1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ: Can someone explain to me why he has become Clutchfans favorite whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DasouthDakota, Oct 25, 2022.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We're not going to know the depth chart until training camp is underway, at the earliest right

Assuming KPJ starts is assuming one of FVV, Brooks, Smith or Green comes off the bench, that's a strong assumption

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My assumption is that KPJ will come off the bench....but that's because it's also my assumption that Udoka was lying when he said that nothing would be given and that playing time and roles would be earned due to merit.

I'd be shocked if he was in fact telling the truth because forcing guys like Jalen Green or Dillon Brooks to actually earn their spots, when there's no way they'd be able to do so, would do nothing but turn them into locker room problems.

3. Landry's Tooth

I think it's Green's job to lose but I can see him losing it to KPJ if he's not better on defense.

There has to be accountability. That doesn't mean if Green is coming off the bench to start the year that he will finish there.

KPJ was a better all around player last year ao its not a crazy argument to say the better performance gets the job. Maybe that motivates Green. If he doesn't respond then he was never going to have the mental edge to be a star.

For the Jalen Only Fans out there, if he's as good as you claim then he will start and there will be no issue. So there's nothing to whine about what I said.

4. Landry's Tooth

Tell me how you feel about Vernon?

Similar issues... quit on his team....

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

umm no

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not even just that, at one point, Olajuwon quit on his team, he faked an injury in order to skip multiple games and demanded a trade.

There's just no reason to buy into the faux outrage.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

But would he be 6th man? If Tari doesn't start, Tari should be 6th man. And I would argue Amen should probably get more minutes than KPJ.

KPJ for 8th man of the year, here we go!

Dobbizzle and Joe Rocket like this.
  8. beardsanity713

As critical as I've been about KPJ ive come around a lot more on his future with the team. It was never about his actual basketball skills dude is a baller his talent is undeniable more so the off court stuff and his antics during games but with a solid leader like Ime & the vets that were brought in I believe he will buy in & has a chance to beat out Jalen for the starting 2 guards job.

Dobbizzle, burlesk and duluth111222 like this.
  9. i3artow i3aller

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I think KPJ has the opportunity to carve out a role here - if he buys in and let's Ime coach him. History says Ime should be successful. So I am cautiously optimistic KPJ will be a productive role player for the Rockets.

I really don't care if that's 6th or 8th man to be honest.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Jalen still isn't better than KPJ this year that will be a really big disappointment. Year 3 is a big year, generally players who don't make a huge leap by year 3 never do. If he can't outplay KPJ and earn his spot as the starting 2 guard then he probably won't ever be the player we want/need him to be.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If he embraces his new role, whatever it might be, both on and off the court, I for one will be pulling for him.

13. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Just hated him at PG. Dude has talent no doubt.

15. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Then you can say the same thing about KPJ because he is pass 3 years and hasn’t looked too good a lot of the times.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Over who exactly? Green?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I do say the same thing about KPJ, I've been critical of him, and I no longer think he has star potential. I was very hopeful when the rockets added him and was looking for him to make the leap and he never did. He's just a slightly above-average player. He's the type of guy that can be a starter on an okay/bad team or a solid bench contributor on a good/great team. I really hope Jalen surpasses that.

Ancient Moabite and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You realize that only a select few players average over 21 at his age in year 2. The only players to do that are all at minimum all stars lol. Jalen is already leaps ahead of KPJ at KPJs age lol

Ancient Moabite and Dobbizzle like this.
  19. NewAge

NewAge Member

I’m afraid you’re right. Green has to secure extension this season and benching him will hit him in the pocket, harshly. Don’t think they let that happen, they are scared of bad rep among players. Dillon , too. He has that crazy look about him, where you don’t know what will happen if you cross him.

Regardless of all the hate here for KPJ and all the "soup" rehashing from 3 years ago, it very well may be that KPj is the most mature and balanced of them all and they may think he’ll take it the easiest if he losses his starting job…

20. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think nba now is in the direction where who ends the game is more important than who starts the game. So if kpj is in a lineup that is working better than with green it, he should close.
    Also this team does not have anyone who has to play 34 plus minutes which means multiple players can play around the same minutes off the bench.