1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Class of 2021 is Extension Eligible Soon...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jul 12, 2023.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If I were to guess I would say the rockets offer a non max extension to Sengun next summer. If he plays really well this year, he'll turn it down and go into RFA.

Jalen will likely get the max. Even if he just repeats what he did this year, he'll likely get near a max. I'm not necessarily saying he'd be worth it but just look at RJ Barrett's contract. Teams feel like having an all star caliber perimeter player is a requirement so they'll hold out hope that their draft pick can turn into that.

But, one of the biggest factors here is trying not to piss off player agents. If people are expecting Jalen to get a max it could hurt our chances of getting other players if we don't give it him.

So, generally, you want to know if you have a max player or not after year 3.

ilias, kspires999 and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

This is above and beyond true. We should know what the players are capable of already. If Green & Sengun are worthy. One would think it would make the relationship better between the player and organization better and give the organization direction.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yung-T, B-Bob and Nook like this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If Jalen just repeats whatever he did last year - he's not even remotely close to the all star convo.

Like i said, of the 4 rookie maxes awarded, 3 of them actually made the ASG and the 4th (Bane) was at least considered while a key piece on a good team.

If Jalen is the same as last year, on a bad team - that sounds like RFA to me. I don't see tons of teams tossing out huge #s.

As for RJ Barrett he was 4/120 if all incentives met.

That actually pales in comparison to Desmond Bane (5/207) or Halliburton (5/260 w/all incentives)

It would have to be a significant leap forward in performance to get that kind of $ for Green.

Nook likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You're talking about what it takes for Jalen Green to deserve near max money. I'm talking about what will likely happen regardless of what he deserves.

And, my benchmark for near max if Jalen has another subpar outing was RJ Barrett as a floor. So, I'm saying if he has another high volume low efficiency year he'll get that $30MMish money you mentioned for Barrett.

The only way Jalen goes to RFA is if his volume drops off, shrinking the perception of him as a primary scorer.

kspires999 likes this.
  6. NewAge

NewAge Member

Green has everything physically and hoops-wise to be a max player: insane hops and burst coupled with good hand dexterity. He’s not just an athlete with barbecue tongs for hands, like Stacey Augmon, for example he’s a rare combo of athleticism and skill. Has developed decent jump shot accuracy, has pretty decent decision-making on the PnR, when gets doubled, etc. ..

The big problem is mental: motivation, intensity, competitiveness. Last year he was easily the laziest, most distracted, most lackadaisical player on D in the entire NBA, a total disgrace to watch.

My worry is that he’ll put-in the effort this year to get the MAX and then will check out again with the fashion shows, the gay stuff etc… It was the very same story with Ayton: great athlete, good skills, lollygagged in the NBA for his first couple of years, then got focused to get his MAX and then checked out completely. I see Green being in the same boat and that worries me

calurker likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

For projected max players I don't see the benefit of not letting them hit RFA or extending them early.

Let them play out cuz you dotn want a Zion or Wiggins situation where you max a guy in advance and he never earns it. I mean whats the worst that can happen? Some other team offers the max and you need to match it by paying your player the max? Lol

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Green is bad on defense but his intsngibles are great. His work ethic has never been a question that's one of the reasons he got drafted over Mobley.

OremLK likes this.
  9. kpdark

kpdark Member

it's the outright tanking that made them lazy. . . tanking would definitely rip out the motivation and enthusiasm from an athlete

Dankstronaut likes this.
  10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Frankly none of the players from the 21 draft are deserving of the rookie max, not even Barnes or Rockets fan favorite Mobley.

kspires999 likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Let's wait until they're actually extension-eligible to make that call. Few players break out before their third season in the league.

invocux likes this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I mentioned that Green & Sengun were extension eligible after this season a while back when explaining why it was important that they spent their cap space either this offseason or next - Before those cap holds hit the books for 150% (Green) & 300% (Sengun).

As for these rookie max extensions, 4 were signed this year but only 4 in the previous 3 seasons - Some drafts are just better than others - But this goes to show that these lottery picks aren't guaranteed to be superstars .... and maybe one or neither of Green / Sengun get those extensions.

13. NewAge

NewAge Member

It's been mostly a narrative, not backed up by evidence. His complete lack of effort and concentration on D is the main reason he's been a cancer for the team when he is on the floor, overall and in terms of +/-... It just demoralizes the entire team. The team had a better record when he was out, and you could see that the effort level was higher.

Ppl who complain about Green's efficiency, shot selection, etc. are missing the points. He's not there yet as an offensive superstar, but his development tracks well on offense. The reason he doesn't get much accolades in the national media is because the team sucks with him on the floor, has nothing to do with his skill level or talent or individual offensive production.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

So if the team reches 0.500 with him next he'll be a star right?

If lack of D makes him a cancer then Sengun is also one fo the biggest cancer since his defensive rating is the worst among centers.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Green & Sengun's cap holds are known already -

Sengun $5,424,654 x300% = $16,273,962

Green $12,483,048 x 2.5 = $31,207,620

Sengun's hold is 300% because his salary was less than the league average salary.

Green's is 250% because his salary was more than the league average salary.

Unless they renounce those holds, they are NOT likely to have cap space in 25/26.

This is why it's important that the money is spent by next offseason. 24/25 .... after that the $$$ is as good as spent.

Free Agent Cap Hold. Meaning in basketball. Definition. Wiki. Terms (alvin-almazov.com)

(That doesn't mean the team has to offer them that much they can agree to less)

jch1911 and heypartner like this.
  16. SamFisher

Mobley will absolutely get it on the first day of eligibility.

I don't really get Barnes or Toronto, but also highly likely to get it

Wagner seems well on the way as well.

Giddey maybe.

17. SamFisher

Of the last batch LaMelo clearly got it for year 2. Year 3 was kind of a **** show for him.

Of the batch before, Zion obviously showed on day 1. Morant also started out very close to all star level as a rookie, though you're right the big leap is year 3

Regardless i think its probably unlikely for the Rockets 21s to hit it, they seem to be a bit behind the curve.

Sengun is a weird case because # wise he's on track - the reluctance you'd have are based on the disadvantages of having to accommodate an undersized non switchable big anchoring your defense.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Mobley will probably get a max, but what’s going to happen also is, everyone is going to see that Chet and Wemby are vastly better, and most will come to their senses that Mobley isn’t a unicorn at all, but just another defender, rim-runner, who will get overpaid like Gobert.

Dude may have also seen his last 1st team All-Dense, as Chet and Wemby start doing the same thing

#58 heypartner, Jul 13, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    Corrosion and SamFisher like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Crouching Tigers, Hidden Dragons or Worms.

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

I wouldn't be so bold predicting such things about genetic weirdos with 0 NBA games NBA experience... May happen, but I just don't know how anyone can have the confidence to make that prediction.

Also Mobley has more skills than Gobert.