1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets deal for Dillon Brooks (4 yrs/$86 million + incentives)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to factor in all that the Rockets gave up, not just the money. Plus you have to factor in that the only other competition for his services came from China. The Rockets were effectively bidding against themselves for a guy no one had any serious interest in. Brooks got 2 other meetings and BOTH teams immediately went in a different direction after talking to him, he didn't even get an offer.

Then you have to factor in that Ryan Anderson was content coming off the bench whereas this guy has shown that he'll become a locker room problem if he's not featured in the offense enough for his liking.

All things considered, the Ryan Anderson deal is infinitely more defensible than the DIllon Brooks deal.

amaru likes this.
  2. a time to chill

Dillon Brooks Reportedly Wanted A Bigger Role On Offense: “I Was Just There To Three-And-D, Shoot And Play Defense."

https://fadeawayworld.net/dillon-brooks-reportedly-wanted-a-bigger-role-on-offense-i-was-just-there-to-three-and-d-shoot-and-play-defense

This could turn into another Christian Wood situation. With that contract, Brooks is going to be utilizing more of the offense. He’s going to want to be doing the ISO cross overs to take more mid-range shots. I think this dude is going to be the most hated guy on the roster by Rockets twitter when the season is over.

cdastros, AXG, amaru and 4 others like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ryno's signing was strange because Morey almost never gave role players 4 years. But one can argue that the cap spiked up that year and there were some competing bids, he might have to bite the bullet. The thing is, Ryno did exactly what was expected of him when he came. It was after he got injured and all of a sudden lost all confidence. When a guy who's only job is shoot lost confidence, he's pretty much totally useless. We all know how Ryno became untradeable and we had to give up good assets just to get him off our hands. This is why long term guaranteed deals are risky. You don't know what will happened a couple years down the road. A seemingly okay signing might turn into a dead weight.

The problem about Brooks' deal is not just how much money but how long. Let's hope that he doesn't turn into some stinker nobody wants.

ilias and amaru like this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you can rein him in on offense, Brooks is a very good player. Elite defense, good shooter. He played under Jenkins the last four years and shooting it 15 times a game was just his role, the coach never told him otherwise. Look at their personnel, their primary scorer was their pg, and really they didn’t have another elite shot creator, Bane is a great shooter and Jjj can’t create. Under a different coach his rookie year Brooks only shot 9 times a game in 28 mpg. On the rockets all the actions are going to be run through fvv and Sengun whether it’sa pick and roll, dho or a post up. If we need an isolation bucket it’s either Jalen or Sengun or fvv, or kpj off the bench. There’s no need for Brooks to create offense here, unlike in Memphis.

The counter to that is Brooks is some delusional chucker that can’t be convinced. There’s that one article with one single quote as proof that he wants to do more. At the end of the day that’s why Udoka is here for. Marcus smart always thought he could do more on offense even though they had Tatum and Brown. It was Udoka who reined him in, establish a hierarchy and they took off on offense. I have full faith that he will be able to do the same here with Brooks. If he can’t and Brooks is still shooting 15 times a game then I’ll agree that this is a failure on Stone to bring him in on this contract and a failure on Udoka who approved it. But if he can, then Brooks is going to be a very good player for us on a contract that’s actually going to look good in year 3 and 4.

ilias and Hemingway like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Nice to hear someone using reason and an even temperate on this signing. Time will tell. It could be a really good signing or a really bad one. All the emotional hand wringing about losing one guy that has wanted out for two years and two others that likely were going to get garbage minutes at best is just such whiny sniveling BS. I’m hoping Ime and Stone were right on this one, but if they weren’t it in no way cripples our flexibility to any great extent. Most everybody on this board abhorred our defense last year, so we brought in a defensive coach and 2 plus defenders to start, wow what a f*ck up!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is a 150% chance this contract goes badly

cdastros, OremLK and ArtV like this.
  7. a time to chill

I like all the signings except Brooks which was a massive overpay. It's still not clear who the Rockets were bidding against. I don't think this nutsack puncher is that much of an upgrade over what you could get from Eason or KJ Martin.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Westbrook all over again.

People convincing themselves that he will change and be awesome for us.

Good luck.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dillon Brooks next year:

[​IMG]

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For a moment I thought it wasn't Dillon Brooks. But the hairdo gave it away.

OremLK likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

^this. People's desire don't usually just disappear. If he was doing it so he could be more appealing and get the bag, since he got paid here; maybe that desire will be less.

For folks who says Ime can just deal with difficult personalities. It's possible Dillion will buy in; but wouldn't Rocket fans prefer it happen with least amount of Ime intervention necessary? Ime is tasked with installing a new system for all the players. The least amount of unnecessary player headaches the better right?

a time to chill likes this.
  12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Where did this nonsense he's a good player come from? All of his metrics say otherwise. He's a net negative on the floor.

Yung-T, jordnnnn, AXG and 1 other person like this.
  13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Watching Tari tonight made me wonder how big of a mistake this signing is.

VV
    Green
    Tari
    Bari
    Sengun

cdastros, pippendagimp, ilias and 2 others like this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The good news is - we have 4 years to find out.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's summer league ball, taper expectations.

16. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

While I do like Udoka, I don't see him as this miracle worker who will suddenly get problem players to fall in line. Otherwise he could have helped salvaged the sh*tshows that happened in Philly and Brooklyn when he was assistant coach.

We'll see 2 or 3 years from now if Brooks doesn't work out and we're forced to dump him like Ryno (by attaching picks, taking equally terrible contracts, and giving up decent role players).

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Like u said Time will tell. If the two first round players that we essentially trade away for nothing actually becomes legit players. If brooks is a smaller selfish c. Wood. If brooks buys into ime role for him. If brooks improves his game. Many factors and variables that can determine if we signed him to a good/bad contract.

My initial thought is it is a sht signing. We overpay for his service and if one of the younger players outplay him then hes essentially a 20 mil bench player, gonna cost more assets to unload him. Also I think garuba has potential to b a superior defender than brooks.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would like to see them solve their shooter issues.

Since that infamous WCF against GSW when they shot horrendously, I did not feel they had shooters.

That was 5 years ago and ever since.

Ime knows that San Antonio always had nice and cheap shooters.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Should've gotten Ja and Miller if we needed og shooters.

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean I would like to know who Udoka as a person is and what he is all about.

I know he is from the Old Pop school but I would like to know who he really is, he has to be a different guy than Pop and I would like to know the difference.

That means his every move should and would be scrutinized.