between an average NBA production and historic production.

Bootleg Harden is well-put.

12. DaDakota

agreed but that is Rox PR.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had an extra day doing extracurricular work with Ime, going to historical neighborhoods and such.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think the data shows this at all. I think the data shows that he's a talented player that is very average and has a very low chance at upside beyond where he's at now. And I think the rockets are acting accordingly.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  15. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I actually think KPJ would do better with the first unit over JG. both are minus defenders but FVV can play more off ball, allowing KPJ to create more. Amen is more ball dominant and that works with JG. I don't get why there is so much hate for KPJ, I think he's steadily improving. If he doesn't learn to at least be passable on defense it doesn't matter, but I think he has special potential to create offense both with passing and iso. He actually has a positive BPM vs JG, by alot actually. I don't see superstar in JG tbh.

daywalker02 and DaDakota like this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

If I say anything about Sengun, you say I’m toxic. You do the same **** lol

17. DaDakota

100% correct.

If the Org has a true competition the better man should play - doesn't matter where you are drafted, it matters what you can do on the court.

I just don't understand the hate KPJ gets, the guy has been a GREAT find for this team, his improvement has been fantastic, his efficiency and scoring went up which is hard to do.

While we don't hear anything I believe that is on purpose, he is probably a bit upset that his job was given away, but that is the nature of the beast, the key for him is whether he comes out fighting and balling, that will show true maturity because if he does that, even if he doesn't stay here, he will net us a decent return.

DD

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We should be at least open to experimentation, it is not like we are guaranteed 40-42 wins anyhoot.

We will see if Ime is open for things or just conservative.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

KPJ, like many others are gonna have prove themselves this season. Things are different and jobs are on the line, as well as Ime is not gonna put up with bs. I’m excited about this! KPJ better bring it

Ancient Moabite and DaDakota like this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If JG is still worse than KPJ this year we've got problems