1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time to fire Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by my time to shine, Oct 30, 2022.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Landale is a offense center, does not help at all with our interior defense. Out played Ayton? Ayton gave up on the coach and the team, he did not care about playing anymore in the series and then lied that he was hurt. He hated the coach. I watched at least 6 games that Landale played this year that he played a lot of minutes. He is tough, nice shooting touch, hard worker and will rebound….nice guy and I’m glad he received a contract…he worked hard for it. The problem is he does not fit what the Rocket’s needs. Sengun is our 20 and 10 guy not a interior defender, we need someone to balance our inside presence. Why not Jarrett Allen? Cleveland is trying to get rid of him because of his PLAY in the playoffs. Capela? We really needed Lopez.
    To be a good and competitive team we need a edge on our team, we need a great defense and bench. Amen and FVV will be elite defenders pressuring the ball, Dillon, Tari and Jabari will be great on the perimeter but once they get past our perimeter defense….it is a LAYUP DRILL under our basket.

The Rockets offered Dwight Powell twice as much they gave Landale and Dwight said no. Is Dwight Powell worth 16 million? I know…I know…it’s for one year. Powell and Landale are not interior defenders and as a BACKUP CENTER Powell is making 4 million a year with Dallas not 8?!

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Um, hes done several things good. Jalen, Jabari, Eason, Sengun and Amen were drafted by Stone. The hiring of Ime....

You don't remember any of these things?

Corrosion and roslolian like this.
  3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Um, hes done several things good. Jalen, Jabari, Eason, Sengun and Amen were drafted by Stone. The hiring of Ime....

You don't remember any of these things?
    You guys need to be held accountable for these ridiculous posts on Stone. You made this 6 games in the season last year smh

roslolian likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think the 10,000 ft view of free agency is that the long term damage is very limited, IF Brooks turns out to play All NBA D and shoots more efficiently. But the standard should be much higher. We should expect our GM to be an asset to the organization. The bar should not be, “he didn’t screw up too bad”. You have to maximize draft capital, player development, improve your team through trade, and turn signings into assets. I just don’t think Stone has done a good job in any of these areas. He’s made a few good draft selections and for the most part, not signed anyone to bad long-term contracts. I think the Ime hire was mostly Tilman, and the Silas hire cancels that out anyway. Objectively we aren’t in a terrible place, but we’d be in a much better place with a better GM.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Smith, Eason, Whitmore, and Thompson all look fantastic. But sure, let’s fire Stone over a few SRPs.

peleincubus and roslolian like this.
  6. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

What would you of spent the money on? I'm curious to see how much better your move are. I loved Morey when he was here but you need to let him go. He's not coming back. He has a new family now.

peleincubus and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  7. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

get out of here with this trash. They arent any better then the players picked around them

BallSoHarden likes this.
  8. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

hard to imagine a scenario where he gets fired this year. hell, beat 22 wins with improved dee, he'll probably be a lock for another couple seasons.

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No matter what Stone does he’ll always be known as the guy who gave away KMJ. Just like Presti was known as the guy who gave up Harden. At least he got something in return.

10. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

This is a one year contract for all intents and purposes. Nothing more.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Tell me when KMJ wins an mvp.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

We maximized draft capital by tanking and letting Silas and Nix drive the tank train. That's a lot more impactful than whatever return other GMs can get for Tyty, JC and Garuba.

Is he perfect? No. Has he missed out on deals? Yes. But at the end of the day Stone has delivered on what matters most, you can't trivialize the decisions he has made correctly and the magnify his mistakes. For example the Harden draft alone was amazing, half of his haters now wanted Simmons before remember that? They were talking all that crap about the FO and ownership being incompetent and not getting the multi time all star, now these guys act like that never happened. For a rebuilding team like the Rox the draft is 80% of the result and Stone has delivered on that front as well. 3 yrs ago the only viable asset Rockets had was James Harden. All our picks got sacrificed and our team was the oldest team in the league. 3 yrs later we have so many guys with potential Sengun, Jalen, KPJ, Tari, Bari, Cam, Amen. To trivialize that as "he has made a few draft selections" is kinda a joke since that's the main goal these 3 years, to hit on the draft.

Stone has done a great job as GM overall if you don't see that then thats your problem.

#512 roslolian, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This exposes your disdain for Stone. So Stone gets no credit for the hire of Ime, but everything else is on him lol. It don't work like that. Rebuilding from scratch is ugly. You take on bad contracts, swing & miss on FA's, lose games on purpose etc...But overall Rafael Stone has done a PHENOMENAL job putting us in a position to be successful. The fact Udoka chose us over any organization just proves Stone made Houston an attractive destination. Give him credit

roslolian and HTownTmac1 like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I gave Stone credit for the hire at the time. There are many credible reports that Tilman drove that hire, but again, I gave Stone credit. Ime hasn’t coached a game for Houston yet, but again, I like the hire.

But look, you have to also hold Stone accountable for the Silas hire and sticking with him for 3 full seasons. It was very obvious after season 2 that Silas had lost control of the team. It was questionable decision to stick with him for year 3, but at the very least, it’s clear it was a bad hire, and Stone is responsible for that. So while you are correct that I’m not a fan of Stone (“disdain” is a little strong) because I think he’s made a lot of mistakes, I’m just pointing out that you can’t give him credit for Ime and not acknowledge what an abject failure Silas was as Stone’s first hire.

15. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Wood +/-
    Harden trade +
    Oladipo -
    Allen -
    Theis -
    Green +
    Segun +
    Garuba -
    Christopher -
    Tucker -
    Jabari +
    Eason +
    Ty Ty -
    Gordon -
    Udoka +
    Amen +
    Cam +
    over paying FA -
    cap space managment -

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He gave us the best nucleus at the fastest rate out of any team. Im not going to fire him because he overpaid 5mill per year on Dillon. The season hasnt even started.

17. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What move has Stone made that Clutchfans didn't see? Literally every thing people praise him for was a front page topic before it happened. Tari Eason, Cam, Sengun Ime, Jalen etc. He has done very basic and obvious things someone playing video game GM would do.

On the other hand, what things has he completely screwed up? The Harden trade is/was a disaster, the Oladipo trade was awful. Josh Christopher, Garuba, TyTy and KJ Martin given away practically for nothing, 3 first round picks plus a guy better than all 3 of them and you get no return other than a Free Agent no one else was still in the bidding for.

A good GM is doing things that fans don't even think of, Morey made incremental upgrades until a star would eventually become available and then he had us in the running countless times because of good asset management. It may not be obvious to fans now, but Stone may have cost us a shot at a disgruntled star in a couple of years, where he could have turned all of these assets into something of worth. Every time Morey signed someone it felt like we had a great deal, other than Ryan. We got lucky Oladipo didnt want to play here, or he would have had a bad contract. Now hes overpaid multiple players this off season.

If we had a better GM, they would be keeping an eye on guys like Trae Young, Luka being disgruntled, or getting Zion for extremely cheap. We tanked for 3 years and accumulated a lot of assets in the process of trading away all of our stars and vets, they had a lot of value and we are just giving them away. We went from being mentioned in every star's rumors of being traded for our role players, to being the joke of the league overpaying role players just to come here.

I feel like people here forget what every trade deadline looked like, our name was mentioned everywhere and Morey would do press conferences with bloodshot eyes and everyone knew he spent days calling every single team possible to work deals sacrificing sleep. That is why we ended up getting players for good value that we never would even think of. Stone comes across as someone who is not working anywhere nearly as hard, hes made zero upgrades via trade in 3 years.

#517 BallSoHarden, Jul 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    jerryclark and Ming The King like this.
  18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Gordon trade got us Cam Whitnore. I think that's a plus,

Mr.Scary and roslolian like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I think Stone has done well with draft selections, but his decision to hire silas screwed up talent assessment/development which led us to selling our first round picks players for Jack sht.

He's also sucks at free agency, overpaying for dillions which will most likely bite us in the a$$ with that sht contract

He signed theis which was sht.

And he likes to meddle with coaching.

He's not terrible but I wouldn't trust him to lead us to the promise land.

Ming The King likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He picked up future HOFer Mayer off the scrap heap so that makes Stone ok in my book again

roslolian and cheke64 like this.